.300 Savage Load Data
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > .300 Savage Load Data

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2012, 08:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default .300 Savage Load Data

The pressure limits for this cartridge is help low due to the probability of it being fired in a lever action.

I own a bolt action and looking for some better performance out of this cartridge. (Don't tell me to go to a 308 Win).

Anyone?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-07-2012, 10:00 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 25 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 51

My grandfather always purchased and used 180 gr. bullets. When his Savage 99 became my father's, he used 180 gr. because my grandfather did. Check your reloading manuals. I switched to 150 gr. bullets. They do a awesome job on deer and with a nice increase in velocity (without a huge pressure jump) shoot flatter. Serria bullets are accurate, expand well, and I believe work better at 300 Savage velocities than bullets with a heavier jacket.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:23 AM   #3

Ammo for the Savage 99 action can be loaded quite hot. It is a very strong action. Don't go over maximum loads, but the .300 savage approaches .308 ballistics in the Model 99.
cottontop

Old 01-08-2012, 04:49 AM   #4

Let me be a little more specific. I have Manuals from Hornady, Nosler, Vihtavuori, and Speer, as well as P.O. Ackley's Handbook for Shooters and Reloaders I & II. I understand from all of them that the pressures are keep lower on the cartridge because of the lever action rifles that it has the possibility to be shot from..

That isn't going to happen here. I have a recently made ER Shaw Mark VII in a .300 Savage. this is a bolt action rifle, and therefore, not subject to the potential case stretching that would happen with a lever action. I only intend to use 150 gr and 165 gr at the high end of the weight spectrum because of limited case capacity to begin with.

That being said.. anyone have load data?

Scott

Old 01-08-2012, 04:50 AM   #5

not using a lever 99 for this.. strictly bolt action that isn't subject to the case stretch..

Old 01-08-2012, 11:39 AM   #6

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop View Post
Ammo for the Savage 99 action can be loaded quite hot. It is a very strong action. Don't go over maximum loads, but the .300 savage approaches .308 ballistics in the Model 99.
cottontop
Not all firearms are created equal, and such is the case of the '99. A lot of the older guns do have headspace issues and have to fire fairly mild to midrange rounds. In fact, I have a couple buddies that neck size only and use mild loads because of head space issues. The game they have taken don't know the difference. I do not own a chronograph, therefore speed is not a concern for me. Accuracy is.

Of all the firearms I own, I only load my .243 near top end, and still under max published loads. I have found that loads in midrange/upper midrange are far more accurate in my guns and they don't beat the heck out of the gun or me. Not to mention with the cost of reloading supplies going up, I can "stretch" my dollar a bit more.

I will usually start my loads at 5 to 10% above minimum published loads and increase charges by .2 grain(s) until I find the load that groups well and I stop. I shoot a lot of reformed military brass. Thicker casings equal higher pressures. This is my procedure with all my guns/calibers.

For my '99EG loads, I use IMR4895, Remington 9 1/2 primers and either 150 grain Speer Spire Points or Hornady Accubonds. Both with flat bases. Depending on the brass, I run 40 to 41 grains of powder. IMR4895, in my opinion is almost the perfect powder for the .300 Savage. With the mentioned charge(s), my cases are nearly full, and I have almost zero chance of over charging without a mess on my bench. This powder is used in many of the calibers I load with very good results.

My "go to" manual: Lyman's 47th edition, and I don't pay a lot of attention to the submitted loads of which there are thousands and thousands on the internet.

You've heard this before and for good reason. Start low and work up.

Good luck, be safe and have fun!

"Be A Good Listener. Your Ears Will Never Get You In Trouble"

Old 01-10-2012, 08:10 PM   #7

Liked 119 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default .300 savage sightings

.300 Savage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

300 Savage

Ive seen the .300 savage chamberd in the Italian Carcano Bolt Action rifle
The Remington Model 81 Selfloading Rifle.
In 1940, .300 Savage was added to the lineup to make the 81 more competitive and give it "close to .30-06" performance. Named the Woodsmaster (a moniker that would also be given to Remington's follow-on Model 740 and 740A autoloaders