300 Win Mag Recoil - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > 300 Win Mag Recoil

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2008, 06:43 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
Dude, that a terrible makeup job.
I don't know the true origins of the photo, but it was originally sent out as the effects of a sniper's round ( .50BMG has been mentioned, but I kind of doubt it ) put in the head.

Don't know if it's fake, or not, but it's definitely a head shot, like you described.

JD

Old 08-03-2008, 12:44 PM   #22

Default Why you need plenty of stopping power

If I were hunting in Africa, I would want plenty of firepower.

Check out this video to see why:

Lucky nobody got shot.

I know, I know - the problem would never have occurred if the hunter had not shot the animal in the first place. But, just in case, I would want a rifle big enough to stop a charge.

Old 08-03-2008, 05:13 PM   #23

First, that sniper photo is legitimate. I've seen it before where it was posted on bonafide military websites.

Second, that idiot hunter is very lucky the lion didn't tear his head off. All of those people are! That was lousy shooting every step of the way. Bothers me, too. As a younger man I, also, did a great deal of sport hunting. Then, one day, my own Christian faith began to catch up with me; and I, suddenly, realized that all sport hunting is wrong and frowned upon in Holy Scripture.

In my old age I won't kill anything that isn't trying to kill me; and, in no case will I harvest an animal unless I'm hungry, and it's on the menu. Like I've just admitted: I've done a lot of killing - Killing that I, now, wish I hadn't involved myself in.

Perhaps some of you might learn from my experience.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:55 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by G21.45 View Post
Hello there! Before you make that final decision there are several other things you should take into consideration:

First, the Winchester 300 magnum is one of the most versatile rifle calibers in existence! Forget about recoil – It’s a non-sequitur. I’d be more interested to know whether or not you reload? .308” diameter bullets are available for the Winchester 300 magnum all the way from a light recoiling (very light recoiling) 100 grain, ‘pill’ up to a smashing 200 grain, ‘large game’ bullet.

I presume you realize that the 300 Winchester magnum is – ideally – a superlative 30 caliber LONG RANGE rifle cartridge? It can be used for game animals like large bears and lions; but, it is NOT a, ‘perfect’ cartridge for animals weighing in excess of 500#’s. In the United States numerous police SWAT and sniper teams field the 300 Winchester magnum. This is, primarily, because of the 300 magnum’s superlative long range flight characteristics. (You’re going to need decent optics!)

The Winchester 300 magnum is considerably better for your purposes than either a 30-06, or a 308 caliber rifle; however, a Winchester 338 magnum – Which is, truly, suitable for all of the large North American bears; and, from what I understand, many larger African plains animals – it ain’t! This is, ‘Why’ I think you should, also, be considering the Winchester 338 magnum.

My final suggestion would be for you not to focus excessively on recoil; it certainly doesn’t have to be a significant issue on the Winchester 300 magnum – especially if you reload. Most rifle practice sessions involve shooting no more than 20 rounds. A healthy young man shouldn’t have a problem with that; and, if you’re making a shot that really counts, then, I’ll bet you don’t even feel the recoil.

(Tuck the rifle’s butt tightly into your shoulder before each shot; and, keep your neck and shoulders relaxed as you let-off. You’ll be fine.)

Oh, yeah, the stock you want is McMillan
I use to own a Ruger 77 338. The 338 Win Mag kicks pretty good. If you're shooting at game you do notice the first shot. I bought it for Black bear hunting because I didn't want to have to go looking through brush for a not so happy bear. I wanted stopping power.I used Nosler 220 grain Partition Bullets .I did shoot a deer with it in the shoulder and it went down where it stood. While it destroyed the shoulder the shock jelled the heart. I know a guy that took a black bear with a 06 .He is trained in sniper shooting. The bear ran down hill as he shot finally dying at the base of the hill. It was a 350 lb (158 k) bear. All six shots were either killing shots or crippling (broken shoulder,spine ect) and the bear went 100 meters from the first shot. The heart was even jelled but it continued. I'm looking at getting a Ruger #1 in 300 win mag now and came here to see if anyone knew how much Magna Braking would reduce the recoil. Their add says up to 45%. I would go with the300 win,in Africa. You can either reload lighter,buy lighter bullets or Magna Port or Brake it. I kind of gave up hunting a few years back. I waste more meat (freezer burn) then I can eat. We do have feral pigs running around so I thought it would be fun trying to get them. Go with the 300. Magna Porting runs $130 plus shipping and Magna braking $229 +shipping. Enjoy

Old 05-28-2013, 09:12 PM   #25
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1255 Times on 712 Posts
Likes Given: 598

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krag View Post
I use to own a Ruger 77 338. The 338 Win Mag kicks pretty good. If you're shooting at game you do notice the first shot. I bought it for Black bear hunting because I didn't want to have to go looking through brush for a not so happy bear. I wanted stopping power.I used Nosler 220 grain Partition Bullets .I did shoot a deer with it in the shoulder and it went down where it stood. While it destroyed the shoulder the shock jelled the heart. I know a guy that took a black bear with a 06 .He is trained in sniper shooting. The bear ran down hill as he shot finally dying at the base of the hill. It was a 350 lb (158 k) bear. All six shots were either killing shots or crippling (broken shoulder,spine ect) and the bear went 100 meters from the first shot. The heart was even jelled but it continued. I'm looking at getting a Ruger #1 in 300 win mag now and came here to see if anyone knew how much Magna Braking would reduce the recoil. Their add says up to 45%. I would go with the300 win,in Africa. You can either reload lighter,buy lighter bullets or Magna Port or Brake it. I kind of gave up hunting a few years back. I waste more meat (freezer burn) then I can eat. We do have feral pigs running around so I thought it would be fun trying to get them. Go with the 300. Magna Porting runs $130 plus shipping and Magna braking $229 +shipping. Enjoy
This thread is almost 5 YEARS OLD.
If the OP hasn't figured out what he/she wants by now,I bet they never will!