Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > 336 Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2009, 11:36 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 336 Question

Hi all,

Thought I'd ask you experts if you'd drop $$$ 0n a rifle that I describe.

Spied a Marlin 336 SC in .35 Remington here in the Northeast over the holiday's (originally from here but currently live in Montana) and the ticket price was listed at $499. A lot of cash for a 336 in my view but the gun shop dealer said he'd go $400 + tax = $425 approximately. The rifle is about 90% overall in my estimate, some slight bluing wear (not to the metal) at the bottom of the receiver and some finish wear at the wood forepiece from handling but generally in solid shape. An older Bushnell variable but nothing of particular value. Gold trigger, pistol grip, manufactured in 1960.

This still seems like too much money though I think I could live with $350 out the door. I know they are not rare but boy do used gun prices seem to be climbing!!

Do the Marlin SC (sporting carbines) command high prices and what are the conditions of the older one's you all see at shows/shops?

I've never sold a gun and hang on to all that I've bought so would this be a rifle that I'm glad to have spent the money on five years from now? Not looking for a collector piece, just a great timber gun that I cherish in a few years.

Thanks for any advice.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-30-2009, 02:57 AM   #2

My Marlin 336W 30/30 (new) cost $312.36 four yrs ago, there now 366 bucks.
I saw a new Marlin rifle chambered in .44Mag (not sure of the model) for $700.00 at a gun store this past weekend.

The rifle (Marlin SC) sounds to be in good shape considereing the age of it.
Bargain with the gun store dealer and tell him $350. You never know. Sometimes if you wait long enough the price drops, but also that can work against you if it gets sold.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:54 AM   #3

Liked 45 Times on 27 Posts

The price is too high for a 90% gun. For that kind of money it should be in really good shape (almopst perfect) for me to look at it. For 90% I would pay MAYBE $300-350 for a mechanically sound one with no lock.

The 336 is an outstanding gun but they are still in production and there's a bizillion used ones out there.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:56 AM   #4

Thanks Underfire,

I might try to haggle a bit. Hunting season is over here and I doubt whatever is left on the racks will be moving quickly. I've developed a recent hankering for older Marlins though I'm not sure how that came about.

I guess gun prices are climbing like everything else. I feel like prices wouldn't elevate so much if people simply refused to pay asking price. No demand then prices come down. Oooh well. Still see some reasonable prices in classifieds from time to time but you gotta be on your toes!

Thanks again!