Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > .300 H & H -- yes or no?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2013, 06:18 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1104 Times on 577 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default .300 H & H -- yes or no?

At my local gun store there is a Remington 700 Classic in .300 Holland and Holland that I've had my eye on for a while. I think they want a little too much for it, but still, everytime I go in there, I check to make sure it hasn't been sold.

I've never owned, or even fired a .300 H&H. And, yes I know it's an outdated cartridge, expensive and hard to find ammo far, and it's performance has been exceeded by now much more common calibers like the .300 Winchester Magnum.

But I'm sorta drawn to the old classics, and at one time the .300 H&H was a major player, and I still sort of think of it as a rifleman's caliber (not that I consider myself a rifleman).

Currently the most high-powered rifle I own is a 30-06, which, if I were honest, is enough gun for anything I'm likely to need to shoot. But I've been thinking about getting something with a little more ooomph just to have it. The .300 H&H looks to be an intermediate step between the ought-six and the .300 Winchester Magnum.

Anyone with strong postive or negative feelings about this vintage caliber?

Oh, and they want about $800 for the Remington 700. Decent price?

Last edited by txpossum; 05-27-2013 at 06:29 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-27-2013, 06:22 PM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 17027 Times on 9843 Posts
Likes Given: 44257

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum View Post
At my local gun store there is a Remingon 700 Classic in .300 Holland and Holland that I've had my eye on for a while. I think they want a littel to much for it, but still, everytime I go in there, I check to make sure it hasn't been sold.

I've never owned, or even fired a .300 H&H. And, yes I know it's an outdated cartridge, expensive and hard to find ammo far, and it's performance has been exceeded by now much more common calibers like the .300 Winchester Magnum.

But I'm sorta draw to the old classics, and at one time the .300 H&H was a major player, and I still sort of think of it as a rifleman's caliber.

Currently the most high-powered rifle I own is a 30-06, which, if I were honest, is enough gun for anything I'm likely to need to shoot. But I've been thinking about getting something with a little more ooomph just to have it. The .300 H&H looks to be an intermediate step between the ought-six and the .300 Winchester Magnum.

personally, i don't think we have to have a need so much as want for something! i think you ought to go ahead and get it IMO. you know you want it.

if it's in really good shape, $800 is probably reasonable. does it have a scope?
Old 05-27-2013, 06:29 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1104 Times on 577 Posts
Likes Given: 49

No scope. Doesn't look like it's ever had one.

Old 05-28-2013, 01:03 AM   #4

Liked 320 Times on 185 Posts
Likes Given: 354

Buy it,but a 300 H&H with a scope mounted probably will give one a nasty gash,over ones eye brow..

Old 05-28-2013, 01:23 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4723 Times on 2696 Posts
Likes Given: 3752

With hand loads, it will equal or exceed the .300 WinMag.

Cases are easily made by necking down .375 H&H which are readily available.

They are easily rechambered to .300 Weatherby, if you so desire, but I'd leave it stock. A great old classic cartridge.

nitestalker Likes This 
Old 05-28-2013, 01:42 AM   #6
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1259 Times on 711 Posts
Likes Given: 443

Get a .375 instead.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
If things get better with age, I am approaching magnificent.
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

HankStone Likes This 
Old 05-28-2013, 01:46 AM   #7

Liked 405 Times on 247 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum
At my local gun store there is a Remington 700 Classic in .300 Holland and Holland that I've had my eye on for a while. I think they want a little too much for it, but still, everytime I go in there, I check to make sure it hasn't been sold.

But I'm sorta drawn to the old classics, and at one time the .300 H&H was a major player, and I still sort of think of it as a rifleman's caliber (not that I consider myself a rifleman).

I feel ya on wanting something with a little more oomph just because. I've been wanting a .375 H&H just for sh!ts and giggles for awhile now. Just for the power and knowing nothing can really stop it. I'd get it!

Old 05-28-2013, 04:35 AM   #8

Liked 847 Times on 602 Posts
Likes Given: 834

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
With hand loads, it will equal or exceed the .300 WinMag.

Cases are easily made by necking down .375 H&H which are readily available.

They are easily rechambered to .300 Weatherby, if you so desire, but I'd leave it stock. A great old classic cartridge.
They are all built on the belted H&H magnum case, just a different bullet.............

When all else fails.

locutus Likes This 
Old 05-28-2013, 05:20 AM   #9

Liked 93 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 57

This thread should have been titled "Look what I brought home!".....with pics of course. It is an efficient cartridge that should still be offered by manufacturers IMO. I think Ruger is the only one still offering it in their No.1. Damd belted magnums killed it off, I think. Been looking for one myself. Buy it!

Old 05-28-2013, 02:16 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4723 Times on 2696 Posts
Likes Given: 3752

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotMormon View Post
This thread should have been titled "Look what I brought home!".....with pics of course. It is an efficient cartridge that should still be offered by manufacturers IMO. I think Ruger is the only one still offering it in their No.1. Damd belted magnums killed it off, I think. Been looking for one myself. Buy it!

Uhhhhh...... The .300 H&H IS a belted magnum.