300 Win Mag ? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > 300 Win Mag ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2009, 01:31 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
jps37033,

If you ever think you may in the slighest bit have the chance to ever go west or north for larger game like elk, moose or mule deer, I say hold onto the rifle. There are several rifles that you can get in a more appropriate caliber for your usage for less than $500. Most notably is the Marlin XL7 that is now available in several calibers for your yardage and small deer. JMHO.
that's good advice. you may not need it now but if you ever get that chance to do some long range shooting or go out of state for bigger farther away game you'll be glad you kept it.

better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

(and from your signature i see that you still have your .243 and a 20 gauge so you're still good to go for your area)

Old 12-10-2009, 08:17 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

At 50 yards or less you should just get a slug gun. Or a 30-30 or a .44 mag. lever action. A .300 win mag really isn't much of anything as for recoil, but recoil effects everyone differently so it may be big to you. I shoot a lot of big more rifles so my opinion is biased when it comes to recoil. The bullets will expand, that is a certainty, but they will most likely fragment when hitting something at that velocity. Even a well constructed bullet will break into pieces when making contact with bone and muscle at that speed. For your hunting needs, trade it.