You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

.338 too much for deer hunting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2012, 03:08 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM

i removed posts that were either not contributing to the discussion by replying to posts that were argumentative and negative or were fighting with other members. if it continues those that disturb the peace further will ride pine for a few days. i prefer not to lock threads or give timeouts. please dont attack each other.

its over no further comments about it need be said.

enjoy the res of the evening discussing big bore hunting
Read above post I think we both understand where each other was coming from. As to attacks on each other??? What were u reading?? Come on moderators its difference of opinions, an beliefs on recoil not personal attacks of all people u should understand that

Old 03-04-2012, 03:14 AM   #42

I personally shot a 338 last year and killed two deer with one shot.I gut shot the buck and the round went through and hit a doe behind it. The round is a beast

Old 03-04-2012, 03:23 AM   #43

Liked 75 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpuddleman View Post
I personally shot a 338 last year and killed two deer with one shot.I gut shot the buck and the round went through and hit a doe behind it. The round is a beast
Did you hit where you were aiming?

Old 03-04-2012, 03:24 AM   #44

Liked 40 Times on 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM

i removed posts that were either not contributing to the discussion by replying to posts that were argumentative and negative or were fighting with other members. if it continues those that disturb the peace further will ride pine for a few days. i prefer not to lock threads or give timeouts. please dont attack each other.

its over no further comments about it need be said.

enjoy the res of the evening discussing big bore hunting
Lol y are u tell me I was trying to stop it

Old 03-04-2012, 03:45 AM   #45

Liked 61 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 428

I once owned a Winchester 70 in .338 Mag. I didn't mind the recoil but the harmonic of the bullet spinning down the barrel slapped the heck out of my cheek. I bought it for elk hunting but never used it. Could it be considered overkill? Yeah if you're doing shoulder, spine or heart shots but if you're a good shot and don't mind blowing their skulls to mush the .338 will do the job. They're a great bear rifle, especially for the large ones you'd expect to run into in Alaska. I've killed many deer with a 30-06, one with a Mini-14 and probably the most with a .44 Redhawk. But the thing I learned many years ago was that I hated wasting any meat and therefore now do only head or neck joint shots, what's great about that is that the animals drop where they stand. No need to follow blood trails or hoof tracks if they don't bleed externally.

Old 03-04-2012, 04:06 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger

Did you hit where you were aiming?
Yea buddy we love hearing stuff like gut shot deer, an killin 2 with one shot. Bad enough u made a crappy shot but tell it like u did, what a shame.

Old 03-04-2012, 04:08 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster

Yea buddy we love hearing stuff like gut shot deer, an killin 2 with one shot. Bad enough u made a crappy shot but tell it like u did, what a shame.
Lol I would hate to clean that deer

Old 03-04-2012, 04:14 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy573

Lol I would hate to clean that deer
No doubt about that, even hearin stories like that kind get under most hunters skin, well ethical ones, why would u shoot a deer with one standing behind it??? Never heard of a clear shot. Bad choice bad story to tell on this fourm

Old 03-04-2012, 04:18 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster

No doubt about that, even hearin stories like that kind get under most hunters skin, well ethical ones, why would u shoot a deer with one standing behind it??? Never heard of a clear shot. Bad choice bad story to tell on this fourm
I remember when I went hunting with my dad the first time lol he told me if gut shoot a deer then I have to clean it by my shelf

Old 03-04-2012, 04:26 AM   #50

All I can report is what I observed. Take this as one example. Several years ago, while on a Wyoming antelope hunt, I witnessed my brother-in-law shoot an antelope w/ his .338. He just likes the macho guns and that's perfectly ok. I can't remember what bullet weight he was using, but I know it was heavy. Anyway, he hit the buck antelope in the top of the shoulder at around 200 yards. At the report, the antelope jumped straight up into the air about 10 feet. It hit the ground stone dead. There was little meat damage; just a neat little hole poked straight through. The bullet didn't even expand, at least there was no evidence of expansion. Some bullets from smaller calibers than .338 may expand too quickly and cause immence meat damage. In this particular case, the .338 was the perfect deer/antelope cartridge.
cottontop