308 suggestions for long range shooting?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > 308 suggestions for long range shooting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2009, 09:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 308 suggestions for long range shooting?

Hey everyone. I've been wanting to get into long range target shooting and maybe competitions for a while, and now finally have the cash to do so. I've decided on a 308 bolt or semi, most likely a bolt though?(Unless someone tells me there is a better fit for what I want. I'm open to new opinions. I don't want to go to big in caliber though because I hunt deer and would prefer not to blow them up---) My price range is around 1000-1500. 1000 preferably, but I also want a gun that will do better than I ever will, and if that means spending a few Hundred on it then thats cool.

What is a good twist for 308?

So far what I've looked at:
-Remington Model 700
-Thompson Center Icon
-Kimber Model 84

(If I go with semi It would Benelli or Browning)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-06-2009, 10:21 PM   #2

Liked 313 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Well alot of the guys where I shoot are using between 155 to 175 grain bullets in their.308 Win. custom loads for long range target. 1 in 10 twist seems to be common for these guys, however, some are using 1 in 11 twist for their .308 Winchester caliber rifles which seem to work fine for them as well.

Bolt rifle is the only way to go for this application. Some guys use semi autos for out 550 yard steel matches. I've seen no one yet use other than a bolt gun for any further than 550 yards.

As far as your budget you stated, your going to find yourself a little more than on the lean side of what it usually costs to get into this long range shooting. the scopes alone cost on average of +/- $2000.00 for these guys that compete. The scope for my current 1000 yard project will cost +/- $3000.00.

The .308 Win./7.62 NATO will fit the F-Class Target Rifle (F-TR). In (F-TR) The rifle is restricted to the chambers of unmodified .308 Win./7.62 NATO or unmodified .223 Remington/5.56 X 45 NATO cartridge cases and is a more common class in NRA matches.

There is also F-Class Open Rifle (F-O) which the rifle is restricted to a bore diameter no larger than .35 caliber. This is a much more spendy class to compete in, especiqlly for a beginner and is not as common event as the (F-TR) class in NRA competition.

I suggest that you contact the local long range shooting club (s) at the range (s) you go to and talk to them. They are usually more than eager to help with info for newbs and most will actually invite you out to watch them shoot and check out their rigs. This IMO is a good place to start if you want to get into this.

Old 12-06-2009, 11:19 PM   #3

Liked 719 Times on 496 Posts
Likes Given: 744

It seems you want a dual roll rifle. Tell us what distance for target, and what type of hunting, ie. still or tracking.

Old 12-06-2009, 11:29 PM   #4

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Sounds like what I did. Bought a Savage Model 10LCP in .308. Cabela's under $700 Nikon Optics $550

People get the government they deserve.

Old 12-06-2009, 11:32 PM   #5

Wow, price!

For the most part, I'm not sure if I would ever compete. Especially with the price of the scope u just listed. or at least not any time soon. But I do need a rifle to hunt with, and I'm not big on having to buy stuff twice. do you thank I could Find a gun in my price rang that If I ever decided to compete. It would be able to do so. Or would I need to dig deep. and if so how much would I have to spend on an 800-1000 ish yard.. gun? Are any of the guns I've looked at capable of this?

(if I won't be able to find a rifle even close to the price rang that will shoot the yards I want what would be my best bet for 500-600 yard gun that way I can get used to shooting ect. and maybe in a few years I could "upgrade". This isn't my first choice though. only if it way out of budget to find a gun in the ranges.) What guns are out there at what prices at what ranges?

-and thanks for your advice and all, I may go and do that.

Old 12-06-2009, 11:40 PM   #6

Mostly I'd be shooting between 10-200 yards (at deer) mostly still hunts from a stand, sometimes deer drives, but I mostly use a shotgun for that. For the fun of it I would like to be able to shoot between 500-1000 yards. I know thats a huge range. I would like to shoot to 1000, But reality is that I probably don't have the cash for that. especially at this time.
so what is my best bet? With the guns I've listed and others at there price range how far could I shoot?

Dunerunner, how far can you accurately shoot your rifle?

Thanks,

Last edited by joedog1991; 12-06-2009 at 11:45 PM.

Old 12-06-2009, 11:54 PM   #7

Liked 313 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog1991 View Post
Wow, price!

For the most part, I'm not sure if I would ever compete. Especially with the price of the scope u just listed. or at least not any time soon. But I do need a rifle to hunt with, and I'm not big on having to buy stuff twice. do you thank I could Find a gun in my price rang that If I ever decided to compete. It would be able to do so. Or would I need to dig deep. and if so how much would I have to spend on an 800-1000 ish yard.. gun? Are any of the guns I've looked at capable of this?

(if I won't be able to find a rifle even close to the price rang that will shoot the yards I want what would be my best bet for 500-600 yard gun that way I can get used to shooting ect. and maybe in a few years I could "upgrade". This isn't my first choice though. only if it way out of budget to find a gun in the ranges.) What guns are out there at what prices at what ranges?

-and thanks for your advice and all, I may go and do that.
Dunerunners option would be a good way to start. You could work your skills out to 500 to 600 yards over time and upgrade the rifle you buy now later. Where I shoot alot of newbs do this exact same thing.

Last edited by mrm14; 12-07-2009 at 12:01 AM.

Old 12-06-2009, 11:58 PM   #8

Liked 719 Times on 496 Posts
Likes Given: 744

1000 yards is a long distance. I would recommend a .300 Win Mag. A .308 can do it, but the bullet drop is huge! 96.4" w/ 200 yard zero at 600 yards w/ 168gr match bullet. Toss in a mild 5mph wind at a 30 degree angle and drift in 9.5".
If you ever look at older Sniper scopes, they were set up in 100 meter increments. This is a 1937 German Ajack. The numbers are hard to see in the pic.

This is a 1986 Hensoldt Z24

They are built for simplicity and accuracy.

Old 12-07-2009, 12:10 AM   #9

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog1991 View Post
Dunerunner, how far can you accurately shoot your rifle?
As far as the damned bullet will fly!! I'm working on hitting paper with it at that range though!!

"The US Army preaches an 800 meter maximum effective range for the .308, the USMC preaches a 1000 yard (915 meter) max effective range." From 308 Winchester for Sniping

People get the government they deserve.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:04 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
As far as the damned bullet will fly!! I'm working on hitting paper with it at that range though!!

"The US Army preaches an 800 meter maximum effective range for the .308, the USMC preaches a 1000 yard (915 meter) max effective range." From 308 Winchester for Sniping
Remember one thing. When the various branches figure up the max effect ranges they are talking the max range at which the properly trained and average shooter can hit the target.

Max effective for the SASR is 1800 meters. But there have been kills made at much longer ranges.

"It is not the critic who counts, nor the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who knows great enthusiasm, great devotion, and the triumph of achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails at least fails whilst daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those odd and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat. You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who have had to fight for it life has truly a flavour the protected shall never know."