Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > 300 win mag range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2011, 11:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default 300 win mag range

WHat range can u take put an elk at with the 300wm

Guns don't kill people, Chuck Norris does. XD

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-04-2011, 11:57 PM   #2

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem870forever
WHat range can u take put an elk at with the 300wm
That depends on alot of things lile bullet type/weight, how far you can comfortably shoot, wind, the gun itself, is it moving and such. Usually 400 yards would be the absolute max though.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:09 AM   #3
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1150 Times on 663 Posts
Likes Given: 552

Marlinman,There are plenty of guy's that have plugged an elk at much farther ranges with a 300WM.
I've shot a cow elk at over 600yds,and personally have seen them taken at over 700 with a 7mm Ultra Mag from my cousin.

Knowing your ability,and your equipment will get you a great distance if used properly.

Granted,the average person that only shoots a few times a year probably needs to stay well under 400 yds on any game,but a good shooter should have no problem taking longer shots.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 12-05-2011, 01:16 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly
Marlinman,There are plenty of guy's that have plugged an elk at much farther ranges with a 300WM.
I've shot a cow elk at over 600yds,and personally have seen them taken at over 700 with a 7mm Ultra Mag from my cousin.

Knowing your ability,and your equipment will get you a great distance if used properly.

Granted,the average person that only shoots a few times a year probably needs to stay well under 400 yds on any game,but a good shooter should have no problem taking longer shots.
I was going buy the fact most people cant accurately shoot that far. Hell iv killed an elk at 600 yards with just a normal 7mm mag with reloads that WERE pretty hot. Ya we tracked it for a long ways but i knew my gun and my capabilities as you said. Most people though also dont know how far 400 yards is really.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:21 AM   #5

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman

That depends on alot of things lile bullet type/weight, how far you can comfortably shoot, wind, the gun itself, is it moving and such. Usually 400 yards would be the absolute max though.
Wellllll with a 300 an a solid choice of bullets like the berger vld, proper quality optics an a lot of trigger time elk at 1000 can an has been done. Now is that ethical as a hunter to risk a shot that far??? I say any shot over 300 to 350 is not needed period. I hunt elk in 4 states every year an have taken alot of elk thats a fact, I have never had to take a shot over 315 yards. Is the 300 win able to cleanly kill at 600 to 1000 on a elk yes it is. Do u need to shoot that far no no no become a hunter nit a bragger period

Old 12-05-2011, 01:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster

Wellllll with a 300 an a solid choice of bullets like the berger vld, proper quality optics an a lot of trigger time elk at 1000 can an has been done. Now is that ethical as a hunter to risk a shot that far??? I say any shot over 300 to 350 is not needed period. I hunt elk in 4 states every year an have taken alot of elk thats a fact, I have never had to take a shot over 315 yards. Is the 300 win able to cleanly kill at 600 to 1000 on a elk yes it is. Do u need to shoot that far no no no become a hunter nit a bragger period
Very true but sometimes them long shots become necessity. Like my 600 yard shot was last morning and he was the bull i had been chasin for two whole days. So i took the shot when he stepped into the open and my guide stopped him.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:30 AM   #7

Quote:

Very true but sometimes them long shots become necessity. Like my 600 yard shot was last morning and he was the bull i had been chasin for two whole days. So i took the shot when he stepped into the open and my guide stopped him.
I have never used a guide before maby that was the reason u had to take that shot pal. Elk are not hard to hunt I learned real quick after eatin tags for the first couple yrs but, with proper placement an callin the love struck bulls are well within the 300 yd range. But to make that long shot on a true book bull well just in case I agree to prepare for it u never know

Old 12-05-2011, 01:33 AM   #8

Quote:

I have never used a guide before maby that was the reason u had to take that shot pal. Elk are not hard to hunt I learned real quick after eatin tags for the first couple yrs but, with proper placement an callin the love struck bulls are well within the 300 yd range. But to make that long shot on a true book bull well just in case I agree to prepare for it u never know
I used a guide that time because i won the hunt. It wasnt because of the guide but he was on the other side of the gorge from me. I usually use those guys now in wyoming but thats cuz im "family" to them now. Anywhere else and guides be damned i like you prefer to be prepared though so i shoot that far to be able to. He wasnt a "book" bull but he was good. Odd looking at that but nice.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:43 AM   #9

Quote:

I used a guide that time because i won the hunt. It wasnt because of the guide but he was on the other side of the gorge from me. I usually use those guys now in wyoming but thats cuz im "family" to them now. Anywhere else and guides be damned i like you prefer to be prepared though so i shoot that far to be able to. He wasnt a "book" bull but he was good. Odd looking at that but nice.
Its good for first time elk hunters to use a guide an pay attention to their every move that way u deveolpe the skills needed for future hunts. That is if u can afford a damn guide. For me its all about the adventure of back country hunts in dark timber an quakies chasin them big boys GOD I LOVE HUNTIN ELK

Old 12-05-2011, 01:54 AM   #10

Quote:

Its good for first time elk hunters to use a guide an pay attention to their every move that way u deveolpe the skills needed for future hunts. That is if u can afford a damn guide. For me its all about the adventure of back country hunts in dark timber an quakies chasin them big boys GOD I LOVE HUNTIN ELK
It wasnt my first elk hunt but i have to agree on the rest of that whole heartedly. Especially love hunting em. I like eating em better though cleaning sux bc it takes so long but o is it worth it. My next challenge is to kill one with either my bow or my raging bull 454 cassul