Which .300? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Which .300?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2010, 01:16 AM   #11
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 574

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
I don't know a single hunter that still owns a .300 mag, not 1. .
Well J.P.,I guess I'll have to also say Hi. I still have one 300WM,and just sold off my Ruger #1 not long ago.

I love shooting the 300WM,but it will show it's strong side in a lite weight rifle if you are recoil sensitive.

I will agree with J.P. that you don't need a 300WM to hunt elk,and for most people taking 400+ yard shots is out of the question unless you know a little about shooting at longer ranges,and know your equipment.

Old 07-25-2010, 02:57 AM   #12

Liked 311 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I say 300 Winchester Magnum and be done with it. Ammo can be had for about $22.00 a box of 20. Winchester Super X Power Point or Federal equilivant.
Can run 220 and 240 grain weight bullets. Can deliver quite an amount of ft. lbs. impact energy. Relatively flat trajectory and good for those "longer" shots if needed. And if recoil is an issue, I believe Remington makes a "recoil managed" line of ammo for magnum calibers or you can have a muzzle brake installed.

Anyhow, thats my 2 cents worth.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:43 AM   #13

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 729

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Hmm... I've never had a glitch with a belted long action, so see no reason to "upgrade" for no gain.
That is why I still hold on to my 7mm Rem Mag. But for a newbie there are some cheaper to shoot options, unless you reload.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 07-27-2010, 05:39 AM   #14

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I don't suppose you do know many hunters with .300s there in NH. I know lots of them. I personally like my .338. I say go Win Mag all the way. Yes the others are a couple hundred fps faster but the animal isn't likely to appreciate the difference. The Win mags are chambered in nearly every brand of rifle, in nearly every price range, and they are well able to do the job. I don't see the extra velocity as such a plus, rather the ability to fire a nice long stable 200 gr bullet at the speed an 06 launches a 165 grainer. Provides much more dependability of direction after the bullet enters the animal, making sure you puncture the organ you were after.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:56 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I feel fortunate being able to shoot the .300 Savage, .27o Winchester, and the .30-06 Springfield. All are great and I've been fortunate in having taken bull elk with the last two.
In the 90's I began hunting around Craig. CO. The conservation reserve fields around Craig are huge. I purchased a .300 Win. and have been very pleased. When I first got it, I was frustrated because using the old faithful 4831 the best I could do was 2800 ft/sec with Nosler partition 165 gr. bullets. Eventually I became frustrated enough to purchase a pound of 7828 and the chronograph said 3200+ ft/sec. I was where i wanted to be.
A couple of years ago a friend purchased a .300 WSM and with a 180 gr bullet and shorter barrel he is getting 100 ft/sec faster velocity.
Am I unhappy with my choice? No, I can load my own and as far as I know the powders that make the magic happen for the short mags aren't released to the public yet.
I hope your friend has fun.