.450 Marlin bolt action
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > .450 Marlin bolt action

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2014, 12:52 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 110 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default .450 Marlin bolt action

Am considering a .450 Marlin bolt gun.

Wondering if anybody has heard of this being done?

.458 Winchester is close to 45-90 dimensions, I believe the .450 Marlin would be more suitable for my uses as it is closer to 45-70 length.

Will have to check, but it seems like it just might cycle through a short action with a magnum bolt face and magazine. - A WSM gun might convert well, for example.

I guess a good way to check would be to see if the Browning BLR in .450 Marlin is a long or short action gun.

Edit: The .450 Marlin case is 2.1 inches long. - Definitely suitable for a short action rifle.

Kind Regards, Salvo

Last edited by Salvo; 07-29-2014 at 01:07 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-29-2014, 04:36 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1195 Times on 819 Posts
Likes Given: 1201

Built on the H&H case, don`t know about a bolt gun, but I have a buddy that has a Magnum Research Revolver with a 10-inch Barrel in 450 Marlin, its wicked !...............

When all else fails.

Old 07-29-2014, 05:23 PM   #3

Ay yi yi! - I'd feel safer going out on a date with my first wife that to touch that thing off!

The Magnum Research guns are built heavy though, it may not be as bad as I am imagining.

On a short action rifle, I would want a medium heavy barrel, 22 inches at least and you can bet that I'd have a heavy-duty recoil pad on it. A 1.5-4 compact scope would be about right, and one way or another, at least 7 pounds weight.

I'm going to ask around the Savage experts and see if I can make up a Savage model 16 for .450 Marlin. It would be good for anything no further than 250 yards off. The sticking point as usual on deals like this will be getting the magazine and feeding worked out.

Kind Regards, Salvo

Old 07-30-2014, 01:17 PM   #4

I feel that .450 Marlin is great for the lever guns - but it's a real sleeper for a good, accurate short-action bolt rifle, where it could be utilized to it's fullest potential.

The Browning BAR Safari is another design that would be outstanding with this cartridge.

Kind Regards, Salvo

Old 07-30-2014, 01:32 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I have kind of been looking at another Handi-Rifle in the .444 Marlin, well another barrel anyway !.....................

When all else fails.

Old 07-31-2014, 03:08 AM   #6

I would think the 450 would be very similar to a 458 American, I have seen many 458 American rifles built on 98 mauser actions.

Last edited by kctgb; 07-31-2014 at 03:13 AM.

Old 07-31-2014, 04:43 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

The .450 Marlin is just a shortened .458 Win. Mag.....................

When all else fails.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kctgb View Post
I would think the 450 would be very similar to a 458 American, I have seen many 458 American rifles built on 98 mauser actions.
From a ballistic standpoint, I think that we all know where Marlin got the idea. Fred didn't get to see his idea become standardized and popular, but I like to think that he is smiling today in heaven as he looks down to see the .450 Marlin.

The Marlin folks carefully thought through the .450 Marlin, and it has a few advantages over Fred Barnes' wildcat, the .458 American.

First, it is now a standardized round, no longer a wildcat so you can buy factory ammunition, brass, etc.. Chamber reamers and reloading dies are off the shelf, not expensive special order items.

Second and perhaps most significant, the slightly wider belt prevents short .450 Marlins from being mistakenly chambered in, let's say a 7mm Remington Mag for example with disastrous results.

The advantage of the .450 Marlin over the 45-70 is that the case may hold 10% less water than the 45-70, but on the other hand it is rated for much higher pressure and will chamber in much wider variety of strong, modern guns. The belt prevents hot .450 Marlin loads from mistakenly being put into a trapdoor Springfield for example - with disastrous results.

Being rimless, the .450 Marlin can and will readily feed through a wide variety of modern rifle designs that the rimmed 45-70 just won't work in.

I'll be setting up my switch-barrel Savage short action model 16 for it, and no custom work will be involved beyond ordering a barrel so chambered.
Standard Savage parts will give me the proper bolt head and magazine to interchangeably convert my 7mm-08 into a .450 Marlin - and back whenever I get in the mood to shoot something different. Total cost will be in the neighborhood of 300 dollars, maybe 350.

So far I have a heavy 24" .243 barrel that makes the gun a superb long-range varminter, and a sporter-contour 24" 7mm-08 barrel that makes it a creditable big game rifle. Having a 22" .450 Marlin barrel too will make this rifle a good guide gun for the largest and most dangerous game, and switching from one barrel to another only takes me twenty minutes or so.

