300 Win Mag ?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > 300 Win Mag ?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2009, 01:57 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 77
Default 300 Win Mag ?

I just traded for a Remington 300 Winchester Mag rifle. Never had this large a caliber. Is it overkill for deer in the south? My longest shot would be 50 yards at the MAX. But I do feel there is a bit of humane in killing a deer and do it as efficiently as possible.....

I am also kinda scared to shoot it as I went on youtube and the first video was of a dude with his forehead split open from the scope....

Is the recoil actually that bad??? The scope it came with has about 7" eye relief for me. Is that enough?

I am sure, but I dont need to worry about not taking down a deer right?

I was using a .243.

I am thinking of trading it for a smaller caliber (30-30, .270, etc)

Thanks

__________________

Mossberg 835 3.5 inch, 24inch ported, Knoxx Stock
Ruger SR9c
XD 9mm 5"
Marlin 30-30
Marlin Model 60 .22
Bergo .22 revolver - handed down from Great Grandpa
Chinese SKS Matching Numbers with all extras

jps37033 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 12-01-2009, 02:21 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 77
Default

I would definatly trade it, for 50 yd shots, it is almost useless. I'm guessing where you hunt has a lot of trees and bush right? So I would go to sumthing like a 257 Roberts, and 7" eye relief is waaaaay more than enough to shoot it without worrying.

__________________
270 win is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 02:26 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Posts: 24,301
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default

Jesus Bro!

At 50 yards the .300 Win mag is going to hit like a runaway truck. Probably go in the size of a dime and exit the size of a half dollar, AT LEAST!!

Not to mention the round isn't going to be stable at 50 yards, so anything is possible.

I would say yes, that is overkill if you are shooting deer outside of a nuclear plant spill or recent meteroid impact location.

Now, as to the round itself. That is a great, long range, flat shooting round that MANY long range tactical platforms are built on. It's a punishing 1,000 yard cartridge. Without a good stock, a good recoil pad, and I would recommend a real good 23 degree muzzle break, the round can be very punishing in a low weight, stock stick.

However, you will definitely NOT lack the ability to punch the life out of just about anything in the Northern Hemisphere.

As for numbers??

You are talking a 190gr round, leaving the barrel at, what, something like 3500 ft lbs of energy?? That is some SERIOUS trauma brother. SERIOUS!!

A .308 at 180gr leaves the barrel at around, what, 2650, 2700 ft lbs of energy?!?!?

That is a heavier round, traveling faster, with more ballistic ability to do some serious damage....

You want to know if it's overkill for deer in the south? I have to say yes, personally, but I am no hunter by any stretch...

JD

__________________
Dillinger is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 02:28 AM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 77
Default

At 50 yds, the bullet is going so fast that it probably wouldn't have time to expand.

__________________
270 win is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 02:31 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Posts: 24,301
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270 win View Post
At 50 yds, the bullet is going so fast that it probably wouldn't have time to expand.
You are assuming he hasn't hit anything solid. Hit a rib, or worse, a couple of bones, on the way thru, with a Nosler Ballistic Tip and you can expect some serious damage.

On a thru and thru, I would agree with you, but not very common in these parts. There is always collateral damage to the skeletal structure....

JD
__________________
Dillinger is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 03:30 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 77
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Jesus Bro!

At 50 yards the .300 Win mag is going to hit like a runaway truck. Probably go in the size of a dime and exit the size of a half dollar, AT LEAST!!

Not to mention the round isn't going to be stable at 50 yards, so anything is possible.

I would say yes, that is overkill if you are shooting deer outside of a nuclear plant spill or recent meteroid impact location.

Now, as to the round itself. That is a great, long range, flat shooting round that MANY long range tactical platforms are built on. It's a punishing 1,000 yard cartridge. Without a good stock, a good recoil pad, and I would recommend a real good 23 degree muzzle break, the round can be very punishing in a low weight, stock stick.

