5.45x39
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > 5.45x39

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2013, 11:55 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jpattersonnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: South central,NH
Posts: 5,099
Liked 747 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 793

Default 5.45x39

I really wish someone would make a varmint gun in this caliber. I already own a CIP chambered CZ in 5.56/.223, but I like this cartridge. I bet it would be perfect for 35gr to 60gr. . Just a thought. I like different. Not to mention you can get 1080rnd cans of ammo for under 180.00 for trigger time.

__________________

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

jpattersonnh is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 01-27-2013, 10:55 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
locutus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 10,254
Liked 6600 Times on 3677 Posts
Likes Given: 6248

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
I really wish someone would make a varmint gun in this caliber. I already own a CIP chambered CZ in 5.56/.223, but I like this cartridge. I bet it would be perfect for 35gr to 60gr. . Just a thought. I like different. Not to mention you can get 1080rnd cans of ammo for under 180.00 for trigger time.

I have an AK74 semi and I really fell in love with the 5.45 round.
locutus is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:22 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jpattersonnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: South central,NH
Posts: 5,099
Liked 747 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 793

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
I have an AK74 semi and I really fell in love with the 5.45 round.
I'm selling my Romanian built AK74 semi. I love the round also. Just wish there was a bolt gun for it. I bet in a 24" barreled bolt gun it would be pretty devastating. Average in a 16" AK is 2900fps, bet it would hit 3200 as is.
__________________

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

jpattersonnh is offline  
locutus Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:27 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
bluez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,298
Liked 404 Times on 263 Posts
Likes Given: 1441

Default

Ithink its a great round and love its availability.

if I wasnt already fully committed ot the AR platform with multiple guns and a large stash of 5.56 I might go there.
but i have too many guns now as it is.

If I were to start over I might considir going the AK74/5.45mm route and save tons of money

__________________
https://www.numbersusa.com/content/

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

EVERY DAY MEN WHO WILL FOLLOW ORDERS TO KILL YOU, EXERCISE. DO YOU?
bluez is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:47 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
locutus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 10,254
Liked 6600 Times on 3677 Posts
Likes Given: 6248

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluez View Post
Ithink its a great round and love its availability.

if I wasnt already fully committed ot the AR platform with multiple guns and a large stash of 5.56 I might go there.
but i have too many guns now as it is.

If I were to start over I might considir going the AK74/5.45mm route and save tons of money
Get a 5,45 upper for the AR
__________________

War is the continuation of politics by other means.
Carl von Clausewitz
V
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.
Winston Churchill

locutus is offline  
jpattersonnh Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:59 PM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jpattersonnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: South central,NH
Posts: 5,099
Liked 747 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 793

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
Get a 5,45 upper for the AR
+1..................
__________________

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

jpattersonnh is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:37 AM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
bluez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,298
Liked 404 Times on 263 Posts
Likes Given: 1441

Default

But an AR upper still means the steel case problems with a direct impingement gas system exist.

Then I might as well go ahead and buy Wolf in 223 and get the same price/problems trade-offs with my exisitng AR's

Or is there a piston 5.45mm upper anywhere?

__________________
https://www.numbersusa.com/content/

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

EVERY DAY MEN WHO WILL FOLLOW ORDERS TO KILL YOU, EXERCISE. DO YOU?
bluez is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:45 AM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jpattersonnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: South central,NH
Posts: 5,099
Liked 747 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 793

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluez View Post
But an AR upper still means the steel case problems with a direct impingement gas system exist.

Then I might as well go ahead and buy Wolf in 223 and get the same price/problems trade-offs with my exisitng AR's

Or is there a piston 5.45mm upper anywhere?
The chamber is not the same. The case also is also tapered slightly. Sure the cases get extra heat from the direct gas system, but if the upper is designed correctly, you should not have an issue.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5.45×39mm
__________________

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

jpattersonnh is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:45 AM   #9
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Reno,Texas
Posts: 10,211
Liked 6576 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default

You could look into a Steyr SSG-82. It's a 5.45x39mm bolt action sniper rifle. I saw an old auction for one from 2008. It was listed for $1400. You may be able to find one cheaper, or they may cost more now. Alternatively, you could have an Marlin X7 or an old Mauser rechambered for the round.

Here's what the SSG-82 looks like.



Here's a link to the Marlin.

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/CenterfireBoltAction/x7.asp

__________________

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 01-28-2013 at 02:48 AM.
texaswoodworker is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:53 PM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jpattersonnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: South central,NH
Posts: 5,099
Liked 747 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 793

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
You could look into a Steyr SSG-82. It's a 5.45x39mm bolt action sniper rifle. I saw an old auction for one from 2008. It was listed for $1400. You may be able to find one cheaper, or they may cost more now. Alternatively, you could have an Marlin X7 or an old Mauser rechambered for the round.

Here's what the SSG-82 looks like.



Here's a link to the Marlin.

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/CenterfireBoltAction/x7.asp
An old Mauser? Not a bad idea w/ a yugo intermediate action.
Not My standard '98 actions though. If I were to strip one, it would be for a 9.3x62. I have a rifle that I may do just that with one day. Have you seen the $$ of 5.45 now. Holy Sh!t. $100.00 increase in just a couple weeks per can(1080rnds). Reloads for my .223/5.56 CZ are going to suit me fine.
__________________

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

jpattersonnh is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
5.45x39 vs 7.62x39 potentialglock AK & SKS Discussion 1 12-21-2012 04:21 PM
5.45x39 stoppingpower Ammunition & Reloading 9 09-29-2012 04:51 PM
5.45x39 Hlander Ammunition & Reloading 8 02-19-2012 06:36 PM
5.45x39 Hlander Ammunition & Reloading 3 02-14-2012 01:41 AM
5.45x39 ChuckNorris AK & SKS Discussion 3 01-11-2008 05:02 AM