Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > .30-06 vs .338 lapua magnum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2010, 04:14 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default .30-06 vs .338 lapua magnum.

Besides the cost difference of $1.2k to $4.5k (I have no clue about a good price for the .338) in terms of target practice what would be best? My current .30-06 ruger (I forgot what type of scope I will get this info as soon as I can) it shoots very well when the scope is sighted for 100yards which I would figure is standard for target or hunting, depending on game. Looking at ballistics the .338 travels a lot further, and is faster, probably because of the magnum cartridge. Would I be better off sticking with the .30-06 than trading my heart and soul for .338 lap magnum?
On a side note the .30-06 has killed every soda bottle I have put it up against, only misses were sighting the scope in appropriately. I have no pictures yet, the one's I have right now are low quality.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-02-2010, 04:30 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

What is the reason for the question? The .30-06 is a great cartridge that will kill just about everything in North America.

The .338 Lapua isn't even stable at 100 yards ( practically ) and would be considered as an Ultra long range round, not really an animal taking round unless you are going to Africa.

These two cartridges aren't really even in the same league, and as far as application goes, I don't see many for the Lapua that do not involve shooting targets in the sandbox.

JD

Old 08-02-2010, 05:03 PM   #3

So in terms of long range for the .338 how long range are we talking? I have heard of people shooting up to 2,000 yards confirmed hits, but besides that, whats the point? I wanted another long range target shooting gun, but there has to be some other alternative.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:16 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

That is exactly my point. Rounds like the .338 Lapua, the .416 Barrett, the .408 Chey-Tac, the .50BMG - None of these rounds have a real application beyond killing a man at a great distance away.

People will tell you that they can be used for shooting 1000 yard competition, or big gam hunting the Cape and other BS, but really, there are specialized rounds for both applications that are WAY better performers.

If you have a .30-06, there is no reason to get another LONG range anything. You can probably improve on the accuracy of the weapon with some tweaking, but you already have an application that will do just about everything needed out to 800 yards all day long.

Do you even have a range that will let you shoot 1,000 yards in your area? We had ONE and it got scaled back to 550 yards open every day of the week and another range that is open to 600 yards twice a month. And that is within 2 plus hours of a drive from my house in ANY direction.

Unless you are going to be participating in ULTRA long range sniping, there is no good, reasonable, application for any of these rounds beyond "want".

JD

Old 08-02-2010, 06:06 PM   #5

The open range I go to has a lot of ranges, if you go to the top of the hill we calculated it to be 1,225 yards. There are no home so it is legal to shoot into the mountain, the bullets wont bounce off and ricochet into anyone. As you said it's the same for people firing .50 BMG's "just to have one" and the .408 cheytac intervention bullets. Thanks for letting me know, my question is does a scope help more than trying a different gun and paying out the *** just to find out the scope is the most important part of any longer range rifle?

Old 08-02-2010, 07:22 PM   #6

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Nake, a good rule of thumb is to expect to pay as much for the optics, or more, than you would for the rifle.

A quality rifle requires the best optics, mount, rings and setup that you can get.

Once you step out past 800 yards, the rules change. You leave basic rifle shooting behind and enter a new realm.

If you want more "oomph" than your '06, check out a good .300. Win Mag, Weatherby Mag, RUM, etc. Lots of choices. They should get you to around 1200+ without breaking the bank, and will not beat you up, either.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 08-02-2010, 08:14 PM   #7

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Default 30-06 vs 338 lapua

other than designated sniping there is no practical advantages of the 338 l.mag over the 06 ..for long range .....ugh ultra long range one would spend several thousands of dollars for optics (scope and spotting scope ), wind machine ,ballistics calculator computer programs etc to get this done not counting reloading equip for ammo needed to get proficiant....lots of ammo ..lots of practice...not to burst your bubble but 95-98% of civilians that claim to be snipers and have the equipment dont even shoot enough to be considered deadly at 1000 yards ....it would be great to own such weapons /equipment and toys but to a civilian they are only that ....toys and i really enjoyed the movie ''shooter '' too. keep the 06 put a bdc scope on it ...put about $6000.00 in your pocket

Old 08-02-2010, 08:27 PM   #8

I agree I am by no-means able to shoot accurately at 1000 yards, I am still practicing at 210 yards for accuracy. I looked up bdc scopes and for the price they look quite nice. I have kept every single brass from all my .30-06 shots and have ~250 so I could probably start reloading those and not have to pay as much for the bullets, since here they are issued at no less than $1 a piece.

Old 08-04-2010, 02:11 AM   #9
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1155 Times on 667 Posts
Likes Given: 556

Your best bet for a scope reticle is a mildot or duplex if you are planning on shooting long range. The BDC reticles do work,but you have to do a lot of homework to figure out what the exact range of each line or circle is for each different type of bullet you intend on shooting.
A Mildot reticle would be faster at ranging once you know the ballistics of the rounds you shoot.

Like M14'sRock said,you will need some quality optics,base,and rings in order to be accurate at long range shooting. The Sightrons on two of my rifles are probably what most long range shooters would call entry level scopes,and they are around $800 a piece. Go on up the ladder and they go into the thousands for the top quality optics.

Shooting long range is as much a science as it is an art,there are many variables that come into play once you start shooting beyond a couple hundred yards.

Old 08-04-2010, 02:57 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nake48 View Post
My current .30-06 ruger (I forgot what type of scope I will get this info as soon as I can)
I'm not much of a rifleman, I lean towards the pistol end of things, but I can tell you the number, brand, type, and weight of the bullets in every gun I have. I can't imagine anyone being a serious rifleman, someone who shoots with any degree of skill, who couldn't tell you what kind of scope was on his rifle! Just from what I read in your first posts, I'll go out on a limb and say "Stick with your 30.06." You aren't ready, and probably not serious, about any of this. The .338 is a league I don't think you are ready to enter.

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.