Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > .308 vs 30-06

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 03:03 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I'm a .308 fan.

I'm not a hunter, but the .308 is a good hog or deer round. For anything larger than deer the 30.06, might be slightly better at a distance, keeping in mind that it leaves a bigger hole.

For self-defense I'd go with the .308. It's plenty accurate, and the rounds are lighter to carry. In a SHTF situation, like .223 or 5.56, I'd imagine .308 may be easier to find.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:40 PM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1431 Times on 785 Posts
Likes Given: 309

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBob View Post
In a SHTF situation, like .223 or 5.56, I'd imagine .308 may be easier to find.
heck the s did NOT htf but a quick buying panic has made even 22lr impossible to find where I live. 308? .223? any of the 7.62's where the first things to go. on the shelves the whole time, and still now, at the same prices: all the 30-06 factory ammo of any grain you want, all day long.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:48 PM   #33

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

30-06 is more available now, and I only have opinions about the future. The last bunch of years 308 has been in large quanties of military ball from several countries. and I believe that as much ammo is for sale now as before, it just sells so fast that you and I don't get much of a chance. I load and buy 7.62 nato because M1a needs it and my M1 needs military 30-06 as well. comercial ammo has a higher gas port pressure and can batter their gas systems. the military ball has always been cheaper than commercial ammo and can be shot in all rifles of that calaber.

buying the ammo only my opinion I would go 308 and pay a scalpers price for about 100 rds then just be patient.

How much ammo do you need? I like "you can never have too much ammo unless you are on fire or drowning" In reality if you do not have the support of several people in a fire fight, statistics would say that why would you be able to shoot more than 20 - 50 well aimed rds before the enemy would hit you with well aimed rounds? I survived several firefights in vietnam, however I was usually in a pltoon or rarely in a squad. a lot of things are happening, mostly someone else is engaged more than you are when you are engaged directly it usually don't last long till things shift and someone else is once again more engaged. this means a lot for your servival . by your self you will not last while you shoot 1,000 rds from your hord. get all the ammo you can but don't feel doomed if you don't have as much as you would like.

he went into younder village and never returned

Old 03-21-2013, 11:59 PM   #34

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

+ 1 Chloeshooter

"Everything that man designs carries with in it the seeds of its own destruction."

-------------

"One thing history shows us is that Man does not learn anything from Our past. And maybe that is the biggest lesson we should learn from history."

Old 03-22-2013, 01:31 PM   #35
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 864 Times on 574 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Quote:
Originally Posted by AARguy View Post
Prepper, not hunter here. If SHTF, 30-06 may get hard to find. 308 is NATO standard (well, slight, almost unnotieable differences from NATO 7.62). The day may come when 30-06 gets hard to find. 308 will be around as long as the current military is around. Go for 308.
This was my feeling, but the M1 Grand was 30-06, so a bunch of that military surplus ammo is still around, but harder to find.

.308 is easier to find in surplus these days, but still harder with the shortages.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:47 PM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2166 Times on 1283 Posts
Likes Given: 1148

.308! I have both, shoot both and hunt both. Plenty of platforms and ammo are and will be available for both calibers, however, more modern hunting and tactical arms are being manufactured today in .308 Win./NATO.

There are large numbers of classic rifles available in both calibers, but the military has chosen .308 for it's modern .30 cal light weapons and usually civilian arms mirror/follow the militaries lead. IMHO

Old 03-22-2013, 07:00 PM   #37

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 59

It's kind of hard to compare the Now with what will be in the Future, but I'll give it a try...

In a prolonged SHTF scenario all the sidearm and common hunting rounds, and the equipment itself, will obviously over time eventually go by the wayside. You will use it up whether fighting or just surviving by hunting for food. Military rounds will eventually run out as well, but the vast quantities of it will prevail over commercial ammo.

When you run out of ammo for your hunting rifle do you suppose you could just pick up a firearm from a dead combatant and hope for the best that it fits your firearm? And when that runs out do you suppose that the next firearm or stash you find will have ammo in it to fit your firearm as well? If you're using military calibers your odds are greater that it will.

Same goes for the firearms, if your break your rifle or burn up your barrel where, and what, do you suppose you'd most likely find another that would match your most numerous existing ammo?

Old 03-22-2013, 07:51 PM   #38

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default .308 vs. .30-06?

I have hunted with both [actually all three: .308 Win, .30 Gov't 1906, and 7.62 NATO] for the best part of 47 years, and there is no appreciable difference, with one exception: As a rule, both cartridges factory loads begin at 125 grain, the .308 Win tops out at 180 gr., and the .30-06 tops out at 220 gr. The .30-06 will do a tad better on larger dangerous game.
Remember that the .308/7.62 NATO was designed to replace the .30 Gov't 1906 round, and do the same thing- ballistically- out to 1,000~1,200 yards.
Both cartridges, if loaded with quality ammo- with a properly constructed projectile, if in a quality rifle, with quality optics, and with an experienced shooter, are fully capable of one shot kills out to 600 yards on whitetail size game.
I have taken 60+ whitetails, and one Elk, never needing to fire a second round, with both cartridges. {Now to open yet another can of worms...} I hunt almost exclusively with the Nosler Partition, and I have only recoverd three bullets.
You wil get many arguments on behalf of each round, andon different bullets, and to an extent everyone has a valid argument, but, in reality, you will not see any difference between equivalent loads unless you handload, at which time you may actually wring out a bit better ballistics from the .30-06.
Remember, also, in this age of "We be out of that ammo..", there is much more .30-06 readily available in factory loads.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:52 PM   #39

Liked 184 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 103

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBob
It's kind of hard to compare the Now with what will be in the Future, but I'll give it a try...

In a prolonged SHTF scenario all the sidearm and common hunting rounds, and the equipment itself, will obviously over time eventually go by the wayside. You will use it up whether fighting or just surviving by hunting for food. Military rounds will eventually run out as well, but the vast quantities of it will prevail over commercial ammo.

When you run out of ammo for your hunting rifle do you suppose you could just pick up a firearm from a dead combatant and hope for the best that it fits your firearm? And when that runs out do you suppose that the next firearm or stash you find will have ammo in it to fit your firearm as well? If you're using military calibers your odds are greater that it will.

Same goes for the firearms, if your break your rifle or burn up your barrel where, and what, do you suppose you'd most likely find another that would match your most numerous existing ammo?
Don't you think that military ammo would be used by the military? I think that finding common military rounds would be reaaaaaal hard to do in a SHTF situation, because 1. They are military rounds and will probably be used and owned by, you guessed it, the military and 2. If everyone has it doesn't that mean everyone wants it? I think that seeing what's happening now is interesting because if we were in a situation where we needed all the ammo we can find, the common rounds would be difficult to get. Just my .02 cents

Marlin Model 60
Mossberg Maverick 88-12 GA
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2
Smith And Wesson M&P 15-22
Mossberg ATR 100 "Night Train"-.308
Chinese T53 Mosin Nagant X2

Old 03-22-2013, 09:54 PM   #40

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

@ longunner +1

"Everything that man designs carries with in it the seeds of its own destruction."

-------------

"One thing history shows us is that Man does not learn anything from Our past. And maybe that is the biggest lesson we should learn from history."