Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   338 Lapua vs 1" steel (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/338-lapua-vs-1-steel-87006/)

Grizzdude 03-20-2013 05:06 PM

338 Lapua vs 1" steel
 
Hey guy's I made a short video with my savage 110ba 338 shooting some 1" steel. Let me know what you think!


purehavoc 03-20-2013 05:25 PM

Had it stayed stationary I believe it would have had a pass thru and much more damage than what you see

Grizzdude 03-20-2013 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purehavoc (Post 1183736)
Had it stayed stationary I believe it would have had a pass thru and much more damage than what you see

I agree with you 100%, one thing i would like to note is when the same steel was shot by a 7.62x54r round it flew about 3 feet. This time with the 338 lapua it flew about 9 feet, so it transferred a ton of energy. Thanks for watching!

Mitch_C 03-20-2013 09:17 PM

Sick rifle. The steel went flying.

I made a set of various shapes out if 1/2" steel on a swinging stand and I shoot it with my .270 and it goes through that up to about 200 m although the different billets make a difference. I usually use the federal ballistic tip 130g but sometimes the soft nose and stuff.

purehavoc 03-20-2013 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizzdude (Post 1183899)
I agree with you 100%, one thing i would like to note is when the same steel was shot by a 7.62x54r round it flew about 3 feet. This time with the 338 lapua it flew about 9 feet, so it transferred a ton of energy. Thanks for watching!

I would have a .338 if I reloaded but factory ammo is scarce in that caliber in my neck of the woods. I have been looking at a similar setup in .300 win mag because they are readily available

Grizzdude 03-21-2013 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purehavoc (Post 1184151)
I would have a .338 if I reloaded but factory ammo is scarce in that caliber in my neck of the woods. I have been looking at a similar setup in .300 win mag because they are readily available

10-4 on that one. When I got this rifle it made reloading this caliber my only feasible option. Reloading I can get cost per round down to $1.50 compared to factory $5 a round.


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:29 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.