300 weatherby elk rifle

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > 300 weatherby elk rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2009, 09:20 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 300 weatherby elk rifle

My friend a small, thin guy asks about putting on a limb saver recoil pad. What should I advise him?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-27-2009, 01:35 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2731 Times on 1430 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Linbsaver, Pachmeyer Decellerator. Both are good.

Tell him to eat. Mass is important in controlling recoil.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 03-28-2009, 06:49 AM   #3

Seriously -- fit is the crucial part of managing recoil in the larger caliber rifles. Any of the large recoil pads are good options.

There are some ballistic calculators which can quantify recoil for you -- Pays to know what you're getting into. 30-06 runs about 20 ft. lbs. 45/70 is around 45 ft. lbs. 458 Win. Mag. runs 60 ft. lbs. 416 Rigby -- topped off -- is about 100 ft. lbs.

Just to put things in perspective.

Recoil Calculator at HuntAmerica.com

Old 04-19-2009, 02:53 PM   #4

In this day and age, there is NO reason for someone to be pounded by a hard and sharp recoiling rifle. The idea of adding a Pachmayr Decel, or a Limbsaver type pad is excellent advice. We use the Pachmayr Decel Pad as a standard item on all of our rifles.

Another piece of recoil management technology that we use as a standard item on any rifle that will pound the shooter is the incorporation of a "Recoil Reducer". I put the name in parenthesis because what they really do is slow down the recoil or kinetic energy so that the shooter feels a push instead of a punch from the rifle during the firing cycle.

On all of the magnum calibers we also add a muzzle brake and a thread cap. We just shipped a 6.5 lb hunting rifle chambered in 338 Remington Ultra Magnum that has all three forms of recoil management listed above, and the rifle hits your shoulder and face like a 243 Winchester when shot with hot handloads using a 250 grain projectile.

My experiences have taught me that it is difficult (if not impossible) to shoot accurately when being punished by a rifle.

Mike McIntyre
VP Operations
MPI Rifles, LLC
www.mpirifles.com

Old 04-19-2009, 05:13 PM   #5

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Go with a pad and recoil reducer like a murcery filled one in side the stock of the rifle.

Muzzle breaks are for sissies and morons. Shot next to me with one and I will cuss you out. I can't stand them at all.

He might also look at a different rifle one with recoil he can manage. Like a 30-06 or 284 win.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:50 AM   #6
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 574

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Go with a pad and recoil reducer like a murcery filled one in side the stock of the rifle.

Muzzle breaks are for sissies and morons. Shot next to me with one and I will cuss you out. I can't stand them at all.

He might also look at a different rifle one with recoil he can manage. Like a 30-06 or 284 win.
Hey Tango,I guess I'm a BIG sissy & a MORON cause I have a brake on two of my rifles. Why don't you come set next to me while I fire 40-50 rds out of each one,and cuss me out. That would make my day.

I think muzzle brakes are a good thing on light weight rifles that have a moderate/heavy recoil. Both of the rifles that I fitted with brakes fit me just fine and I chose the brake over changing the fit after adding a Limbsaver style recoil pad to the buttstock.

Yes,They make a gun loud as hell for anyone to the side or forward of the muzzle,and I always try not to shoot them when anybody is next to me at a range,but if someone started cussing me out about having them,they would probably wind up on their ass and bleeding!

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Last edited by Txhillbilly; 04-20-2009 at 09:25 PM.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post

When I first read this I didn't quite know how to respond. I broke my cherry killing our little yellow brothers in Vietnam and Southeast Asia as a sniper with L.R.R.P. teams operating in the Central Highlands, and I don't recall anyone ever referring to me as a sissy. I have been called a moron and other **** similar, but who hasn't.

I started this company almost 8 years ago building sniper rifles for other operators, and that has been the flagship of our company due to the fact that I did the damn job, and know how a sniper rifle must be designed & built (as lightweight as possible - some poor ******* has to hump the damn thing in the bush for God's sake!), and accurate (with the issue ammunition!). By chopping as much weight off of the rifles design as I can, I am making the rifle more man portable, but most definitely increasing the felt recoil. The same is true of the hunting rifle designs we are offering. As lightweight as I can make them, and hell for stout, but again increased felt recoil. As a rifle designer and builder, those are issues you address, or you are building nothing but "Safe Queens" because no one will shoot them much because of the recoil.

Tango I don't know how much experience you have shooting precision made, and accurate shooting medium and big bore magnums, but you will never be able to shoot one of our Spartan MK100 338 Lapua Magnum, or our Overlord 375 CheyTac rifles to the accuracy potential of the rifle without at least a muzzle brake to keep you from looking like you were sucker punched in the cheek because they hit, and they hit hard and fast. The first thing that happens is the shooter lifts his face off of the stock to protect it from the abuse, and accuracy suffers because if it.

Mike McIntyre
VP Operations
MPI Rifles, LLC
www.mpirifles.com

Old 04-20-2009, 08:11 PM   #8

Let me rephrase that last comment.

I think if you have to have a muzzle break on a rifle I think you need to step down to something with less recoil. There are exceptions to this like the 50bmg I will shoot anything But I ain't shooting one of them with out a break.

I apologize for the rash tone I took earlier.

I still cuss people who sit down next to me and start shooting their 900 super ultra loudenboomer with their muzzle break and start blowing my papers off my bench.

You sir state that you don't shoot them next to people and I respect that.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGant View Post
Hey Tango,
I'm 6-3, and 235#,and graduate Electrical Engineer, PE. I'm also a former Captain in The USMC with 2 tours in Nam. I really believe I'm far from a sissy and / or a moron.
You should you watch your tongue, some little high school girl is goin' shove it up your bu&& one day.
Look why not watch your tongue when you have no freeking clue what the hell your talking about.

Don't really care how big you are.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:10 AM   #10

Bolo send me one of them rifles and I will have my buddy video me shooting it. Then I will send it all right back to ya.