30-06 recoil - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > 30-06 recoil

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2010, 01:55 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1089 Times on 642 Posts
Likes Given: 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhuntr View Post
I always felt that a 12-ga. kicked a lot harder than my 30-06, but maybe the Remington 742 dampened the recoil some.
I have a Remington 870 and a Springfield 03A3 30-06 and the 12 gage 870 kicks much harder IMO. Now the Springfield is something I still feel in my shoulder the next day if I shoot it to many times but the 12 gage kicks harder and hurts more the next day.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 07-14-2010, 02:52 AM   #12

Cowboy up!!

let no talents go unused

Old 07-14-2010, 05:50 AM   #13

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Lots of good info here. Recoil and capable elk calibers talk is always interesting to me.

Txhill,

Brother, you are dead on with the getting a rifle that fits. There used to be a great thread in the Knowledge Base by Dillinger about fitting a stocked gun. I used to use friend's .30-06 rifle for bear and deer in PA that had a custom made stock by by friend's father. We were nearly the same size and build, and that rifle fit me like a glove. I never felt much recoil compared to a new out of box .270 his uncle had. That did not fit me and I hated shooting it. That's right, I said .270. Now, that in itself proved to me that fit was it.

Most 12 ga shottys can be a bit of a beast with anything other than game loads. I hunt mostly with a 12 ga and you don't feel the kick when you are shooting a game animal. Well, except for the mid to low end magnum shottys.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 07-14-2010, 06:26 AM   #14

I've personally never shot an '06. But I do use a Remington 870 Express Magnum and a Remington 770 Synthetic in .270 Win. More specifically a 130Gr Remington Core-lokt bullet. The gun has a Nice tight fit on my shoulder and I never feel recoil from it, The gun just jumps back a bit...

Now my Dad's 870... I can shoot 3'' Magnum birdshot all day long. But if I shot more than a magazine (5 shells) of 2 3/4 '' Buck shot, I really have to be motivated to keep shooting.

If any of your friends have a few of the calibers that your poking around, see if you can't try one of them to get an Idea. But remember, Every gun is different, Find what fits you.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:23 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

As stated above, percieved recoil is more about the rifle than the cartrdige. When I bought my M-700 in .30-06 way back in 1978, I thought it kicked like a horse. Many years later I realized I needed a longer length of pull to better fit that rifle to my long toroso and arms (I am 6'-3"). I had a recoil pad installed to lengthen the stock, and it has not bothered me since. I am sure the extra padding of the recoil pad had something to do with it, but I firmly believe the better fit of the stock to my shoulder is the main reason that I can shoot 60-80 rounds through it at the range with no significant after-effects.

I shot 48 rounds though my M1 Garand and 48 through my 1903-A3 two weeks ago while working up a new standard re-load for the various .30-06 military rifles I have. Neither rifle inflicted much pain, not the Garand because it is gas operated, nor the 03-A3 because it is a relatively heavy rifle.

Now with my K98-k (8mm Mauser), I cry like a baby after 10-12 rounds!

However, I also agee with the previous poster, if recoil is a big concern of yours, get the .308.

TXnorton

Old 07-16-2010, 04:35 PM   #16

Liked 54 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 44

I have a Remy 760 in 30.06 and an sporterized 03 springfield .06 the 760 has more recoil but I don't mind recoil. I also have a Stevens model 200 in .308 that kicks harder than either of my .06s. I can shoot the .06s all day with little discomfort but 20 rounds from the 308 bruses the cheek. Firm cheek weld is necessary but does not seem to reduce the cheek felt recoil in this particular rifle. Although the gun is very comfortable to shoulder, it still kicks relatively hard due to its weight. The Stevens weighs slightly over 6 lbs. Most of the recoil is felt in my cheek which I don't like at all. Usually those who are aprehensive of recoil tend to not hold the butt firmly to the shoulder thinking it won't kick as hard. Recoil felt and a firmly placed butt are inversely proportionate as are those half moon scars over the right eye, which i've never experienced but have witnessed several times. I try not to laugh when I see this happen. A proper fit is important but if the rifle is not held properly it doesn't matter much.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 07-21-2010, 05:52 AM   #17

Recoil, as stated, is not noticable when hunting. That being said, recoil is different when I have a scope. I have a .30-06 and mounted a 70$ Bushnell on it. With 200 gr bullets, it kicks. The scope comes back. I get nicked, not bad. I flinch from then on. That is why I bought a Lead Sled for sighting in my rifles. I can shoot my Marlin 1895 45-70 with open sights and not flinch, but it makes me sore as hell. But I'm a 5'11", 200lb high school D-lineman. I have a ways to grow.

Old 07-22-2010, 04:02 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbirdguy View Post
I have conciiidered getting a 30-06 but don't know about recoil just ii heard it compars to a big load. In a 12. Gauge I have a 870 I am ok with it just shhot a buck hammer slug once got scared of it not the recoil but getting clobbered by the scope
Reg sluugs don't bother me
I. Someday might. Want to get an elk or sompting so
I know the 30-06 is capable. Want to practice with it. And get good befor I decide to go just unshur of recoil
I am not intrested in expensive calibers to shote just good popular one not hard to get ammo for .....and could do elk maby black bear or wild boars.... thanks
I also like the 243 its under powered I. Think

Are you using a shotgun scope or a rifle scope? Shotgun scopes usually have a much longer eye relief than a rifle scope.

Last edited by birdzman; 07-22-2010 at 05:06 PM.

Old 07-22-2010, 04:09 PM   #19

Shotgun sccope no never got me just I guess scared me alittle as ii have heard stories

Old 07-22-2010, 05:10 PM   #20

I asked because once at the range we saw a poor guy after he took a shot using a rifle scope on a shotgun, it wasn't pretty.