30-30 for grizzly???? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > 30-30 for grizzly????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2013, 04:17 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 238 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 381

what about a 308?

Old 09-22-2013, 04:35 PM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

I would consider a 270 to be the minimum for large bear defense. One of the 300 mags or better to be the best cartridge for defense against large animals. I have seen Alaska state troopers shoot both moose and bear in self defense. On both occasions the animal was less than 10 yards away when the trooper opened up. Both troopers shot the animal twice in the head with a 12 ga slug. The moose actually required two shots in the head to put it down. Then it tried to get back up before it finally expired. I would dare to say the Alaskan Troopers get more range time than your average officer or they are hunters themselves. It would be very difficult to teach that kind of composure to someone with no experience in the woods.

Old 09-22-2013, 04:53 PM   #23

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
I hear a lot of talk about bears and protection from bears on this forum. What I want to know is how many people get bear mauled every year? I am not familiar with the critters because there just aren't many of them here and the ones that are here are the black bears that are not aggressive unless they are with cubs or provoked.

In the woods where I am, the danger is snakes, and they will succumb to what ever round I happen to be carrying. The other danger is yellow jackets. When those buggers are riled the only protection is a strategic withdrawal with all haste, abandoning your firearm with them if it slows you down. I have never know a man brave enough to give unarmored battle to a nest of stirred up yellow jackets.
If you don't have any hornet spray the best way I have found to deal with yellow jackets is to put gas in a short piece of water hose. I just walk up 5 or 6 feet from the nest and blow the gas on the nest. If you blow real hard you will kill the flying yellow jackets along with the ones in the nest.

I was weed eating when I disturbed a yellow jacket nest. I tried to fend them off with the weed eater. I did kill most of the yellow jackets as soon as they came out of the nest but I got stung 17 times on the legs. The venom from 17 stings made my head swell up to the point that my ears looked like had been beaten in a boxing match. My family doctor was in his office when this happened. He gave me a shot of benadryl. By the time I paid the bill the benadryl had started working. I keep benadryl on hand at all times during warm weather after that experience.

Old 09-23-2013, 05:22 AM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1563 Times on 1060 Posts
Likes Given: 1701

Hornady says its 160 gr. LEVERevolution ammo runs at 2400 fps. & has 2100 ft. lbs. of energy at muzzle, thats pretty darn good. They did it back in the day with the .32-40 & the .30 WCF is definitely better than that................

Old 09-23-2013, 05:45 AM   #25

Liked 4795 Times on 2681 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Most Grizz fatalities occur in Wyoming near Yellowstone. This is to be expected because tourist ignore warnings. The hundreds of attacks and encounters go unreported through out the West every year. Shoot Shovel and Shutup is the code to follow.
People Like This 
Old 09-23-2013, 08:00 PM   #26

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM

i dont consider any handgun round adequate for bear.

bear have been killed in defense with things like the 45acp 40sw and 9mm but shooting a bear with a pistol and successfully saving your life is more a matter of luck than any ability to effectively stop a bear with a handgun.

police in alaska take a 12ga with slugs if they think a bear encounter is remotely possible. they arent lugging 44's or 500sw either

i bbq once a year in bear country cooking all nite. for decades i used a 458winmag recently switched to a 45-70.

if all you have is a 30-30 its better than a sharp stick but its not what i would consider, even remotely, as a dangerous game cartridge
I was just saying that generally people consider the .44 mag the minimum but obviously something larger is much better.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:21 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6752 Times on 3670 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

the 30-30 has killed thousands of bears back in their day, but that was when thats all they had. If they had the choice it would have been something a bit bigger.
towboater Likes This 
Old 09-23-2013, 08:24 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I applaud your efforts. If it doesn't work at first, consider using it as a bear suppository.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:35 PM   #29

Liked 209 Times on 139 Posts
Likes Given: 127

One important thing to remember, when dealing with a charging bear ( or Rottweilers or Pit bulls, for that matter), is not to bolt and run, that will just encourage them, like a dog that will chase a cat more if it runs. To stand there and not show fear takes some cool -headedness and we are helped along in that respect being too scared to move as well. I'm sure the grizz that charged me finally recognized that he was charging a hunter who was throwing down on him, but he probably didn't expect me to stand my ground either. Most animals that are "king of the forest" are used to everything else getting out of their way.
I used to take out trail rides and then pack for hunters in the Shoshone Natl. Forest between Cody and the East gate of Yellowstone. We would take 15-25 riders out on breakfast rides where several of 2 1/2 foot skillets were filled with sizzling bacon, sausage and eggs. I was always expecting a grizzly to show up to such a feast. I had a Redhawk .44, and a Marlin .45/70 with Barnes 400 gr. hand loads at the ready, just in case. None of the city dudes that were with us ever said they were uncomfortable about the firearms being around, many said the opposite. One time a wrangler at a neighboring ranch took a group on a week long ride up into Sunlight Basin in the Absarokee mountains north of us. I knew there were a lot of grizzlies up that way, so when I saw him again, I asked if He'd seen any. "Yeah, saw 33 of them", he said,"but might have been counting the same one a time or two". I'd hope it was all different ones, the ones that follow you are usually the trouble makers.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:34 PM   #30

Liked 4795 Times on 2681 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

The U.S. Army was in charge of protecting Yellowstone in the early days. Indian raids on tourist and the Grizzly bears were big problems. It was not the old .45-70 that thinned out the bears. It was the Springfield Mdl. of 1903 .30-06.
jpattersonnh Likes This