You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

5.45 Ak optic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2015, 10:37 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 248 Times on 184 Posts

Sometimes I feel like the only person known to man with this idea....

Old 05-21-2015, 11:38 AM   #42

Liked 6342 Times on 4172 Posts
Likes Given: 3247

I had the same setup on my AK, only the dogleg wasn't as nice. And another on a Mosin.
File Type: jpg image.jpg (41.7 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by Mercator; 05-21-2015 at 11:41 AM.

Old 05-21-2015, 11:42 AM   #43

Haha, I'm not the only one I guess . Still don't know what mount to go with....

Old 05-21-2015, 11:47 AM   #44

The lowest you can find. One is sold by Arsenal - if you can find it. They sell quickly for $100 or so.

Old 05-23-2015, 12:44 AM   #45
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2056 Times on 1128 Posts
Likes Given: 872

Austin92,

The RS Regulate mount is going to be one of the lowest mounts, if not the lowest mount (there was a mount made by a Bulgarian outfit awhile back that may have been a little lower, sold by Kalinka Optics, but I can't recall), you can get your hands on that doesn't integrate the rail with the receiver cover. I haven't found lower mounts that aren't integrated with the receiver. The Arsenal mounts are higher, but not much higher, and considerably less expensive.

Any machinist worth his salt could make an adjustable AK scope to permit mounting of optics as low to the receiver cover as possible, but so far whomever has the equipment to make such a mount has opted not to because fixed mounts are simpler (and therefore less expensive) to manufacture.

I've had conversations about this type of stuff with various manufacturers over the years (folks who make parts for the AR and AK) and it always comes down to cost, as that's what drives sales.

In any event, I've listed three options that would fulfill your optics mounting requirements

1. RS Regulate - Lowest to dust cover, but expensive

2. Midwest Industries AK 30MM Side Scope Mount - Only slightly higher, but considerably less expensive (once you factor the price of scope rings into the purchase price of your mounting solution)

3. KVAR SM-13 - Highest mount in relation to dust cover, now apparently more expensive than the Midwest Industries mount (used to be around $100) and that's not including scope rings, but less expensive than the RS Regulate option if you purchase inexpensive rings

If someone is aware of another option that doesn't cost more than the three options I've listed and provides an equivalent capability, I'd love to know about it.

Old 05-23-2015, 06:35 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512 View Post
Austin92,

The RS Regulate mount is going to be one of the lowest mounts, if not the lowest mount (there was a mount made by a Bulgarian outfit awhile back that may have been a little lower, sold by Kalinka Optics, but I can't recall), you can get your hands on that doesn't integrate the rail with the receiver cover. I haven't found lower mounts that aren't integrated with the receiver. The Arsenal mounts are higher, but not much higher, and considerably less expensive.

Any machinist worth his salt could make an adjustable AK scope to permit mounting of optics as low to the receiver cover as possible, but so far whomever has the equipment to make such a mount has opted not to because fixed mounts are simpler (and therefore less expensive) to manufacture.

I've had conversations about this type of stuff with various manufacturers over the years (folks who make parts for the AR and AK) and it always comes down to cost, as that's what drives sales.

In any event, I've listed three options that would fulfill your optics mounting requirements

1. RS Regulate - Lowest to dust cover, but expensive

2. Midwest Industries AK 30MM Side Scope Mount - Only slightly higher, but considerably less expensive (once you factor the price of scope rings into the purchase price of your mounting solution)

3. KVAR SM-13 - Highest mount in relation to dust cover, now apparently more expensive than the Midwest Industries mount (used to be around $100) and that's not including scope rings, but less expensive than the RS Regulate option if you purchase inexpensive rings

If someone is aware of another option that doesn't cost more than the three options I've listed and provides an equivalent capability, I'd love to know about it.

I was aware the rs is regarded as one of the better quality mounts which is why I chose it. I'd rather piece together a project and have to use lay-a-way at the lgs then settle for lesser quality parts. With the 180$ mount and 500$ 1-4 viper pst I'll have in optics almost what I paid for the rifle lol. I was just up in the air on what upper section to get from rs regulate. I attached some pictures a few post back

Old 05-26-2015, 12:41 AM   #47
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2056 Times on 1128 Posts
Likes Given: 872

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin92 View Post
I was aware the rs is regarded as one of the better quality mounts which is why I chose it. I'd rather piece together a project and have to use lay-a-way at the lgs then settle for lesser quality parts. With the 180$ mount and 500$ 1-4 viper pst I'll have in optics almost what I paid for the rifle lol. I was just up in the air on what upper section to get from rs regulate. I attached some pictures a few post back
Quality optics and mounts have always been fairly pricey. All of the optics I have invested in are a substantial portion of the purchase price of the rifle or more expensive than the rifle.

In any event, you typically get what you pay for.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:49 PM   #48

You can do just fine with a taller $20 QD mount like the one I rigged on a M39 rifle, below.
File Type: jpg image.jpg (41.7 KB, 14 views)

Old 05-27-2015, 10:18 PM   #49
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5853 Times on 2703 Posts
Likes Given: 2804

Austin,

Just to let you know I recently put this mount on my MK-90 AK. Had to do a little precision fitting work on my particular rifle but works well. I do have a red dot on it and not a larger scope. But believe it would work fine with a scope seems good and solid. But honestly 300-400 on a man size target for an AK is about max with consistency. Of course there is some much better ammunition available toady regarding accuracy!

File Type: jpg AK Dust Cover Scope Mount.jpg (62.1 KB, 12 views)

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed. Unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.”
James Madison. Author of the 2nd Amendment

Last edited by Sniper03; 05-27-2015 at 10:21 PM.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:21 AM   #50

I have already decided on the mount I want to use, I was just asking about options on that specific mount. But with factory hornady ammunition I just want minute of man at 4-500yds. Moa at 100yds. Later down the road I plan to order custom dies, form some 222 Remington brass, swage .224 bullets down to .221 in a custom bullet swagger lee said they'd make for me. Then to top it off, make my own load data. It's a huge project but I'm tired of AR guys with 4-12x50 scopes arguing the 400yd range is why AR's are better. I have no issue with AR's but this project is purely fueled by ak haters.