.408 Chey-Tac vs. .416 Barrett - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > .408 Chey-Tac vs. .416 Barrett

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2014, 12:54 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Default Caliber vs Ranges in Most Areas

I had a Springfield Armory M1A, glass-bedded by the factory; no scope; the sling I had was OD and seemed to be made of a heavy cloth, and I used 20-rd mags. With cheapo USA "ball" (actual bullet was BT) ammo, from a standing position (but leaning against a telephone pole) I put 20 rds through a hole I could cover with a quarter -- in under 25 seconds, at 105 yards. It was a wonderful, delightful gun. I parted with it when a guy offered me half again what I had in it after only 6 months; for my having so done, I could now kick myself!

I had an old bolt-action, single-shot .22 rifle (it would shoot rimfire shorts, longs and long-rifles; I preferred the latter, and generally bought the fastest round I could get because practical ranges were so short and ammo was so cheap). A friend and I were plinking one day and decided to have a contest for extreme-range shots. The targets on which I won were 4 glass bottles(which I now discourage anyone from shooting, as it's an environmental menace to the innocent) buried in the side of a sand hill several hundred yards distant; only the necks of the bottles were exposed, as I didn't want to be credited with "mere luck." The sun shining on the exposed rims made bright little arcs from where I had taken my shooting position; I aimed high, but the first shot fell short and left (landed about 220-230 degrees and 150 ft from the first rim). My second shot landed about 240-250 degrees and 50-60 ft from the first rim; my third shot landed about a foot to the left of the first rim, and on the same level as the target. Having thus determined where in the sky I needed to point my barrel, the next three shots passed through the necks of successive target bottles, so I didn't get to see the puff of sand; I got my breathing a little off on the last shot; it landed slightly right, just outside the rim of the fourth bottle, but close enough that it broke the rim and the side out of that bottle. The bottoms were shattered from the first three bottles. I don't know the exact range of those shots, but I was aiming upwards at nearly 45 degrees, and the targets were slightly below my elevation.

If you take your time and don't doubt yourself, you can make shots that will astound your friends.

Probably the most distant shot I took with the .308 was in the 325-yard range (+ or - maybe 15 yards): anywhere but at a range devoted to that purpose, the opportunity to make long shots is increasingly diminishing. I tried the "just shoot" lifestyle for a while -- not really aiming at anything, but burning through a bunch of ammo; I didn't have fun, and I spent an ungodly amount of dough. Nowadays, I've adopted the philosophy I had in high school: don't shoot at anything you don't intend to hit; consequently, I take a lot fewer shots than most others -- but I never miss, either.

Old 08-17-2014, 12:59 AM   #12

Default Caliber vs Ranges in Most Areas

I had a Springfield Armory M1A, glass-bedded by the factory; no scope; the sling I had was OD and seemed to be made of a heavy cloth, and I used 20-rd mags. With cheapo USA "ball" (actual bullet was BT) ammo, from a standing position (but leaning against a telephone pole) I put 20 rds through a hole I could cover with a quarter -- in under 25 seconds, at 105 yards.

It was a wonderful, delightful gun, but I parted with it when a guy offered me half again what I had in it after only 6 months; for my having so done, I could now kick myself!

I had an old bolt-action, single-shot .22 rifle (it would shoot rimfire shorts, longs and long-rifles; I preferred the latter, and generally bought the fastest round I could get because practical ranges were so short and ammo was so cheap). A friend and I were plinking one day and decided to have a contest for extreme-range shots.

The targets on which I won were 4 glass bottles(which I now discourage anyone from shooting, as it's an environmental menace to the innocent) buried in the side of a sand hill several hundred yards distant; only the necks of the bottles were exposed, as I didn't want to be credited with "mere luck."

The sun shining on the exposed rims made bright little arcs from where I had taken my shooting position; I aimed high, but the first shot fell short and left (landed about 220-230 degrees and 150 ft from the first rim). My second shot landed about 240-250 degrees and 50-60 ft from the first rim; my third shot landed about a foot to the left of the first rim, and on the same level as the target.

