Which .300?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Which .300?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2010, 08:31 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 178 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Default Which .300?

My friend is intersted in a .300 magnum of some sort to hunt big game in Colorado with.Should he get a .300 Win mag,.300 Win mag short,.300 Rem ultra mag or .300 Rem short ultra mag?Or something else?

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-24-2010, 08:50 PM   #2

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

What is he hunting? How good of a shot is he? What is is price range?

300 RUM is expensive to shoot and that is putting it lightly.

300 WM is a good round has been since the day it came on the market. The short mags are cool and all but they are all but dead.

Old 07-24-2010, 09:11 PM   #3

Liked 178 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 44

He has only listed elk so far,I am not sure what else he plans to hunt and price isn't much of an issue for him.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 07-24-2010, 10:48 PM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

If he's set on a .300, in my opinion the only reasonable option is the .300 Win Mag. It's been around (and been popular) since the 60's and will probably be around for decades to come.

The .300 is extremely accurate and proper for pretty much all North American game. You can always buy a box at the store and the price doesn't exceed that of the .308 or 30-06 by much (except for .308 surplus).

I've never understood the point of short magnum cartridges and as Tango said they will be gone before we know it.

It never hurts to have a gun chambered for a cartridge that has been popular for so long. . . you know it'll be on the shelf.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:58 PM   #5

Liked 747 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 789

He does not need a .30 cal Mag for elk. I went through the "Needed" stage years ago. I bought a 7mm Remington Magnum. It was "needed" for Elk at the time, it was the current rage. Well guess what I learned..... Although it is great, it was not necessary. Most of us shoot within 200 yards, even on big game or varmints. If you are a skilled hunter, you should be able to acheive your effective range using your brain.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 07-24-2010, 11:13 PM   #6

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If he's dead set on a .300 then the 300 win mag is the way to go. Sure the short mags are cool but they're also more expensive to shoot. I'm going on an elk hunt in October and I traded a cheap .45 for a 300 win mag (Ruger M77 mk2) for my hunt. I didn't NEED a 300 win mag, just that the way I traded I only have $250 in it. I couldn't turn it down for that.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 07-24-2010, 11:20 PM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

He never said needed. . . he said interested in. The .300 isn't as popular as it is because it is overkill, it is popular because it is effective accurate and versatile.

Old 07-24-2010, 11:56 PM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

It doesn`t matter what he gets. A .300 Savage will do the same thing any of the .300 mags. will do, just not quite as far out. Any given bullet will preform the same at the same velocity no matter what the velocity it started it flight. 100 fps. will get you about 5 yrds. maximum point blank range so 300 fps more will onle get you another 15 yrds. ie, 300 to 315 yrds,? not a real great gain. For a hunting gun, or really any gun, accuracy is far more important than velocity. This from a guy that has some sceaming wildcat, barrel burner that really get there fast. If he is looking for alittle longer range tell him to buy a good range finder and work out a good drop chart with wind drift and ckeck it well and don`t worry about what .300 mag. to buy.

Catfish
Ohio

Old 07-25-2010, 12:26 AM   #9

Liked 747 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 789

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
He never said needed. . . he said interested in. The .300 isn't as popular as it is because it is overkill, it is popular because it is effective accurate and versatile.
He is obviously a newbie, as we all were once. The sad part is when I started it was pre, way pre-internet. There is good info, and bad info. But, it gives us more information than I ever had. I don't know a single hunter that still owns a .300 mag, not 1. .280, 30-06 sure, seem to fit the bill, but hey, to each their own. Lots of rounds are effective accurate, and versatile. Having effective accuracy is step 1 in hunting. Somehow it seems I crawled under you skin w/ my reply. That was not the intention.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 07-25-2010, 01:30 AM   #10

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
I don't know a single hunter that still owns a .300 mag, not 1.
Hmm... Pleased to met you JP. I own two .300 Win Mags and hunt with them. But they are overkill for most hunting. But a big Elk is an awesome animal.

Where I hunt in Utah, many of the locals use .270 on Elk. But a couple of the really successful guys have .30-378's and swear by them.

I don't think .300 Win Mag is too much gun, and the "short mags" burn out throats too fast. I've never had a glitch with a belted long action, so see no reason to "upgrade" for no gain.

And .300WM ammo can be bought just about anywhere in the world that they have animals to hunt.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."