Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   .308 cal rifle with detachable mag (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/308-cal-rifle-detachable-mag-72432/)

jeremyx28 09-14-2012 09:46 PM

.308 cal rifle with detachable mag
 
Hi all. I'm looking for a starting point. I would like to find a rifle in .308 Cal that I can get a detachable magazine. What I'm looking to do is build a "sniper" looking rifle. Something I can put a skeletonized stock on, muzzle break, scope and maybe have a 10 round or so detachable mag. This is something I'm looking to do over time and fyi, I'm not loaded so trying to keep my costs down. I couldn't and will not buy a 1000 dollar rifle. Like I said, just looking for a starting point rifle. Thanks in advance for your input

jeremyx28 09-14-2012 09:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is what I would like my rifle to look like eventually. I stress "look like"

Attachment 58837

My pic isn't showing up, not sure if you all can see it

Axxe55 09-14-2012 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremyx28 (Post 940962)
Hi all. I'm looking for a starting point. I would like to find a rifle in .308 Cal that I can get a detachable magazine. What I'm looking to do is build a "sniper" looking rifle. Something I can put a skeletonized stock on, muzzle break, scope and maybe have a 10 round or so detachable mag. This is something I'm looking to do over time and fyi, I'm not loaded so trying to keep my costs down. I couldn't and will not buy a 1000 dollar rifle. Like I said, just looking for a starting point rifle. Thanks in advance for your input

well we ain't asking for much are we? what does a "sniper rifle" look like?

with all you are wanting, (308, DM, MB, scope, ect.) i just can't think of anything that meets your criteria, cheaply. closest thing is maybe building an AR in 308 over time, piece by piece is about the best i can come up with. might be some MilSurps that might fit the bill, but none i can think of cheaply in cost.

and BTW, most of us really hate the term "sniper rifle". if you ain't in the military or a LE trained sniper, then it's just a target rifle. "sniper rifle" is one of those terms the anti gunners and the media likes to use to make rifles look bad to the unsuspecting public.

SSGN_Doc 09-14-2012 10:14 PM

If you want a Dragunov looking rifle then a PSL may be what you should look into. It is just an upsized AK. It is available in 7.62x54R which is readily available in bulk quantities at good prices and perfroms similar to a .308. Also, I think I.O. Inc had some that were actually chambered in .308, but the mags were special and not as readily available as standard PSL mags.

A PSL in 7.62x54R can sometimes be found used for about $700-$800 with mags and scope. Ammo can be purchased at around $100 for $440 rounds or sometimes cheaper than that. You won't get .308 ammo at those prices.

Anoteh option would be to get a Saiga in .308 and you could get custom work over time. Once you get it customized it will be over $1000.

Does it have to actually perform or just look like a "sniper rifle"?

locutus 09-14-2012 10:25 PM

Just "bite the bullet" on cost, and get one from Accuracy International.

That's where the Royal Marine Commando snipers get theirs.:)

jeremyx28 09-14-2012 11:03 PM

@axxe I never said I wanted a sniper rifle, I said I wanted to achieve the sniper rifle look, but thanks for the info. As far as an ak or saiga or even an ar, that's not the direction I'm looking to go. I'm really looking into an upgradeable hunting rifle. My biggest thing is detachable mag and an aftermarket stock. I'll keep looking but thank you to those who posted

Axxe55 09-14-2012 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremyx28 (Post 941088)
@axxe I never said I wanted a sniper rifle, I said I wanted to achieve the sniper rifle look, but thanks for the info. As far as an ak or saiga or even an ar, that's not the direction I'm looking to go. I'm really looking into an upgradeable hunting rifle. My biggest thing is detachable mag and an aftermarket stock. I'll keep looking but thank you to those who posted

then check out the Savage Axis, 308, DM, and can get an aftermarket laminated stock. has decent accuracy, AccuTrigger, and well made. another good option, the Marlin XS7 in 308. has an adjustable trigger, very well made, very accurate, and can get an aftermarket laminated scope, but no DM. both are bolt action and are very decently priced.

jeremyx28 09-14-2012 11:53 PM

Looks like the Remington 700 has everything I'm looking for. Lots of stocks, magazine conversion plus everything else I want. Anyone have experience with the rem700?

Axxe55 09-14-2012 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremyx28 (Post 941141)
Looks like the Remington 700 has everything I'm looking for. Lots of stocks, magazine conversion plus everything else I want. Anyone have experience with the rem700?

i have a few! as far as bolt action rifles, with the exception of the Mauser, the M700 has the most aftermarket support in regards to parts and accessories. it's a very good platform to build upon also.

jeremyx28 09-15-2012 12:13 AM

Now I just have to hit the classified and find one. I really don't care about stock condition because its going to get replaced anyway. Hopefully I can find something. Thanks for your help


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:40 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.