Having thus determined where in the sky I needed to point my barrel, the next three shots passed through the necks of successive target bottles, so I didn't get to see the puff of sand; I got my breathing a little off on the last shot; it landed slightly right, just outside the rim of the fourth bottle, but close enough that it broke the rim and the side out of that bottle. The bottoms were shattered from the first three bottles. I don't know the exact range of those shots, but I was aiming upwards at nearly 45 degrees, and the targets were slightly below my elevation.

If you take your time and don't doubt yourself, you can make shots that will astound your friends.

Probably the most distant shot I took with the .308 was in the 325-yard range (+ or - maybe 15 yards): anywhere but at a range devoted to that purpose, the opportunity to make long shots is increasingly diminishing. I tried the "just shoot" lifestyle for a while -- not really aiming at anything, but burning through a bunch of ammo; I didn't have fun, and I spent an ungodly amount of dough. Nowadays, I've adopted the philosophy I had in high school: don't shoot at anything you don't intend to hit; consequently, I take a lot fewer shots than most others -- but I never miss, either.

Old 08-17-2014, 02:09 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 758 Times on 508 Posts
Likes Given: 49

338 Lapua, 300 winmag, and 308 are what I have experience with in a long distance "combat" mission and 338 by far is one of the best rounds I have ever used, but for the most part the snipers I have met mostly used the 300 winmag and the other SDM's and myself all used souped up M-14's at the time (2003-2004) to which they have now added more mods and call the M21. The one I used I had made accurate shots out to around 875 meters with.

this message was sent using my Barrett 50 straight to your brain.

Old 08-17-2014, 02:23 AM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5745 Times on 3001 Posts
Likes Given: 380

just a fyi original posting was 2009. 5 years ago. the op has 46 posts so prolly not around anymore.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-17-2014, 02:26 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 758 Times on 508 Posts
Likes Given: 49

lol someone is resurrecting the dead here!

this message was sent using my Barrett 50 straight to your brain.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 08-17-2014, 02:47 AM   #16
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1333 Times on 698 Posts
Likes Given: 612

Thanks for that Jon! Unfortunately, everyone is now reading it as a resurrected post!

For those reading this currently, as with any firearm that is highly specialized in function, you have to ask yourself if it will hang on the wall to talk about or if it will be shot. If you plan to actually use the weapon, you will need a considerable amount of ammo, and the easier it is to find and purchase, the better. Therefore, neither one of these is a good shooter for me. Anything in .50 BMG will cover the same range, can be stoked with all civilian and many surplus military rounds which are much cheaper and more available than specialty ammo, and cost 1/2 to 2/3 less than a specialty weapon. The BORS adds computer accuracy to any Barrett and handheld computers are available for other weapons systems, but the ability to put 100's of affordable rounds down range is what will turn you from a long-range owner to a long-range shooter!

Perfect practice makes perfect!

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

People Like This 
Old 08-17-2014, 04:38 PM   #17

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

OP: the .375 CheyTac has the highest ballistic coefficient of any round on record. Desert Tactical Arms made consistent hits at 3,080 yards with their HTI platform chambered in this caliber. It has as much energy at 2,500 yards as the .357 mag has at the muzzle. It shoots flat and kicks little. If you're looking for the ultimate ultra-long-range anti-personnel cartridge, look no further.

http://www.dtacomlink.com/dta-dtm-3080-yards-with-hti-375-cheytac/

Imagine what they could do if they combined it with the TrackingPoint system and self-stabilizing bullets. 2-mile gun? Undoubtedly.

Old 08-24-2014, 06:58 PM   #18

Default Wisdom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
Thanks for that Jon! Unfortunately, everyone is now reading it as a resurrected post!

... the ability to put 100's of affordable rounds down range is what will turn you from a long-range owner to a long-range shooter!

Perfect practice makes perfect!
A-freaking-men!