338 Winchester Mag - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > 338 Winchester Mag

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2011, 02:59 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durangokid
The .338 Win Mag. was developed to shoot 1,000 meter targets years ago. The .338 Win Mag is still being used by U.S. Sniper teams. The .338 Lapua has more horse power to neet the new sniper requirement of 1,500 meter rifles. The Canadians and Brits use it. The U.S. does not. I don't know that it is more accurate than a .338 Win Mag at normal hunting distances. The point is a .338 Win Mag. is one hell of good all round rifle.
By they way the 338 was developed in 1958 an first rifle chambered for it was the model 70 alaskan it was designed for heavy big game an deep penatration not shootin targets durangokid it was later used for that.

Old 12-13-2011, 03:17 AM   #32

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Like all Gtgs. it started life as a Wild Cat on rifle ranges and reloaders back rooms. That was before the marketing boys at Winchester got it. I was one of those young shooters back then. Not young any more. Tx for your post

Old 12-13-2011, 03:28 AM   #33

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Like all Gtgs. it started life as a Wild Cat on rifle ranges and reloaders back rooms. That was before the marketing boys at Winchester got it. I was one of those young shooters back then. Not young any more. Tx for your post
Very true, thank u charles o'neil, the great elmer keith, an mr hopkins, for all the work they an others did to develope such a very fine cartrige. Long live belted magnums.

Old 12-13-2011, 04:31 AM   #34

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
The .338 Win Mag. was developed to shoot 1,000 meter targets years ago. The .338 Win Mag is still being used by U.S. Sniper teams. The .338 Lapua has more horse power to neet the new sniper requirement of 1,500 meter rifles. The Canadians and Brits use it. The U.S. does not. I don't know that it is more accurate than a .338 Win Mag at normal hunting distances. The point is a .338 Win Mag. is one hell of good all round rifle.
The US Army DOES NOT use a .338 Win Mag, kid.

We currently use the .300 Win Mag, the .308, .338 LAPUA Mag. M-14, the .408 Chey Tac, and the Barrett .50.

Where are you getting your "facts"? Out of a rabbit hat???

"Adjust your DOPE Sergeant! No! Not the pills in your pocket, idiot! That stuff that lets you hit your target Sunshine!"

"Sua Sponte"

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his. General George Patton

Old 12-13-2011, 04:33 AM   #35

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

And before anyone tries to tell me I'm wrong, sit down and be quiet.

I'm a Sniper Instructor at the USASS. I know what I'm talking about

"Adjust your DOPE Sergeant! No! Not the pills in your pocket, idiot! That stuff that lets you hit your target Sunshine!"

"Sua Sponte"

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his. General George Patton

Old 12-13-2011, 08:42 AM   #36

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster View Post
Then what are u tryin to do except try to say the ,06, is close to the 338, come on the 338 smashes the 06 period
I'm going to give this one last try.

In no way, shape or form was I trying to compare the 30-06 and the 338 in terms of POWER. I agree, and have said several times now, that the 338 is more powerful. There's no need to tell me yet again.

The OP asked about the 338 as a long range round. I compared the TRAJECTORY of the 338 to the 30-06 because the 30-06 is a familiar round. No other comparison was intended.

Perhaps a picture will help:

(from http://www.federalpremium.com/products/rifle.aspx)

This is a comparison of three cartridge's TRAJECTORIES. The green line is the long range trajectory of a "woods round", the 338 Federal. The red line is a truly flat shooting round, the 25-06. The blue line is the 338 Magnum, which sort of splits the difference.

I didn't include the 30-06 for the sake of clarity, but trust me, its trajectory is virtually identical to the 338.

My point is that if you are going to choose a cartridge for long range shooting, there are better choices than the 338 WM in terms of trajectory. Not knocking it, just pointing out that there are flatter shooting cartridges out there. That's just the simple truth.

Other considerations may influence which round is "better" but the OP hasn't given enough information to make a more detailed decision.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:56 AM   #37

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by natman

I'm going to give this one last try.

In no way, shape or form was I trying to compare the 30-06 and the 338 in terms of POWER. I agree, and have said several times now, that the 338 is more powerful. There's no need to tell me yet again.

The OP asked about the 338 as a long range round. I compared the TRAJECTORY of the 338 to the 30-06 because the 30-06 is a familiar round. No other comparison was intended.

Perhaps a picture will help:

(from http://www.federalpremium.com/products/rifle.aspx)

This is a comparison of three cartridge's TRAJECTORIES. The green line is the long range trajectory of a "woods round", the 338 Federal. The red line is a truly flat shooting round, the 25-06. The blue line is the 338 Magnum, which sort of splits the difference.

I didn't include the 30-06 for the sake of clarity, but trust me, its trajectory is virtually identical to the 338.

My point is that if you are going to choose a cartridge for long range shooting, there are better choices than the 338 WM in terms of trajectory. Not knocking it, just pointing out that there are flatter shooting cartridges out there. That's just the simple truth.

Other considerations may influence which round is "better" but the OP hasn't given enough information to make a more detailed decision.
Yep. Maybe to the .338 Win Mag. Not a .338 Lapua Mag. Not even close

"Sua Sponte"

Old 12-13-2011, 01:56 PM   #38

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlsbadRanger06 View Post
Yep. Maybe to the .338 Win Mag. Not a .338 Lapua Mag. Not even close
The Lapua Mag is a whole 'nother animal. But the OP specifically asked about the 338 Winchester Magnum.

Old 12-13-2011, 06:59 PM   #39

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlsbadRanger06 View Post
And before anyone tries to tell me I'm wrong, sit down and be quiet.

I'm a Sniper Instructor at the USASS. I know what I'm talking about
You do any civilian instruction in your off time?

Old 12-13-2011, 07:09 PM   #40

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativH
You do any civilian instruction in your off time?
Every chance I get. My Dad and I own 1100 acres in NM, between Carlsbad and Eunice/Jal area where I've built a 1000M range and a 2000M range with 1/2" metal gong targets. I cut them in the shapes of human silhouettes and a few large game also....

I've also got another "Reactive Range", as I call it, that has pre-recorded slurs and quips of BGs from movies. It's also got actuated color targets that I got in an auction that sold off an old PDs equipment. It's a walk through course with 75 different targets and 15 scenarios.

I instruct here in Ga and when I'm in NM. I DO EVERYTHING for free because I enjoy it and I think everyone should know how since, as we all know, the right to have weapons is our God given, American right

"Sua Sponte"

Closed Thread