Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Which 308 Platform?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2008, 06:05 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Which 308 Platform?

I'm definately going to buy a rifle for long range target shooting (300+ yds), but I want to get the best platform for my money. I also want to add optics and stay within my $1200 budget. Right now, I'm hinging between a Savage 10FP LE 308, Tikka T3 Lite and Remington 700 VTR. Can anyone recommend a rifle and scope for this application?

People get the government they deserve.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-04-2008, 08:36 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Ah crap - here we go again. Get the Band-Aids and Hydrogen Peroxide out, this one is going to get bloody.

You want to shoot at ranges of 300 yards, and you want the most gun for the least money, and you want optics, to come in under $1,200? Do I have that about right?

Okay, here's my post and there will be PLENTY to follow, just wait until tonight... *whistling softly*

One option:

You can get the Savage #10 FCP with a 24” heavy barrel, all steel bottom metal with the Accu-trigger and an H-S Precision stock for $743. That’s a good deal. Lots of good components. It won't win you any competitions off the rack, but it will shoot straight and do you a good job. Add in a glass bedding job ( about $100 ) and then you need a scope. Not leaving you a lot to work with there, but the rifle would shoot well.

Another option:

Weatherby Vanguard Synthetic. $399 and comes with a factory guarantee to shoot 1.5 MOA with premium ammo or Weatherby ammo. Do a trigger job, add some glass bedding and and good optics, I bet you can get below MOA if you do your part for under $1,000.

Personally, I would prefer a heavier barrel, especially in .308, but for the price and guarantee, it's hard to beat.

They ( Weather Vanguard ) also offer their SUB-MOA line, but they are around $900 and would leave you nothing to buy glas with...

Just a couple of options for you.

JD

Old 12-05-2008, 12:41 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I wish we had a bloody chainsaw emoticon... ok here you go JD

Rem 700 SPS Tactical 20" Heavy Bbl
Can come in under 600 bucks easily. If you stay away from bomb proof components (badger - the best there is) but there are more economical solutions for a rec shooter, you can come in under 1200. Just dont skimp on scope, base or rings. Or the scope. Or the scope. Or the scope.

Dont care for the Varmint bbl that Rem has on theirs.

Salvage has come round quite a bit since my younger days, good rifles now. And the more lickies and chewies you get when you make the initial buy, the better off you are. Most stocks are throw away (see Rem SPS), and everything else comes with a price.
The only thing I will say is you will not want to leave it "stock", so figure out which mods you want done and figure out when you want to do them. Caca gets expensive in a hurry, so dont be surprised when that base 500 dollar gun turns into a 2000 dollar system.

Let us know what you get. Rotsa ruck!

Old 12-05-2008, 02:19 AM   #4

You may also want to consider the Howa 308 Varmint rifle in the laminated wood stock. Good action, well made barrel, trigger adjustable and a stock that is not reactive to weather. The version in the Hogue stock is not bad either. A good round will shoot sub-MOA in these rifles. Add good glass and stay in your price point. (Burris 4-14 would be nice)

Old 12-05-2008, 05:45 PM   #5

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Thanks guys!! Well now I have a definate on glass but two more options on a rifle platform. Decisions, Decisions!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 12-05-2008, 07:11 PM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
Thanks guys!! Well now I have a definate on glass but two more options on a rifle platform. Decisions, Decisions!!
Life's a Beach man....

JD