30.06 purchasing advice
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > 30.06 purchasing advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2010, 07:57 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 30.06 purchasing advice

So... noob here. I was always a bow hunter, hunting Colorado elk only. Grew up hunting Pa. whitetail w/ a 30/30. I have injured my shoulder and cannot bowhunt for a long while if ever. A friend lent me his Browning Mark IV 30.06 for this season and I want to buy a rifle this coming summer. I am POOR and do not have the money for something like the Mark IV and really only hunt one week each season and maybe shoot one box of ammo between practice, sighting in and hunting combined so I do not even need that weapon. I see some deals at Sports Authority and Bass Pro Shops from time to time. Question: buy used at a gun show or buy a lesser gun new. If a lesser gun new....what is the best of the cheap guns? I know most will say to save up and get something better. No can do financially. It would mean giving up hunting altogether and that is also a no go. I need one good straight bullet out to about 100 yards max each season. Please help me me a smart cheapo!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-22-2010, 08:28 PM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

First, welcome to the forum. If it was me I'd buy a new "lesser" economy rifle. When buying used you MAY luck up on a good deal OR you MAY happen across a problem rifle. Two brands/models rise to the top above the others in the inexpensive choices. Marlin XL-7/X7 and the Savage Edge. Between the 2 I'd (and did) choose the Marlin. The marlin has a better pillar bedded classic style stock, Lightning trigger (think Accutrigger) and comes with the 1 piece scope base. I assume you want the 30-06 cartridge? I had a Marlin in .270 that would group well under an inch but that's with me "slicking" it up. Out of the box it would group around MOA or a little better.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 10-24-2010, 01:58 AM   #3

Liked 54 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Bear is a lot more knowledgable than I so I am not countering his remark but I have a Stevens 200, basically a Savage Edge that was inexpensive and accurate. As far as relyability goes, I haven't had it long enough to know. If you can find a good used .06 it might be the way to go but be careful. For 100 yd gun, most any center fire will sufice.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 10-24-2010, 05:20 AM   #4

Liked 704 Times on 433 Posts
Likes Given: 1695

There's been an awful lot of whitetails taken with a Remington model 742 semi-auto in 30-06. I killed my first deer with one in 1971, and most of 'em since then.
I still have one, in fact.

Old 10-25-2010, 12:09 PM   #5

Default 30.06

If your shoulder is injured, will the recoil from a 30.06 be an issue? That round may be more than you need for a 100 yard shot on a white tail. You could move down to a 7mm08 and reduce the recoil and wear and tear on your shoulder. I have the Marlin XS-7 in that caliber and it is a proven deer rifle out to well over 200 yards. Plus, it shoots slightly smaller groups than my daughter's Savage in the same caliber.

Old 10-25-2010, 03:55 PM   #6

Naw, the .06 doesn`t bother the shoulder a bit. The injury is nerve damage in C-5 which just kills the strength needed to draw, hold and let down. The only game I hunt is elk and 200 yards would be a really long shot for me. I like to keep it under 100 yards.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:10 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If you are going to keep it short range by rifle standards and need to buy on the cheap. Think about a new or used in line muzzle loader. My knight will shoot game just as well as any of my center fires in that 100+ yard range. $200.00 would go a long ways to get you set up on the cheap.

Old 10-28-2010, 03:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnshooter View Post
So... noob here. I was always a bow hunter, hunting Colorado elk only. Grew up hunting Pa. whitetail w/ a 30/30. I have injured my shoulder and cannot bowhunt for a long while if ever. A friend lent me his Browning Mark IV 30.06 for this season and I want to buy a rifle this coming summer. I am POOR and do not have the money for something like the Mark IV and really only hunt one week each season and maybe shoot one box of ammo between practice, sighting in and hunting combined so I do not even need that weapon. I see some deals at Sports Authority and Bass Pro Shops from time to time. Question: buy used at a gun show or buy a lesser gun new. If a lesser gun new....what is the best of the cheap guns? I know most will say to save up and get something better. No can do financially. It would mean giving up hunting altogether and that is also a no go. I need one good straight bullet out to about 100 yards max each season. Please help me me a smart cheapo!
My 2 cents. I understand poor and I think you'd do well to buy a used Savage 110. Stevens 200 is the same thing just about. Poor man's rifle it seems but for accuracy it holds its own. Comes in just about all flavors; 30-06 too.

If you are scrimping pennies and saving aluminum cans, its a good idea to go to your local Walmart and check the cost of bullets. Federals at my WM go for $14 a box and I see 30-06 and 270 as the local favorites.

Buy a few boxes '06 150 gr. if that's your choice, zero it 2 inches high at 100 yards and you can pretty extend your range out to 250-300 yards spot on. That is if you have the rounds to practice with and yes, it will do 100 yards and your elk splendidly.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:57 PM   #9

Liked 54 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 44

This man has a Remington Model 78 with upgrades to the safety and the stock, Seems like a pretty good deal. Check him out. at Sultar31@yahoo.com Or on PAFOA classifieds. Wants to trade 30.06 for .243 or sell outright.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Last edited by dteed4094; 10-29-2010 at 01:59 PM.

Old 10-30-2010, 02:40 PM   #10

When I was looking for a hunting rifle, the general opinion was that advances in metallurgy and machining made newer rifles are better than older, used ones. Seemed to hold true for me. Tried two used rifles before settling on a plain (brand new) Remington 700 .30-06 adl with a synthetic stock.

Payed less than $400 for it about 12 years ago. Not much to look at, nice to carry, shoulders and shoots well, very accurate. Sold the other other two rifles.

Another inexpensive option would be a H&R handy rifle. H&R 1871 Don't have any personal experience with them, but I like my NEF ultra-slugger.