Truth be told, a 338 Federal or 358 Winchester barrel would serve pretty much the same purpose, but I am interested in shooting the .450 Marlin with the new, pointy Lever-evolution bullets made by Hornady, which in theory should give me a brush gun that is still good a bit past 200 yards or so.

My first rifle I bought as a teenager was a Marlin 1895G in 45-70... It'll be nice to own a serious thumper again.

Kind Regards, Salvo

Last edited by Salvo; 07-31-2014 at 02:22 PM.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:47 AM   #9

I'm kind of interested on how you plan to use the same magazine for two or three different cartridges. The 450 is a lot bigger in diameter than the 7-08, I would think some modifications will have to be done to the rifle/magazine for the 450 to cycle through the magazine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvo View Post
From a ballistic standpoint, I think that we all know where Marlin got the idea. Fred didn't get to see his idea become standardized and popular, but I like to think that he is smiling today in heaven as he looks down to see the .450 Marlin.

The Marlin folks carefully thought through the .450 Marlin, and it has a few advantages over Fred Barnes' wildcat, the .458 American.

First, it is now a standardized round, no longer a wildcat so you can buy factory ammunition, brass, etc.. Chamber reamers and reloading dies are off the shelf, not expensive special order items.

Second and perhaps most significant, the slightly wider belt prevents short .450 Marlins from being mistakenly chambered in, let's say a 7mm Remington Mag for example with disastrous results.

The advantage of the .450 Marlin over the 45-70 is that the case may hold 10% less water than the 45-70, but on the other hand it is rated for much higher pressure and will chamber in much wider variety of strong, modern guns. The belt prevents hot .450 Marlin loads from mistakenly being put into a trapdoor Springfield for example - with disastrous results.

Being rimless, the .450 Marlin can and will readily feed through a wide variety of modern rifle designs that the rimmed 45-70 just won't work in.

I'll be setting up my switch-barrel Savage short action model 16 for it, and no custom work will be involved beyond ordering a barrel so chambered.
Standard Savage parts will give me the proper bolt head and magazine to interchangeably convert my 7mm-08 into a .450 Marlin - and back whenever I get in the mood to shoot something different. Total cost will be in the neighborhood of 300 dollars, maybe 350.

So far I have a heavy 24" .243 barrel that makes the gun a superb long-range varminter, and a sporter-contour 24" 7mm-08 barrel that makes it a creditable big game rifle. Having a 22" .450 Marlin barrel too will make this rifle a good guide gun for the largest and most dangerous game, and switching from one barrel to another only takes me twenty minutes or so.

Truth be told, a 338 Federal or 358 Winchester barrel would serve pretty much the same purpose, but I am interested in shooting the .450 Marlin with the new, pointy Lever-evolution bullets made by Hornady, which in theory should give me a brush gun that is still good a bit past 200 yards or so.

My first rifle I bought as a teenager was a Marlin 1895G in 45-70... It'll be nice to own a serious thumper again.

Old 08-01-2014, 02:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kctgb View Post
I'm kind of interested on how you plan to use the same magazine for two or three different cartridges. The 450 is a lot bigger in diameter than the 7-08, I would think some modifications will have to be done to the rifle/magazine for the 450 to cycle through the magazine.
I'll be using different magazines. With the Savage bolt actions, you can swap out the barrel, bolt head and magazine parts to shoot just about any cartridge that will fit your action.

Not counting benchrest and varmint actions, Savage has three action types: Short with small shank, long with small shank, and short with large shank for the new short magnum cartridges.

My model 16 is a short, small-shank action, which can handle anything from 221 fireball up to .450 Marlin.

Once you get used to not having to buy another gun for every cartridge you shoot, it spoils you pretty quick. - It's kind of ruined me for some of my favorite bolt actions; The Winchester model 70, the Browning X-bolt and the Weatherby Vanguards. - I've been looking at those, but I keep thinking that if I just buy a long action Savage model 116 to go with my short action model 16, then I could shoot just about anything except the the short magnums, which I don't particularly give a hoot about.

The accuracy with the Savages is outstanding. The trigger is the best factory trigger on the market.

Switching the parts around is quite easy, and doesn't take long. Barrel swaps for instance typically take less than half an hour. Some do it in ten minutes, but I tend to take my time.

Kind Regards, Salvo

Last edited by Salvo; 08-01-2014 at 03:19 AM.