.308 range? - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > .308 range?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2008, 06:31 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

It depends how you sight it in if you sight it in dead on a 25 yards you will be 3 inches high at 100 yards and a 250 dead on again.I did the reaserch and own a 308.

BeNeLlI29

Old 04-30-2008, 06:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benelli29 View Post
It depends how you sight it in if you sight it in dead on a 25 yards you will be 3 inches high at 100 yards and a 250 dead on again.I did the reaserch and own a 308.
With YOUR setup. I do beleive it depends on alot of things, including ring height. So many people make everything seam so simple. If it was so easy why are world class snipers so rare?

Old 04-30-2008, 12:50 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2864 Times on 1492 Posts
Likes Given: 254

Very true.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:36 PM   #14

Default .308 range?

I have a Savage Weather Warrior series in .308 Win. In general terms, if you sight in w/say a 150 grain bullet such as a Winchester PP, and put your shots about 2 inches high at 100 yards, you should be right on the money at or about 200 yards and probably 8.5 inches give or take low at 300 yards.

That doesn't necessarily mean yu are set to shoot whitetails at 300 yards. Your particular rifle may or may not shoot min of angle groups out to 300 yards (I.E. 1 inch 100, 2 inches 200 and 3 inches at 300 yards).

You might do better than that or your rifle might struggle to put 3 shots into 5 or even 6 inches at 300 yards. The only way to determine your own rifle's accuracy is to use the charts and ballistic tables as a guideline and then put some time at the bench on the sandbags and find out what your gun likes to eat. My Savage likes Winchester 150 grain power points and that just also happen sto be a find whitetail load for that rifle.

Your might like 150 grain ballistic tips, or 165 grain Hornady interbonds etc. Each rifle is a law unto itself. You should be able to find a load that will work out to 300 yards with the right scope and a good rest. I have found the 180 grain load are not to my rifle's liking, however if I were using it on black bear over bait at a known distance of let's say max 75 yards, that is the load I would use and sacrifice a little accuracy for the extra bullet weight at that distance against a black bear. You simply need to experiment with differnt factory loads if you do not handload or are unable to find someone in your area to load for you. Hope that helps, Dan

Old 05-02-2008, 05:42 PM   #15

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Just finished a book called "Dead Center" by Ed Kugler - a Marine Recon Sniper in Vietnam during the late 60's. He carried a Win. Mod.70 with fixed 4power Unertl scope and made confirmed kills with it out to 1300 yds. During his second year the Marine Corp switched to Remington Mod. 700's and he claims the range and accuracy dropped dramatically. I don't know if the "new" Remingtons were also chambered in 30-06 like his Winchester, but that might explain the difference. The book is a good read and explains how they trained at various distances.
Wanna see what a .50 Cal. McMillan will do at 3000 yds?
http://Making_a_Good_Taliban.WMV

Last edited by RL357Mag; 05-02-2008 at 06:06 PM.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:58 PM   #16

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

^ Ed Kugler's book is commonly referred to as a work of history with embelishment. I read it too, and then did some asking around and I think in knowledgable circles you will find that he has a bit of "generous" memory on his skills and his abilities.

For a good read on real sniping from an expert in the subject I would recommend The Ultimate Sniper by John Plaster. A must have for any long range shooter/police sniper. Sniper and Snipper II by Lonsdale would also be on the recommended list, but not nearly first. If you are looking for real stories from Veitnam outside of Carlos, which has his objectors as well, I would recommend Death From Afar from the Chandler Brothers. Their series has some great, accurate and historically verified stories from field operations.

In Ultimate Sniper, Plaster who is a renowned as a top level sniper/trainer/consultant, routinely dismisses the .308 round past about 650 yards. Will it go further and still produce kills? Sure. Is it the ideal weapon at that range? Not likely.

Ft. Lewis, Washington has several sniper teams in Afghanistan and Iraq currently and they are all taking a stick that is Remington ( .300 Win mag ) or A.I. ( .338 Lapua ) for the tasks at hand. Given the environment they are shooting in ( long, flat, hot ) I would submit that they probably are not fielding the .308 for a reason.

JD

Old 05-03-2008, 01:00 AM   #17

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
^ Ed Kugler's book is commonly referred to as a work of history with embelishment. I read it too, and then did some asking around and I think in knowledgable circles you will find that he has a bit of "generous" memory on his skills and his abilities.

For a good read on real sniping from an expert in the subject I would recommend The Ultimate Sniper by John Plaster. A must have for any long range shooter/police sniper. Sniper and Snipper II by Lonsdale would also be on the recommended list, but not nearly first. If you are looking for real stories from Veitnam outside of Carlos, which has his objectors as well, I would recommend Death From Afar from the Chandler Brothers. Their series has some great, accurate and historically verified stories from field operations.

In Ultimate Sniper, Plaster who is a renowned as a top level sniper/trainer/consultant, routinely dismisses the .308 round past about 650 yards. Will it go further and still produce kills? Sure. Is it the ideal weapon at that range? Not likely.

Ft. Lewis, Washington has several sniper teams in Afghanistan and Iraq currently and they are all taking a stick that is Remington ( .300 Win mag ) or A.I. ( .338 Lapua ) for the tasks at hand. Given the environment they are shooting in ( long, flat, hot ) I would submit that they probably are not fielding the .308 for a reason.

JD

Thank you for the info. I will check the bookstore for all of the titles you mentioned. I have heard much of the .300 Win Mag and .338 Lapua surpassing the .308 in tactical shooting. I bought a DPMS LR-308 bull barreled AR and now I need to find a suitable range to test it's range and accuracy. My son was telling me he had to qualify at 600 yds. at Parris Island last year with a stock M-16. The bullseye, or more accurately, the torso area is only about 24". At 51 yrs. old I don't think I would qualify anymore with open sights so I bought a 6-24X scope. Even at 24x shooting at over 600 yds would be difficult for me, especially with the "shake" factor. I like reading about how these snipers do it.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"