Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > .338 lapua? win mag? rem?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2011, 05:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Default .338 lapua? win mag? rem?

What's the real difference in all the different types of .338 rounds available?

EXPENDABLE

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-13-2011, 08:13 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16828 Times on 9752 Posts
Likes Given: 43891

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
What's the real difference in all the different types of .338 rounds available?

EXPENDABLE
they all use the .338 diameter bullet, but use different shell casings as all are different chamberings. shell casing size determines how much powder it can hold, and th .338 Lapua is the largest i believe, but also powder capacity equates to amount of recoil. hope this helps clear things up.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:38 PM   #3

Vaguely. I had that general understanding, what I'm failing to see is the purpose for doing so. Difference for long distance shooting, knock down power at impact, combinations of the two? I'm failing to see the point. I know a lot of manufacturers used to like to create their own rounds to force shooters into using their proprietary ammo, but I'd thought they'd moved beyond those kinds of games a century ago.

EXPENDABLE

Old 11-13-2011, 08:52 PM   #4

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
~snip~ I'm failing to see the point. I know a lot of manufacturers used to like to create their own rounds to force shooters into using their proprietary ammo, but I'd thought they'd moved beyond those kinds of games a century ago.

EXPENDABLE
......this will, I doubt, never go away. It's not just the ammunition manufacturers, but also the firearms manufacturers who are more responsible for it than the ammo guys.

I wouldn't call it a game.....it gives you a choice.....that is those of us who aren't going to tool up and make our own cartridge (wildcat). I thought the free market would allow various choices and that was good.....am I missing something?

Old 11-13-2011, 09:28 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Note that different cartridges have different case sizes, even though the bullets may be of a given caliber (diameter). In the case of .338s, the Lapua requires a long, "magnum" action, the Win Mag fits in a "long" or .30-'06-length action, and the .338 Ruger Compact Magnum fits in a short, .308-length action.

The greater the powder capacity, the heavier the bullet that can be efficiently propelled. The Lapua can work well with a 300-grain bullet, the Win Mag with a 250-grain, and the RCM with a 200 or 225-grain bullet.

So, it's not just a matter of marketing or planned obsolesence; the different .338s have different purposes. The Lapua is intended for long-range sniping where rifle size and weight are not particularly important. The Ruger can be fit into a compact, relatively light rifle good for pretty much anything up to the size of bear.

Regards,

Walt

Author, NEW! The M1911 Complete Assembly Guide, The M1911 Complete Owner's Guide,
The M14
and M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guides
and The AR-15 Complete Assembly and Owner's Guides
Certified Glock Armorer

Old 11-13-2011, 09:40 PM   #6

Now that clears some things up, thank you wj. My reference to proprietary calibers was it back in the days when manufacturers made both the weapons and the ammo, like winchester used to. Each manufacturer would often make a weapon only capable of using their ammo, eliminating the ability for other companies to compete. Buy their weapon, be forced to buy their ammo.

EXPENDABLE

Old 11-13-2011, 10:09 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4464 Times on 2355 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Quote:
Now that clears some things up, thank you wj. My reference to proprietary calibers was it back in the days when manufacturers made both the weapons and the ammo, like winchester used to. Each manufacturer would often make a weapon only capable of using their ammo, eliminating the ability for other companies to compete. Buy their weapon, be forced to buy their ammo.

EXPENDABLE
handloading has always kinda trumped that sorta proprietary thing but it still exists to some extent. i dont think anyone but lapua makes cases for the 338 lapua.

but even so just the price of bullets in .338 diameter is a little crazy. any 338 chambering lapua or not isnt cheap even for handloading.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-13-2011, 10:14 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
handloading has always kinda trumped that sorta proprietary thing but it still exists to some extent. i dont think anyone but lapua makes cases for the 338 lapua.

but even so just the price of bullets in .338 diameter is a little crazy. any 338 chambering lapua or not isnt cheap even for handloading.
For a given bullet weight and type, Hornady's pricing for .308 and .338 is pretty much the same. I believe that's because it's the raw material pricing that's the price driver. The same bullet weight = the same material cost, and the same bullet type = the same manufacturing cost.

Hornady makes .338 Lapua cases. See Hornady.com - Accurate, Deadly, Dependable - Hornady Manufacturing, Inc.

Regards,

Walt

Author, NEW! The M1911 Complete Assembly Guide, The M1911 Complete Owner's Guide,
The M14
Certified Glock Armorer

Old 11-13-2011, 10:23 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:

EXPENDABLE
The advent of SAAMI, the Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturer's Institute, provided a means by which chambers and ammunition could be standardized across the industry. In order to be granted a SAAMI-spec, the designer of the cartridge has to put the cartridge into the public domain. In contrast, for example the ".300 Whisper" is available only from JD Jones (SSK Industries), the designer: ammunition, cartridge cases, and chamber reamers; see .300 Whisper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. There is no SAAMI spec.

Regards,

Walt

The M14
Certified Glock Armorer

Old 11-14-2011, 07:42 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16828 Times on 9752 Posts
Likes Given: 43891

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjkuleck View Post
The advent of SAAMI, the Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturer's Institute, provided a means by which chambers and ammunition could be standardized across the industry. In order to be granted a SAAMI-spec, the designer of the cartridge has to put the cartridge into the public domain. In contrast, for example the ".300 Whisper" is available only from JD Jones (SSK Industries), the designer: ammunition, cartridge cases, and chamber reamers; see .300 Whisper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. There is no SAAMI spec.

Regards,

Walt
you are correct, as some gun makers make their own proprietary guns and calibers, Lazzeroni is another that come to mind, and as such they don't conform to SAAMI specs. then there are the wildcat calibers, probably not near as many as there were years ago, but maybe a few. and what about the Ackley Improved cartridges? i can't remember whether they are SAAMI approved or not, but several of my load data books list them.