However, you will definitely NOT lack the ability to punch the life out of just about anything in the Northern Hemisphere.

As for numbers??

You are talking a 190gr round, leaving the barrel at, what, something like 3500 ft lbs of energy?? That is some SERIOUS trauma brother. SERIOUS!!

A .308 at 180gr leaves the barrel at around, what, 2650, 2700 ft lbs of energy?!?!?

That is a heavier round, traveling faster, with more ballistic ability to do some serious damage....

You want to know if it's overkill for deer in the south? I have to say yes, personally, but I am no hunter by any stretch...

JD
Thanks. I really appreciate the honest (and absolutely Hilarious(im on a little jack and coke) response)!

But, I now have no worry that I might make the deer suffer too long like a abdominal shot with a .223 or something.

But, I still would like to get rid of it. I just got a great deal on it. I basically traded a $225 handgun for it. Its a remington 710 300 win mag with aftermarket scope and extras...... I want a smaller caliber (30-30)
__________________

Mossberg 835 3.5 inch, 24inch ported, Knoxx Stock
Ruger SR9c
XD 9mm 5"
Marlin 30-30
Marlin Model 60 .22
Bergo .22 revolver - handed down from Great Grandpa
Chinese SKS Matching Numbers with all extras

jps37033 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 03:39 AM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Wambli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 947
Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Default

At 50 yards I would be very concerned with bullet overexpansion/failure and ruining a LOT of meat if you use the 150gr bullets that are more suitable for deer. The 180gr. are tougher construction but way overkill for your game. For Southern deer at those distances a .243 to 7mm-08 class caliber will save your shoulder a bit of punishments and do the job better.

That being said recoil is a very subjective thing. I have a Remington Custom Shop 700 AWR that weighs in at 7.5 lb scoped in .300 Win Mag and it's one of my favorite riifles when I need to touch someting a little farther away than normal. BUT it's not a rifle for the recoil shy. A Leupold VX-III 4.5-14 is a good scope for that gun because of the generous eye relief and offers enough magnification to take advantage of the longer range caliber potential.

__________________
Wambli is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 11:21 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
spittinfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Maiden,NC
Posts: 9,663
Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jps37033 View Post
Thanks. I really appreciate the honest (and absolutely Hilarious(im on a little jack and coke) response)!

But, I now have no worry that I might make the deer suffer too long like a abdominal shot with a .223 or something.

But, I still would like to get rid of it. I just got a great deal on it. I basically traded a $225 handgun for it. Its a remington 710 300 win mag with aftermarket scope and extras...... I want a smaller caliber (30-30)
I agree with JD, it's way overkill for deer in the south. I personally use a 30-06 with 150gr bullets for deer in NC and I have yet to have one get up.
Having said that, I'll give you $250 for it.
__________________

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

spittinfire is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:17 PM   #9
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Txhillbilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,505
Liked 1170 Times on 676 Posts
Likes Given: 567

Default

The 300 Winchester Magnum is a great caliber,I own a couple rifles in it. If you reload you can tame the recoil way down,or load up with some outrageous monster loads. It does have a decent amount of recoil in a lighter rifle,but nothing that will scare you-if you are not a beginning shooter.

It is not a round meant for short range shooting though,it was meant to reach out and touch it's targets. If you don't plan on shooting atleast 100yrds + you would be better off with a different caliber.

I enjoy shooting the 300WM,and usually fire off 100-200 rds a day out of mine,when I go to the range.

__________________
Txhillbilly is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:48 PM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
skullcrusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ohio,Ohio
Posts: 10,949
Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Default

jps37033,

If you ever think you may in the slighest bit have the chance to ever go west or north for larger game like elk, moose or mule deer, I say hold onto the rifle. There are several rifles that you can get in a more appropriate caliber for your usage for less than $500. Most notably is the Marlin XL7 that is now available in several calibers for your yardage and small deer. JMHO.

__________________

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!


Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!
skullcrusher is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes