308 bolt action? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > 308 bolt action?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2011, 08:28 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfuller1 View Post
Or maybe look into the bushnell 3200 series. i have a 3200 elite 3x9x40 on my win. 308. works great
+1

Right now I'm running a total of 5 Bushnell Elite 3200 5-15 X Tactical Models. 2 are on Savage .308's, and I've got another 2 on .300 Win. Mag. rifles. One is a Savage 110 FCP-K and the other is on a Kimber 8400 Police Tactical. The 5th one I mounted on my Bushmaster BA-50, .50 BMG rifle I liked it so much. I think the Bushnell 3200 series are one of the brightest, clearest scopes out there for the money right now.

I own several Leupolds, and they build a tremendous scope. With that said the other manufacturers are quickly catching up to Leupold in quality, and many are surpassing them in value. There is simply no need to spend $1,000.00 on a scope any longer to achieve quality optics. Here are all 5 of mine. If you are interested Bruno's Shooters Supply has the best price on them. They are a family owned operation, and are very good to deal with.

Bruno Shooters Supply: Bushnell Scopes Elite Tactical 5-15x40 Matte Mill Dot, FMC, Argon, AO, Sunshade

Savage 10-FP In .308

Savage 12-F/TR In .308

Kimber 8400 Police Tactical In .300 Win. Mag.

Savage 110 FCP-K In .300 Win. Mag.

Bushmaster BA-50 In .50 BMG

Old 11-16-2011, 02:35 PM   #22

Liked 57 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 44

I too have a Bushnell 3200 Elite 3x9x40 on a STEVENS 200 in 308. it was the 3rd scope on the new rifle and the first that preformed well. It out preforms mine and the rifles capabilities. If I remember right I paid $135 ish for it.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:23 AM   #23

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenntyrant View Post
I have decided to save a little and spend up to 500 on a scope need some recommendations.
In that price range you can't go wrong with the Bushnell Elite lines, the Nikon Monarch line and the Leupold VX-III line. I have several of all three and they are all outstanding scopes. My recommendation is usually Leupold, because it is made in the USA and their lifetime warranty which I have had to use twice in my life (MY fault not the scope) is absolutely the best. They fixed/replaced my two busted scopes no questions or issues even though I made it VERY clear it was my fault.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:35 AM   #24

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambli

In that price range you can't go wrong with the Bushnell Elite lines, the Nikon Monarch line and the Leupold VX-III line. I have several of all three and they are all outstanding scopes. My recommendation is usually Leupold, because it is made in the USA and their lifetime warranty which I have had to use twice in my life (MY fault not the scope) is absolutely the best. They fixed/replaced my two busted scopes no questions or issues even though I made it VERY clear it was my fault.
Imo the ziess conquest smokes a leupold vx3 hands down dollar for dollar. But this is the famous, ford,dodge,chevy, kinda deal

Old 11-17-2011, 10:58 AM   #25
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21723 Times on 12313 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

IMO, scope technology has come a long way in the past years. use to be you had to spend a lot of money to get a good scope, but these days $250-500 will buy a decent scope. not Zeiss or Swarovski or Schmidt & Bender quality, as those are in a class by themselves. Nikon, Swift, Burris, Weaver, Redfield and others have started making some good scopes at a decent price and there are others out there too. careful shopping around can get you a good scope for a decent price.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:28 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55
IMO, scope technology has come a long way in the past years. use to be you had to spend a lot of money to get a good scope, but these days $250-500 will buy a decent scope. not Zeiss or Swarovski or Schmidt & Bender quality, as those are in a class by themselves. Nikon, Swift, Burris, Weaver, Redfield and others have started making some good scopes at a decent price and there are others out there too. careful shopping around can get you a good scope for a decent price.
You can get the ziess conquest for 399.99 with the mc coatings in a 3x9x40

Old 11-17-2011, 02:58 PM   #27

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
Very true. I've proven this to myself. I was a tried and true Leupold man for decades simply because there weren't any other quality scopes on the market in that price range that had the same quality. Today that is no longer the case. The companies you've mentioned all produce very high quality optics in the price range you've indicated. My Bushnell 3200 Elite Tactical Models are as clear and bright as any Leupolds I own. All of them hold zero just as well.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:46 PM   #28
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21723 Times on 12313 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

another point that needs to be considered, is when you start going to scopes that need to work at higher magnifications, the scope price will reflect that quality. when you start using scopes that work at 18X or plus, you will need to pay to get clear optics that work at those ranges. to make optics that work great at long distances and at the higher magnifications, costs big money to make quality lenses. this where the high end scope makers shine, and you truly get what you pay for.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:04 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55
another point that needs to be considered, is when you start going to scopes that need to work at higher magnifications, the scope price will reflect that quality. when you start using scopes that work at 18X or plus, you will need to pay to get clear optics that work at those ranges. to make optics that work great at long distances and at the higher magnifications, costs big money to make quality lenses. this where the high end scope makers shine, and you truly get what you pay for.
Very correct post no cheap scope that I have ever looked through at higher mag had good clear view, they seem to get cloudy

Old 11-19-2011, 09:35 PM   #30

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I went with a Nikon pro staff BDC 4x12x40. I had it mounted and bore sighted I think I'm gonna like it and it has a lifetime warranty.