5.56 info - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > 5.56 info

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 04:58 AM   #21
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2091 Times on 1137 Posts
Likes Given: 755

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
Yes and no. Sale of the actual ammo was restricted many years ago. The actual stuff that is made for the military and meets the standards is not sold directly to civilians. Stuff that is done as over runs has cosmetic defects or fails to meet the exact standards can be sold to civilians. This is where people will see an "X" in front of the military designation for a given round. For example Federal (the company that currently runs the government contract for ammo produced at the Lake City plant) will release lots of XM193 (55 gr FMJ) and XM855 (Green tipped FMJ penetrator rounds), that were not picked up for the contract purchase. They will release some in boxes marked with the XM designation, and others make it into their American Eagle line of ammo. The XM versions use military componenets, but certain lots may not meet accuracy, velocity, or standard deviation criteria for the contract specifications. They may have brass that didn't meet annealing standards, or has tarnish spots or other cosmetic defects. So it may not be quite as hot or accurate as the stuff that makes the cut, but it is usually fine for plinking, and training and often is still at a higher standard than some other commercial ammo that doesn't need to meet a contract standard.
I didn't know that. Learn something new everyday.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 01-27-2013, 06:16 AM   #22

Liked 180 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 129

I use my mini-14 and del-ton sporting rifles for coyote and deer hunting. I mostly use 60gr. sierra varmiter on coyote and 65gr gamekings for deer. I personally will not shoot either one past 200yrds with a 223 but inside that its very effective.

Barnes, Hornady, Nosler, Sierra, Remington, Winchester and Im sure others make bullets capable of hunting both. Im a reloader so I have tried most and its something I highly recommend.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:18 PM   #23

6.8apc vs 5.56 -Compare and contrast the two rounds. Which is better and why ? Which is easier to get a hold of? What do you use each ammo for? Which has a better effective range? Cost ?

Old 01-27-2013, 12:41 PM   #24

Liked 121 Times on 88 Posts

I always chuckle when I hear people asking about the "military green tip, armor piercing" rounds. they watch too many movies. Even LEOs are not all that well educated on firearms, ballistics, and capabilities. My sister is a records clerk for the local sheriffs department, and was commenting on how everyone was nervous/worried because during a recent break in, an AR-15 was stolen, and the weapon was loaded with "Military green tip, armor piercing ammo"

I had to inform her how even lead core, copper jacket rounds will punch clean through steel plate. I have some 3/8" steel plate that I was plinking at. my 9mm, .40, and .45 would hit it and just fragment, not even leave a mark on the plate. my AR would burn through it like it was paper. Even the hollowpoint .223 that I had, would burn through the steel plate.

It's somewhat disturbing how many cops think that their soft kevlar vests will stop anything.