You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

.338 Winchester Magnum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2017, 08:32 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Granted the .338 is probably more powerful than most will ever need for "hunting," but what about in the sniper role? What about sending bullet out beyond 1,000 meters?

Back in the Vietnam days the Air Force used to equip sharp-shooters with .338 WinMags to take out VC sappers hiding behind concrete pylons. The .338 would punch through and take out the bad guy!

For hunting in the contiguous 48 States....the .338 will DO IT ALL!

Old 08-11-2017, 01:49 PM   #22

Liked 6914 Times on 3784 Posts
Likes Given: 11824

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilibreaux View Post
Granted the .338 is probably more powerful than most will ever need for "hunting," but what about in the sniper role? What about sending bullet out beyond 1,000 meters?

Back in the Vietnam days the Air Force used to equip sharp-shooters with .338 WinMags to take out VC sappers hiding behind concrete pylons. The .338 would punch through and take out the bad guy!

For hunting in the contiguous 48 States....the .338 will DO IT ALL!
using a round for sniping is much different than hunting. totally different applications and requirements.

how many people are going to deer hunt at a 1000 meters?

i won't argue the power of the 338 Win. Mag. as i am very well aware of them since i have owned and shot quite a few in the past.

and the 30-06 has been proven time after time, of being able to effectively take any game in the lower 48 as well, without anywhere near the same recoil.
"the hate which we all bear with the most Christian patience, is the hate of those who envy us."
locutus Likes This 
Old 08-12-2017, 03:08 AM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4267 Times on 2419 Posts
Likes Given: 2729

The heavy bullets fired from magnum rifles have an advantage on Moose, Elk and Grizz. I doubt hunters who reside in states where whitetail deer are the primary big game understand this.
The smaller 30 caliber rifles etc are very challenged when shooting in open mountain parks and high Plaines . There is no way to stalk in many areas of Alaska and the mountain west states. Hunters who use the long range rifles are aware of their particular needs.

Last edited by CaptMidnight; 08-13-2017 at 12:42 PM.
Dallas53 Likes This 
Old 08-13-2017, 04:34 AM   #24

Liked 6914 Times on 3784 Posts
Likes Given: 11824

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMidnight View Post
The heavy bullets fired from magnum rifles have an advantage on Moose, Elk and Grizz. I doubt hunters who reside in states where whitetail deer are the primary big game understand this.
The smaller 30 caliber rifles etc are very challenged when shooting in open mountain parks and high planes. There is no way to stalk in many areas of Alaska and the mountain west states. Hunters who use the long range rifles are aware of their particular needs.
i am fully aware of that, and fully agree. the large bore magnum rifles do have their uses. but a person needs to realistically evaluate their needs for hunting. i have. we have no elk, no moose and no grizzly here in East Texas. a 30-06 will be more than adequate for any hunting that a person might do in East Texas. with minor exceptions, 150-200 yards would be considered a very long range shot on deer. our deer if they field dress out at over 150 lbs., that is a large deer. the longest shot i have ever taken a deer at was a little over 100 yards. i have owned many large bore magnum rifles over the years, but i don't anymore, because i don't have any need for them. the last two i still own are my 300 W.M. and my 7mm R.M. and only because i have some future plans as projects for them, but it doesn't involve hunting.
"the hate which we all bear with the most Christian patience, is the hate of those who envy us."

Old 08-13-2017, 12:49 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4267 Times on 2419 Posts
Likes Given: 2729

Hunting on private lands and deer leases is much different than the vast open Rocky Mtn states. In high open parks and mountain sides it is more often a lack of cover that restricts stalking.
The Grizz has been removed from the endangered list in much of the Rockies. The attacks and conflicts with hunters is more prevalent each year. Serious thought should be given to heavy bullets in the High Country.
Dallas53 Likes This 
Old 08-13-2017, 06:47 PM   #26

Liked 125 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilibreaux View Post
Anybody remember the .338 WinMag? I mean, the .338 Lapua gets all the "press" these days despite the fact that it only delivers a small amount more terminal effectiveness over the .338 WinMag. the Lapua is all about using the super-long Scenecar bullets and is thusly sized.

But...for all PRACTICAL purposes, the .338 WinMag is less expensive to own...FAR less expensive to be precise, and the ammo is also less expensive, yet fully capable of hitting with very close to the downrange force of the Lapua.

So let's hear it...WHY is the .338 Winchester Magnum not receiving the respect it deserves...EARNED way back in Vietnam when it was used by Air Force CC to take out VC sappers trying to hide behind concrete supports?

Mount a bolt-on recoil compensator (muzzle brake) and the mighty .338 recoil drops to .243 levels...

Kilibreaux,

Were up to 3 pages now;
I figure you got both sides of the 338 vs 30-06
And some info comparing the 338WM to the Lapua

So...Let me ask a question:
Do you have a 338WM or are you thinking of buying 1???