Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > .308 for deer hunting?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 02:45 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 44
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95sniper

Generally 308 is easy to find, but nothing is right now...
No kidding. I went in this morning to three different stores and none had what I needed.
__________________
running_fool is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:00 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: The Free State of Winston, AL
Posts: 2,676
Liked 1650 Times on 981 Posts
Likes Given: 808

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95sniper View Post
Generally 308 is easy to find, but nothing is right now...
Amen to that!!!
But if you do go with the 308 or the 30-06 stick with 165 gr bullets. The 150's are ok for small deer and antelope, but the 165's make for a GREAT 'one load' for all!!
__________________

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!


Last edited by JimRau; 02-07-2013 at 06:18 PM.
JimRau is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:13 PM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 44
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau

Amen to that!!!
But if you do go with the 308 or the 30-06 stick with 165 gr bullets. The 150's are not ok for small deer and antelope, but the 165's make for a GREAT 'one load' for all!!
Very good. Thanks!
__________________
running_fool is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:18 PM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Georgia
Posts: 240
Liked 72 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default

Quote:
The 150's are not ok for small deer and antelope,
Excuse me, but did you really mean to use the word NOT in that sentence?
I've been using 150's for 4 decades and never had a problem. BTW 165's are great also.
__________________
RUG3R44 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:33 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 820
Liked 156 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUG3R44 View Post
Excuse me, but did you really mean to use the word NOT in that sentence?
I've been using 150's for 4 decades and never had a problem. BTW 165's are great also.
I don't think there is that much difference between the two grains to make it that big of a deal. I would be more concerned about which one shot more accurately out of the gun I was using.
__________________
95sniper is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:33 PM   #16
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lake Havasu,Arizona
Posts: 5,802
Liked 1740 Times on 946 Posts
Likes Given: 547

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95sniper View Post
I don't think there is that much difference between the two grains to make it that big of a deal. I would be more concerned about which one shot more accurately out of the gun I was using.
I had a 308 rifle that would not shoot the 165 grain with any degree of accuracy. It just did not like them. Every gun has its likes and dislikes. Mine liked the 150's.
I have not had trouble finding 308 150 grain hunting rounds.
__________________

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

JTJ is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:44 PM   #17
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JonM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rochester WI,Rochester WI
Posts: 17,194
Liked 5316 Times on 2775 Posts
Likes Given: 335

Default

The difference between 308 and 30-06 shows up when you go from 165-168 grain to 180-220 grain bullets. Thats where the 30-06 goes from being the exact same as a 308 to stomping the 308 into the dirt.

180+ in 30-06 is typically used for elk sized critters up to moose grizzly caribou. While 150-168 in a 308 will do it the 30-06 in the heavier weights does it waaaaaaay better. If your talking whitetail mule deer there is no real advantage to a 30-06

__________________

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

JonM is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:08 PM   #18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Temple,Texas
Posts: 146
Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

I totally agree with most all that has been stated.

However, IMHO, for hunting, like JonM just posted about no advantage, 30 caliber is what I prefer to use. It just gives me more bullet wt options of what you used to find on the shelves. I hunt hogs and white tail with three different cartridges, all 30cal. I have an SKS (7.62x39) for brush country-short shots, a browning BLR-80 in 308 which does excellent out to 250yrd and a Savage110 in 30-06 that I've target hit to 500yrd and hog shot at 400 (from resting position of course ) what I guess I am getting at is that either 308 or 30-06 will do fine for the majority of four legged medium (deer) sized game. So with all of this in mind, choose your caliber with the other being a second choice, then find the make and model of rifle that you want. If you can't find the exact match, maybe the rifle will be available in the other caliber, which is still a win. I hope this makes sense.

good luck in what you choose,

__________________
Curlyjoe_99 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:11 PM   #19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 44
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curlyjoe_99
I totally agree with most all that has been stated.

However, IMHO, for hunting, like JonM just posted about no advantage, 30 caliber is what I prefer to use. It just gives me more bullet wt options of what you used to find on the shelves. I hunt hogs and white tail with three different cartridges, all 30cal. I have an SKS (7.62x39) for brush country-short shots, a browning BLR-80 in 308 which does excellent out to 250yrd and a Savage110 in 30-06 that I've target hit to 500yrd and hog shot at 400 (from resting position of course ) what I guess I am getting at is that either 308 or 30-06 will do fine for the majority of four legged medium (deer) sized game. So with all of this in mind, choose your caliber with the other being a second choice, then find the make and model of rifle that you want. If you can't find the exact match, maybe the rifle will be available in the other caliber, which is still a win. I hope this makes sense.

good luck in what you choose,
Thanks I guess I have a lot to think about.
__________________
running_fool is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:19 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: The Free State of Winston, AL
Posts: 2,676
Liked 1650 Times on 981 Posts
Likes Given: 808

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUG3R44 View Post
Excuse me, but did you really mean to use the word NOT in that sentence?
I've been using 150's for 4 decades and never had a problem. BTW 165's are great also.
My bad, a typo. I corrected it.
__________________

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

JimRau is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
.338 for deer hunting wildbyrd Hunting Forum 27 12-19-2012 10:32 PM
Deer Hunting with AK 47 heiztdiz AK & SKS Discussion 31 09-30-2012 12:17 AM
Deer hunting 1911beast Hunting Forum 15 05-03-2012 03:16 PM
going Deer hunting Kaptin Mini-14 Forum 63 11-06-2010 02:34 AM