Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > 338 lapua in a savage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2011, 04:09 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 338 lapua in a savage

what's everyone think of these?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-05-2011, 04:20 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2554 Times on 1341 Posts
Likes Given: 192

At over $1200 retail I don't see one in my future.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 11-05-2011, 07:42 PM   #3
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1081 Times on 620 Posts
Likes Given: 507

Unless you shoot long range competitions or hunt at long range 500-1200 yards,I see no need in owning one.
It is a great long range caliber,but really serves no purpose as a general purpose hunting rifle.
Even reloading this caliber is expensive,so unless you just have a pocket full of money for ammo,I'd get something a little more practical to shoot.

Old 11-05-2011, 07:44 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1079 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 609

they shoot good and are really loud. i recently got to see one at the range. and see how it fired. fairly impressive

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 11-05-2011, 07:47 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5121 Times on 2667 Posts
Likes Given: 310

it was on my list to consider as a range rifle. but after pricing out the cost of ammo components i decided to opt for a semi auto barret in 416barret in the near future. little more effective same reload costs.

i would go 50bmg but i got no place to shoot one

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-06-2011, 03:15 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfuller1
they shoot good and are really loud. i recently got to see one at the range. and see how it fired. fairly impressive
No offense, but only "fairly impressive"?

The .338 Lapua is an EXTREMELY effective and versatile long gun.

With that said, the .338 isn't your Grandpa's "trusty old' 30-06", and it isn't your run of the mill, out of the box .270 or 7mm Mag!

And if a person shops around a bit, he or she can reload it fairly frugally. I know for a fact that it can be reloaded as cheap as $1.95/round.

The .338 Lapua is also versatile enough that, if reloaded properly, can be either a long range competition gun or a multiple use hunting rifle. I use my .338 to hunt coyotes along with elk, deer, bear, and even wild hogs.

The point is, it is extremely versatile and reliable. With practice, only ONE SHOT is needed for anything, and this gun is more than capable of that. Who cares how much it costs to shoot if you only need one shot???

"Adjust your DOPE Sergeant! No! Not the pills in your pocket, idiot! That stuff that lets you hit your target Sunshine!"

"Sua Sponte"

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his. General George Patton

Old 11-06-2011, 12:05 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlsbadRanger06 View Post
No offense, but only "fairly impressive"?

The .338 Lapua is an EXTREMELY effective and versatile long gun.

With that said, the .338 isn't your Grandpa's "trusty old' 30-06", and it isn't your run of the mill, out of the box .270 or 7mm Mag!

And if a person shops around a bit, he or she can reload it fairly frugally. I know for a fact that it can be reloaded as cheap as $1.95/round.

The .338 Lapua is also versatile enough that, if reloaded properly, can be either a long range competition gun or a multiple use hunting rifle. I use my .338 to hunt coyotes along with elk, deer, bear, and even wild hogs.

The point is, it is extremely versatile and reliable. With practice, only ONE SHOT is needed for anything, and this gun is more than capable of that. Who cares how much it costs to shoot if you only need one shot???
fairly impressive... mainly becuase i did not get to pull the trigger. and i didnt really feel the concussion. sound was like a tank going off but ithink my mosins actually produced more felt concussion. and dont think im using concussion in place of recoil. i mean i can stand next to my mosin and feel the vibration . with the .338 i didnt thats all. i just expected more. if i had the cash to waste i would def have one
of a grieving mother

Old 11-06-2011, 07:53 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfuller1

fairly impressive... mainly becuase i did not get to pull the trigger. and i didnt really feel the concussion. sound was like a tank going off but ithink my mosins actually produced more felt concussion. and dont think im using concussion in place of recoil. i mean i can stand next to my mosin and feel the vibration . with the .338 i didnt thats all. i just expected more. if i had the cash to waste i would def have one
Just curious..... But what is the concussion of your rifle good for? It doesn't actually serve a purpose......

If you want to hear and feel some REALLY monstrous concussion, sit under a sheet metal carport and shoot that Nagant!

"Adjust your DOPE Sergeant! No! Not the pills in your pocket, idiot! That stuff that lets you hit your target Sunshine!"

"Sua Sponte"

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his. General George Patton

Old 11-07-2011, 11:57 PM   #9

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlsbadRanger06

Just curious..... But what is the concussion of your rifle good for? It doesn't actually serve a purpose......

If you want to hear and feel some REALLY monstrous concussion, sit under a sheet metal carport and shoot that Nagant!
Who would even try to compare a mosin to a 338 an yes the 338 can be a kitty kat with some minor work slaps big ol new mex mulies with some serious authority by the way

Old 11-08-2011, 12:32 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlsbadRanger06 View Post

haha. the concussion is good for making me laugh and giggle. its so fun. thats all
of a grieving mother