.308 18" vs. 26" - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

.308 18" vs. 26"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2012, 04:06 AM   #11
fmj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 754 Times on 438 Posts
Likes Given: 306

more barrel = better velocity. (more time for pressures to build)

Why would one want to handcuff all the capability of a round by hacking off the barrel. The longer the barrel, the more efficient it'll be. (in other words, why waste powder by hacking off the barrel?)

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 07-01-2012, 04:51 AM   #12
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2880 Times on 1581 Posts
Likes Given: 810

I had a 19" barreled 243 for my wife who is small. I loaded for the short barrel and it would put 5 rounds through 1 hole at 100 yards. When you are 5'2" 19" is not a short barrel.

Old 07-01-2012, 02:18 PM   #13

Liked 27 Times on 19 Posts

Oh and I was not intending on doing this myself. I would have payed a gunsmith to do it. I'm keeping it at 26"

Old 07-01-2012, 06:38 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8019 Times on 4386 Posts
Likes Given: 7763

Longer barrel= greater velocity.

But what are you using it for?? How much velocity do you need?

My 16 inch AR style 308 "rings the gong" every time at 500 yards. But if I wanted an 800-1000 yard sniper, I'd get a 24 or 26 incher.

Or at least they did before political correctness

Old 07-01-2012, 06:48 PM   #15
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22310 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfox556 View Post
Its the Marlin x7 varmint hunter. $327. I consider it a good deal. I appreciate all the comments. After a discussion with a personal friend, I've decided not to chop it and to instead let his master woodworking father build me a sweet stock for it. Once he said "man up p**sy. its not that heavy." my mind was made up. So....who makes some affordable glass for this thing that could take a beating?
i have a Marlin XS7VH in 308. very accurate rifle. as mine is used as a budget target rifle, used strictly for shooting from the bench weight was not a factor for me. as a matter of fact, i added weight and it now weighs about 13.5 lbs. recoil is very light and feels more like a smaller calibered rifle.

check out Boyd's Gunstocks. i have purchased two of their stocks for a couple of rifles, one of which went on another Marlin XS7 7mm-08. very pleased with their stocks and the prices are very good.

scopes, there are so many good one available, and it really epends on what distances you want to shoot at and how much you are willing to spend. my XS7VH has a Swift Premier 8-32x50 on it. paid about $260 + tax for it.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:10 PM   #16

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
more barrel = better velocity. (more time for pressures to build)
Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
Longer barrel= greater velocity.
This is true, the general rule, theory and application, has always been, longer barrel, more muzzle velocity.

But not always, in every case. And certainly not a defining factor when compared to other elements, such as handling and balance, storage, mission/application, etc. Although I always include barrel length -vs- muzzle velocity in the decision making process to one degree or the other.

For example, there is no more difference in muzzle velocity, other than normal chronographed variations, between my Remington M700 26" barrel and my Savage M110 24" barrel, both 308 and both shooting the same ammunition.

Another example is an instructors Remington M700 20" triangle barrel (not really 20", more like 19"), than another instructors Remington M700 police 26" varmint taper barrel.

Typically the general rule is 25 fps muzzle velocity loss with each inch of shorter barrel. But that is a general rule. It could be much higher, it could be much lower. We would all agree, I'm sure, if we took the element of different rifles out of the equation, muzzle velocity loss with a shorter barrel, would be true. However, when comparing different guns (headspace, barrels, etc.) and ammo, it's not a safe bet. And, even when comparing the same gun and barrel, a small loss of barrel length, as say an inch or two, just might not be noticeable by any great degree whether we are making short range or long range shots.

Each barrel, even the heavier varmint taper type as the OP is buying, has a certain amount of harmonic movement. Change the barrel length even a small amount, and that harmonic is changed. It may change for the better, improving accuracy, or it may change for the worse degrading accuracy, or it may not make any apparent difference, but there is a change. This may have something to do with why the accuracy of some rifles have been greatly improved with re-crowning the muzzle, especially if some of the barrel length is removed to also remove damaged muzzle rifling, common with some military surplus rifles.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:15 PM   #17

There is an article on barrel length and velocity loss in the current issue of Handloader magazine. Worth checking out.
cottontop

Old 07-01-2012, 08:24 PM   #18
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22310 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

another option would be to rebarrel the XS7VH with an aftermarket barrel shorter than the current one. with Marlin's barrel design which is very nuch like the Savage design, you could do it very easily at home. a shorter barrel, set of headspace gauges, barrel nut wrench and a barrel vise. several barrel makers have relpacement barrels for the Marlins. i have read and heard that the Savage Barrels will interchange, but have not seen any conclusive proof as to that fact yet.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:33 PM   #19
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3582 Times on 1725 Posts
Likes Given: 1783

Mrfox,

I do not want to be the bearer of discouragement. But from experience, you are in for one trying to handle a 26" Bull Barreled Rifle inside a truck cab and similar tight areas. Sure they are very accurate and do have some ballistic advantages. But doubt if you probably will be averaging shots over 300 yards? Maybe I am incorrect on my assumption? What I am saying if you have it in layaway and you have not picked it up yet I might rethink things for a shorter barrel from the start. For a truck gun a 20" Bull Barrel I would think would be a better choice. I know from experience since I do a lot of coyote, pig and varmint shooting. And let me tell you, a 20 inch bull barrel is about all you want to maneuver around or for that matter carry as you walk around in the field. I have a Rock River 20" AR-15 Varmint "Bull Barrel" Rifle and a 26" Remington 40X Rifle. There is no way I would want to pack around the 40X or try to manipulate it in a truck cab. The 20" inch is not much better but tolerable. Also the 26" Bull Barrel Rifles are very front heavy unless you are using a bi-pod and on a stationary platform of sorts. Only some thoughts to consider. After All you are buying the gun for you! So good luck with your choice. As the guys have stated if you do cut it, crown it and so forth get a professional to do so. But also remember they are not inexpensive when it comes to their work and you get what you pay for.

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy
axxe55 Likes This