3D Guns

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > 3D Guns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 04:47 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 711 Times on 380 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Default 3D Guns

I've heard a little bit about this over the past couple of months on NPR and Fox News but I thought the video was pretty cool. It shows that this clearly could be a viable source for absolutely anyone a few years down the road. Kind of crazy, but pretty interesting in a futuristic sort of way. Sharp kid to lead the charge too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DconsfGsXyA#

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

Last edited by CourtJester; 03-31-2013 at 04:51 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-01-2013, 02:42 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I watched this a few days ago (although briefly since I was at work ) and I'm a little confused. Is he printing just recievers or the bartel and everything?

Old 04-01-2013, 02:51 PM   #3

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts

Basically there printing a stripped lower receiver or in the case of magazine the hull or body of the mag. You still have to supply all the internals

RRA Predator Pursuit 20"
RRA Entry Tactical
G21SF,G23,G27
10/22, MKII

Old 04-01-2013, 04:41 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would assume as 3D printing progresses you could eventually print anything you needed for the gun. Pretty interesting though

Old 04-01-2013, 05:11 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8852 Times on 3833 Posts
Likes Given: 1381

Well, you cannot print steel springs, a steel bolt or bolt carrier, or a steel barrel. And the plastic firing pin just does not do very well.

As said- they are printing the parts of an AR type rifle that are not subject to high pressures. Shoot- you could make a lower out of a block of seasoned hardwood if you were so inclined. HAVE been them made out of heavy plastics. But that is the LOWER, not the upper.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:34 PM   #6

Liked 56 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 44

I would think that even at this point that the material used is just a minor delay in its developement. With advanced polymers its only a matter of time.
I am astounded by the intelect of this 24 year old, both in mechanics and in political reality. I know at 24 and fresh out of the military my mindset was no where near that.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.