.308 range?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > .308 range?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2007, 06:25 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default .308 range?

Does anyone know the range on a remington 700 model .308? For example, "the remington 700 .308 is accurate up to a distance of ____."

"This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave." ~ Elmer Davis

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-27-2007, 03:17 AM   #2

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckleberry View Post
Does anyone know the range on a remington 700 model .308? For example, "the remington 700 .308 is accurate up to a distance of ____."
There are too many factors to be able to answer a question like that. It depends on the rifle. Some are more accurate than others right out of the box.
When you say accurate, are you talking about shooting targets or hunting?

Old 12-27-2007, 01:16 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Decent ammo should get you in the neighborhood of 1000+ meters if you know what you're doing.

Old 12-27-2007, 01:48 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2857 Times on 1487 Posts
Likes Given: 254

Default .308 range.

1000 yards is not unheard of. The big factor is remaining supersonic. When a bullet passes out of the supersonic range the disturbance throws accuracy all to he!!. You have to find a load that will remain above the speed of sound to that distance. Heavier bullets retain velocity longer that is why they are the choice of long range shooters. 168 grain minimum. 175 grain much better at long range.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:05 PM   #5

yea, i guess i didnt really realize how much science was behind that question. i just got a 700 model .308 and a buddy of mine asked me that, and i didnt know so i asked yall. i'm still learning guys so bare with me. i know how to load and shoot my guns safely and thats about as far as my knowledge goes... but thats why i'm here.

"This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave." ~ Elmer Davis

Old 12-28-2007, 02:13 PM   #6

Default 308 Range

The wild card becomes the optics on the rifle. More range = need more magnification.

Ammo becomes critical beyond 300 yards.

1 MOA DOT covers 6 inches @ 600 yards. Unless a Varmint heavy barrel config, bedded with target crown, trigger work...I would say 300 yards.
With proper set-up and optics could go to 600 yards.

With out a precision build, 1000 yards is beyond expectation of most shooters.

Military snipers with 308 know their rifles accuracy at 600 yards.
Navy shooters with 300 win mag can go 1000 yards easier.
Beyond that precision 50BMG does better.

Old 12-29-2007, 03:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckleberry View Post
Does anyone know the range on a remington 700 model .308?
There are a lot of variables that come into play when shooting long ranges. A rifle that shoots to point of aim at one hundred yards can shoot fifteen inches low at three hundred yards. So the answer Depends on the rifle, the ammunition and the shooter and the conditions.

A box stock Remington 700 BDL will not be as accurate as a 700P. A 700 BDL that has been pillar bedded and tuned by a gunsmith could well be more accurate than a 700P. Ammunition with good external ballistics will have less time in flight which means less time to drop or be affected by wind. Such ammunition typically has poor terminal ballistics.

While not a Remington; my Sako AII Tactical shoots sub minute of angle at one hundred yards (The RSO calls it a boring rifle because it keeps shooting nickel and quarter sized groups all day long). At six hundred yards my groups were about nine inches right to left and five inches top to bottom. This reflects my lack of skill at reading the wind. My 700P shoots similar groups at one hundred yards but I have not had a chance to try it at longer distances.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:37 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

seen them hit at 1000 yards easy

Old 01-04-2008, 03:14 PM   #9

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 115

It's more a matter of being able to see a target at long range than hitting it. If you can't see your target, how do you expect to hit it with ANY bullet/rifle.

I'm constantly seeing posts here and at other forums about how one rifle/caliber has more range or is more accurate than another, but I don't see very much on optics. I'm in my mid fifties and still have 20/20 vision, but even 20 years ago, I couldn't see well enough to find a COM sized target and hit it (unless it was a lucky shot) at more than 150 yards without a scope of some type. Yet, I regularly read of folks hitting a torso size - or even smaller head sized - target with iron sights at 300, 500 or even a 1,000 yards, especially with military rifles. Honestly, how many people can even see a target of that size at those ranges ~ much less hit it ~ without some sort of scope? Even with a scope, VERY few people other than professional shooters, snipers or hunters in open country like the western/midwest US are ever required to make a shot beyond a few hundred yards, and usually at much less. Also, the chances are that if you are talking about combat situations, the target will not only be trying to hide and/or moving, but will quite likely be shooting back!

Personally, I've found that most calibers/bullets/guns in use today will get the job done if you match the caliber/gun with your intended target... and if you plan on shooting at ranges beyond 100 yds, invest in a good scope or two. The scope will make more of a difference in your ability to hit your target (at longer ranges anyway) than anything else.

Last edited by rachilders; 01-04-2008 at 03:28 PM.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:22 PM   #10

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachilders View Post
I'm constantly seeing posts here and at other forums about how one rifle/caliber has more range or is more accurate than another, but I don't see very much on optics. I'm in my mid fifties and still have 20/20 vision, but even 20 years ago, I couldn't see well enough to find a COM sized target and hit it (unless it was a lucky shot) at more than 150 yards without a scope of some type. Yet, I regularly read of folks hitting a torso size - or even smaller head sized - target with iron sights at 300, 500 or even a 1,000 yards, especially with military rifles. Honestly, how many people can even see a target of that size at those ranges ~ much less hit it ~ without some sort of scope?
It's not terribly hard to see a target at 300 yards if it is on a range or across an open field. That same distance through the woods could be impossible. I know that during qualification, I was better at hitting the Crazy Ivan targets at 300 yards than I was at 250. That is with open sights on a God knows how old A2. I'm not what I consider a super shot (I know folks that are a lot better), but I'm probably above average.