30-30 for grizzly???? - Page 9
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > 30-30 for grizzly????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2013, 06:39 PM   #81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 79 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 366

Shotgun~~!! Thats what my brother carries. He's an Alaskian State Troper... He says it's the best for grizzly's..

Sig P220 Equinox, Sig P238
CZ P01 SDP, CZ 75-PCR
Glock 19
S&W M&P 45ACP, S&W M&P Shield 9MM
Kimber Ultra Carry II
Kimber Sapphire Ultra Carry II
Kimber Stainless Pro Raptor II
Kel Tec PF9, Kel Tec P32
Ruger SR9, Ruger SR9C
Remington 887 Nitro Mag Tactical (12g)
Walther PPS
Ruger SR556E
Springfield XDs 9MM/45 ACP
SKS Chinese Norinco
Mosin Nagant 91/30 (2)
NRA Member

Old 10-07-2013, 06:44 PM   #82
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6751 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

State Troopers and Fish and Game are required to carry them, but that doesn't mean they are the best. It means they aren't as lethal down range to innocents as a gun that is 'best'. And shotguns are only good at closer range distances. Just sayin'

Old 10-08-2013, 01:23 PM   #83

Liked 148 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna View Post
State Troopers and Fish and Game are required to carry them, but that doesn't mean they are the best. It means they aren't as lethal down range to innocents as a gun that is 'best'. And shotguns are only good at closer range distances. Just sayin'
Bear encounters that might turn ugly are going to be close range affairs. A bear spotted at several hundred yards isn't a threat like one that you come across at 30 yards. A 12 ga. .69 caliber slug that weighs over 400 grains is as good as it gets up close. And in a handy, reliable firearm that has the ability to fire a wide variety of other types of ammo, makes shotguns very useful and practical for State Troopers and Fish and Game, as well as civilians like us. It also doesn't seem likely that there will be innocent bystanders downrange, in the bear country I've seen at least, not exactly like an urban setting where a crowd might be standing behind the target. Where bears are a problem around homes and campgrounds, more often than not, traps are set or the bears are tranquilized and shipped off to remote regions.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:18 PM   #84
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 330 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandog View Post
Bear encounters that might turn ugly are going to be close range affairs. A bear spotted at several hundred yards isn't a threat like one that you come across at 30 yards. A 12 ga. .69 caliber slug that weighs over 400 grains is as good as it gets up close. And in a handy, reliable firearm that has the ability to fire a wide variety of other types of ammo, makes shotguns very useful and practical for State Troopers and Fish and Game, as well as civilians like us. It also doesn't seem likely that there will be innocent bystanders downrange, in the bear country I've seen at least, not exactly like an urban setting where a crowd might be standing behind the target. Where bears are a problem around homes and campgrounds, more often than not, traps are set or the bears are tranquilized and shipped off to remote regions.
if you spook a bear at 30 years would you have time to access a shotgun that you have slung over your back? That's the pbr advantage a handgun might have is how long it takes to get the firearm in action though. In a close encounter you might not have time unless you're carrying the shotgun in your hands walking down the trail. I don't live in and never even hiked in bear country but seems like a possibility, I could be wrong

Old 10-08-2013, 03:59 PM   #85

Liked 79 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimogden1984 View Post
if you spook a bear at 30 years would you have time to access a shotgun that you have slung over your back? That's the pbr advantage a handgun might have is how long it takes to get the firearm in action though. In a close encounter you might not have time unless you're carrying the shotgun in your hands walking down the trail. I don't live in and never even hiked in bear country but seems like a possibility, I could be wrong
Well... You would certianly have to take your gun out of some sort of holster.. Thats going to take you just as much time as slinging a shotgun over your shoulder. Just saying!!

Sig P220 Equinox, Sig P238
CZ P01 SDP, CZ 75-PCR
Glock 19
S&W M&P 45ACP, S&W M&P Shield 9MM
Kimber Ultra Carry II
Kimber Sapphire Ultra Carry II
Kimber Stainless Pro Raptor II
Kel Tec PF9, Kel Tec P32
Ruger SR9, Ruger SR9C
Remington 887 Nitro Mag Tactical (12g)
Walther PPS
Ruger SR556E
Springfield XDs 9MM/45 ACP
SKS Chinese Norinco
Mosin Nagant 91/30 (2)
NRA Member
sandog Likes This 
Old 10-08-2013, 04:28 PM   #86

Liked 148 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 73

A shotgun slung across your back would take a bit longer to get into action. When traveling in bear country, I have used a different carry method. The slung shotgun is carried , muzzle down with the top of the action away from you (upside down and backwards), and on the opposite shoulder that you shoot from. It is grabbed with the hand on the side you're carrying it with, and the shotgun is twisted up right as you bring it up. Now, in words this sounds complicated. I wish I could show it in a few pictures. The shotgun can be brought into action scary fast this way, in a little over a second. If you have a shotgun at home with a sling , try it. Only downside I could think of is if you slip and fall you could pack dirt into the muzzle. If you were to fall the first thing you should do is check to make sure you didn't jam mud or dirt into the muzzle. One could also lightly put a piece of wide scotch tape like packing tape over the muzzle, it would be blown off by the shot charge with no damage. There are numerous stories of modern day LEO's and old west gunfighters who, under the stress and excitement of an encounter, fired several shots out of a handgun at close range and didn't hit a damn thing. Hitting a grizzly or black bear somewhere other than an instantly incapacitating place (brain or spine) with even a large caliber handgun is just going to piss it off and ensure you get mauled. With a shotgun, or powerful rifle, your chances of hitting where you want to are greatly increased over a handgun, in an adrenaline type situation.

Last edited by sandog; 10-08-2013 at 04:34 PM.
Anna_Purna Likes This 
Old 10-08-2013, 04:37 PM   #87
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Most of the bear encounters on the Kenai Peninsula are in the towns, where they are roaming the neighborhoods because people putting their garbage cans outside the day before, or getting into bird feeders, etc, So yeah, having a gun that will punch through a bear can and is a danger to 'innocent bystanders and their houses'. We have done autopsies on some of these bears and have found sabot slugs still in their hide and barely into the skin.

In towns up here, black bears will generally climb a tree where they can then be darted and eventually be taken out into the wilds. Often we will set traps for black bears and brown bears around areas where they have been seen often enough in town like watering holes, and forested areas throughout the town, but generally brown bears wont succumb to a tranq before they want to make a run for it. Unfortunately, more often than not the browns have to be shot when they are in town.

My 'bear country' may be different than your 'bear country'.

Last edited by Anna_Purna; 10-08-2013 at 05:21 PM.

Old 10-08-2013, 04:39 PM   #88

Liked 748 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 402

I carry a sharp stick to poke at the eyes of grizzlys. I am that much of a man.

Old 10-08-2013, 05:32 PM   #89
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
.......... It also doesn't seem likely that there will be innocent bystanders downrange, in the bear country I've seen at least, not exactly like an urban setting where a crowd might be standing behind the target. .................
Kinda silly for a state trooper to be out in the middle of nowhere on a bear call up here.

Old 10-08-2013, 05:36 PM   #90
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 330 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchunt101 View Post
I carry a sharp stick to poke at the eyes of grizzlys. I am that much of a man.
I do it with a spoon