Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > 308 suggestions for long range shooting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2009, 04:51 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Now if you should trip over a bag full of cash!! Here is a long range platform!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 12-07-2009, 05:35 PM   #22

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

id recommend going with 7MM Rem Mag for long distance. I have a 400 yd Tack driver right now thats a 7MM.

Old 12-08-2009, 12:34 AM   #23

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter girl View Post
Please note that a bullet breaks the sound barrier while it is still inside the barrel of the rifle.

I don't think that the same thing happens when you go from super sonic to sub sonic. The pressure wave happens because the object is accelerating faster than the air around it can. So why would there be another pressure wave when something drops below super sonic speeds?
You may find this interesting Shooter Girl.
It may help explain Ballistic coefficient and bullet instability during transonic bullet flight.
Kinda makes my head hurt

from Full Article--->exterior ballistics

At supersonic velocities, the BC of each type of bullet is nearly constant, showing that the G1 drag model is appropriate for these sporting bullets in this velocity range. When bullet velocity falls below about 1600 fps in the transonic velocity range, the BC of each bullet type decreases dramatically. A minimum BC value is reached just above the speed of sound. A dramatic increase in BC value occurs just below the speed of sound. A maximum BC value is reached when the bullet velocity is about 1000 fps, and then the BC value decreases as bullet velocity falls to lower subsonic levels.

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 12-08-2009, 02:57 AM   #24

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

My buddy was looking to do the same as you in stages so this is what I did for him. He bought a Remington SPS 700 Varmint .308 on sale new for about $499. We threw out the stock and bought a new Bell and Carlson Medalist (about $240) and bedded the action to it with Accraglass from Brownels (easy to follow instructions). Add a Nikon Monarch (5.5-16)for about $500 and I did the trigger to about 2 lbs. He now has a GREAT sub MOA rifle that will take him accurately out to 500 yards for about $1300.

After a year the next upgrade was a Jewel trigger ($200) because you can only go so far with the crappy 700 factory X-trigger. When he gets a few more dollars and he learns to shoot longer distances well we will blueprint the action and rebarrel with a premium match barrel. At that point he will have a custom gun that will hit anything as far as he is comfortable shooting and do .25 MOA all day long with match ammo. By the way this is his deer gun too.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:52 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
You may find this interesting Shooter Girl.
It may help explain Ballistic coefficient and bullet instability during transonic bullet flight.
Kinda makes my head hurt

from Full Article--->exterior ballistics

At supersonic velocities, the BC of each type of bullet is nearly constant, showing that the G1 drag model is appropriate for these sporting bullets in this velocity range. When bullet velocity falls below about 1600 fps in the transonic velocity range, the BC of each bullet type decreases dramatically. A minimum BC value is reached just above the speed of sound. A dramatic increase in BC value occurs just below the speed of sound. A maximum BC value is reached when the bullet velocity is about 1000 fps, and then the BC value decreases as bullet velocity falls to lower subsonic levels.
Yeah I agree with that. That is because at supersonic speeds the pressure wave in front of the bullet creates somewhat of a dead space directly in front of the bullet, increasing the BC. That does not happen obviously when the bullet is sub sonic. But I don't think that there is a second pressure wave that causes a wobble when it transitions. One thing though. I don't see why 1600 ft/s would be the transonic range, cause the speed of sound at sea level in ideal weather is about 770 mph, or a little over 1100 ft/s. Maybe it will explain further down in the link. Or maybe they are talking at a higher altitude.

Let me finish reading it. Thank you for posting it.

"It is not the critic who counts, nor the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who knows great enthusiasm, great devotion, and the triumph of achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails at least fails whilst daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those odd and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat. You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who have had to fight for it life has truly a flavour the protected shall never know."