Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > 308-300 wsm?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2010, 03:59 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 308-300 wsm?

First of all I have an older Remington 700 .308 semi heavy barrel, crappy fiberglass stock and somewhat worked factory trigger, not a bad rifle but it could be better faster harder. I know some 600-1000 yard shooters and the 300 is what they shoot. So i am pondering possibly converting my 308 into a 300 WSM can this be easily done by my local custom rifel shop?

Do i need a new bolt or can the stock bolt be bored out to accept the bigger case? Do they make a bolt that i can "drop in" made for 300 wsm? Would that be cheaper than having my bolt bored out?

What is the barrel life like with the 300 WSM? 1000 rounds 3000 rounds? maybe more?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-20-2010, 05:06 PM   #2

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You can convert a Remington to .300WSM but I'd feel better getting a bolt with a magnum boltface. PT&G and Brownells sell bolts like what you'll need. Remington bolts don't lend themselves well to radically opening up of the boltface. Naturally another bolt will have to be fitted/lapped instead of simply dropping it in.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 01-20-2010, 06:34 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks Bear.

I figured if i went with the WSM i would just pirate the action body and go with a new bolt, so when my gunsmith or Kreiger Blueprinted and Barrelled my action they could just fit the new bolt at the same time.

What about the stock detachable magizine will it hold and feed the bigger round?

Old 01-20-2010, 08:13 PM   #4

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm almost positive you'll need the wider mag of the WSM/SAUM in order to prevent feeding problems. Your gunsmith should be able to modify your existing magazine easily enough if you can't use the "fatter" magazine.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!