.308 vs 30-06 - Page 6
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > .308 vs 30-06

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2013, 09:34 AM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

The 7mm mag leaves both for dead.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:35 PM   #52

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Im a huge fan of the 7mm ultra. My mulie, an elk rifle is a 7mm ultra, carbon one custom, NF scope, shootin good ol berger vld. Nasty on critters

Old 03-30-2013, 04:25 AM   #53

Liked 227 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Being someone that handloads and shoots both 308 and 30-06 (amongst others) let me chime in here. The 30-06 has the advantage in terms of sheer power and will outperform the 308 by around 100fps up to 180gr where it's larger case increases that advantage. The 308 is the technically superior round that nearly mimics the 06 in a short action burning considerably less powder making for reduced recoil and muzzle blast, it is the more efficient of the two. The 308 is more popular with the long range shooting crowd because there are entire classes of shooting dedicated to the 308, not that the 06 is any way inaccurate, any slight advantage the 308 might enjoy would require a heavy bench rifle to notice, both my 06 and 308 can hold 1/2"-3/4" at 100 with my handloads so for hunting purposes call accuracy a wash. The difference to me is that the 06 can more effectively handle heavy bullets making it the clear winner for larger then deer class game (though a 180gr 308 is still enough for elk) While the 308 is the more logical choice for deer seeing as they will never notice the 100fps difference with the lighter bullets, IMHO both of them are more then enough gun for any deer. My personal preference is the 06, as a handloader I have found it to be less finicky and slightly more versatile but I love them both.

Last edited by Apex-Predator; 03-30-2013 at 04:27 AM.
People Like This 
Old 03-30-2013, 06:01 PM   #54

Oh one more thing to note, while the 308 can technically be handloaded to darn near 30-06 power in my rifle I have run into excessive pressure a couple hundred fps below my max load 30-06. This does not bother me any since 2800fps is still more then enough for deer, and I don't long range hunt with the 308, but well below the 3000fps listed in the Nosler manual, Varget is a tricky thing. My 06 takes compressed loads of RL19 like a champ, not only pushing blistering speeds but grouping REALLY tight at max load with 150gr Accutips, that load shoots as flat as any 270 win I have ever used.
BadBob Likes This 
Old 03-30-2013, 07:08 PM   #55

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Reading Apex-predator above reminds me of my good old days of devoloping my 30-06 and the advantages it offered. Also the initial queston about choosing cal. was related to hunting. Now days my mind is set much more on shtf and my opinions reflect that. If the choice is not related to hunting then I would considier the following.

1. rifles available. with the exception of the M1 I do not know of a 30-06 simi auto that is of military grade and readly avail. in 30-06.
perhaps the browning simi auto 30-06 which I believe is now manufactured by FN, which is magazine fed might be ok but are
there magazines over 5 rds avail ? Don't expect simi auto hunting rifles with mags. to funtion under sustained fire and to hold
their zero when the barrel gets hot.
A poor alternative would be a bolt action with a detachable magazine or a springfield 03 using striper clips. (fastest bolt action ive shot)

military grade Simi auto rifles in 308 -------Many
BadBob Likes This 
Old 03-30-2013, 07:32 PM   #56

Yeah but in today's panic I can still get 30-06 at Wal-Mart 308 is a harder animal to find. Not that I buy factory ammo anymore. I can also find once fired 30-06 brass pretty easy and RL19 is still on the shelf whereas 308 brass is rare as frog fangs and good luck finding Varget or pretty much any 308 suitable powder. SHTF you could make a case for a 308 being a military caliber but I can make just as good a case for the 06 when supplies are very limited, the 06 is just more powder flexible I use everything from fast burning W748 range to the super slow RL22 effectively, and with the exception of a couple handgun powders and H1000 that range covers my whole stockpile.
You look at ammunition very differently once you start making your own.
BadBob Likes This 
Old 03-31-2013, 03:38 AM   #57

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Good point Apex-Predator, If you just want to hunt, But when the hords start coming over the wall, what magazine fed simi auto rifle will you be using in 30-06? Also I started making my own in 1964.

Old 03-31-2013, 04:48 AM   #58

I am a crack shot with my 30-06, I'll pick them off before they ever reach that wall
When SHTF I have a variety of firearms I can use and plenty of ammo/components for each, I saw the writing on the wall after Newtown and stocked up before the panic started.
BadBob Likes This 
Old 04-01-2013, 01:24 AM   #59

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreepingDeath View Post
The 7mm mag leaves both for dead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nateroftheriver View Post
Im a huge fan of the 7mm ultra. My mulie, an elk rifle is a 7mm ultra, carbon one custom, NF scope, shootin good ol berger vld. Nasty on critters
May be, but unless you handload- which many people do not for a variety of reasons- you are at a distinct advanage with versatility:
Lack of a variety of bullet weights, even if you do handload-
Not the most available ammo to locate, like smaller 'Mom & Pop' Shops-
Higher recoil, smaller shooters may not be able to handle it-
Does more damage to meat on midsize to Whitetail size game-

.308 comes in factory loads of 125 gr to 180 gr, & .30-06 from 125~ 220 gr.
Way more versitile rounds, and less cost for both the rifles and ammo.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:37 AM   #60

There is nothing I would hunt with a 7mm Mag that I would not trust a 30-06 to perform just as well on. Only advantage the 7mm has is longer range but seeing as the 06 can have an effective range out to past 500 yards I often question how useful that extra range really is, I have hunted for a long time now and never taken a shot over 450yd, and since moving to the southeast shots longer then 100yds are unusual. What advantage does the 30-06 have over the wild overbore 7mms? How about the ability to use standard cup and core bullets, do you think your 150gr power points are going to hold together at full bore 3400fps Ultra Mag/STW speeds on a close ranged shot? Not a chance. While a 150gr cup and core will do just fine at 30-06 speeds should one walk out at close range. Premium bonded bullets in high intensity magnum cartridges run north of $60 a box while green box 30-06 costs $19.95, if you practice at all the savings with the 06 or other standard caliber is impressive. Recoil on highly overbore cartridges tends to be more snappy and can be painful for a less experienced shooter, I know the recoil calculators say that 30-06 and 7mm RM have about the same but as someone who has used both extensively for years let me say that is nonsence. And last but not least heavily overbore magnums require longer heavier barrels to function properly, first time you hunt with a 26" tube you will suddenly notice how many more branches and vines you snag vs a 20-22" barrel, it is annoying and not very stealthy. Now in the interest of full disclosure I have owned three 7mm Rem mags and currently own a 270 WSM which is burning up the lower atmosphere fast, but truth be told it hardly ever leaves the safe, because I just don't get to hunt at ranges beyond where I am comfortable with one of my standard calibers, which I prefer to use anyway given the extra meat damage an excessively high speed projectile can cause.
Long story short, for a new hunter or someone who is only going to have one rifle AVOID MAGNUMS, If you already have a woods rifle and want something faster for hunting the bean field by all means go ahead. Remember 400yd shots are the exception anywhere in the country, average big game hunting kill in North America is under 100yd. Break down all the math and the 308, 30-06, or 270 make alot of sense for the non-handloader for both CXP2 and CXP3 class game. (deer-elk) Handloaders have a few more logical options but that is another story.
People Like This 

Newest Threads