Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   30-06 M1 Springfeild question/worth? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/30-06-m1-springfeild-question-worth-33052/)

VitSports6 10-14-2010 10:00 PM

30-06 M1 Springfeild question/worth?

Hi all.
I have a friend that is selling a Springfeild M1 AFAIKT its a '43 era rifle(3,200,000 SN range) he is asking $650, I'm not very well versed on the M1, I have always wanted one, Just curious if any of you have any thoughts on the value, I dont even know what the wood color should look like, Its almost a redish brown color, and kind of dinged up, The lands look great which could mean it has a newer barrel and what not.
I only got to look at it for a few min, He will be back to pick up a job in about a half hour.
Thanks for any thoughts.

Highpower 10-14-2010 10:46 PM

If it is in decent condition, that's not a bad price. CMP is selling service grade Springfield Garands for $600 right now.

As long as it doesn't have any severely worn parts, the head space is ok, and it's properly timed it would be worth the money IMHO. I'm a sucker for a nice Garand though. I've got 4 of em.... :o

VitSports6 10-15-2010 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Highpower (Post 368422)
If it is in decent condition, that's not a bad price. CMP is selling service grade Springfield Garands for $600 right now.

As long as it doesn't have any severely worn parts, the head space is ok, and it's properly timed it would be worth the money IMHO. I'm a sucker for a nice Garand though. I've got 4 of em.... :o

Thanks for the input, My friend didn't make it back into work today, I hope I get a better look at it tomorrow.
I looked on the CMP site, But again I don't know what exactly to rate it at, I will say most of the metal was silvery in color, Not a nice new black.

Highpower 10-15-2010 03:14 AM

Best thing for you to do would be to have a 3rd party that knows Garands look it over for you before you open your wallet. :cool:

The finish on the metal and wood would be the least of your problems IMO.

VitSports6 10-15-2010 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Highpower (Post 368596)
Best thing for you to do would be to have a 3rd party that knows Garands look it over for you before you open your wallet. :cool:

The finish on the metal and wood would be the least of your problems IMO.

You are correct, Again I appreciate the thoughts.
From my short time looking over the rifle, Everything seemed to be working smoothly, But that wouldn't account for head space and or any other possible issues.
It was kind of an out of the blue comment that he was selling, Its actually his 16 year old sons who is looking to get a late 60's to mid 70's Muscle car, He has 3 or 4 other rifles for sale as well, But the M1 caught my eye.
Thanks again.

Garandy 10-17-2010 01:46 AM

Thats a late 1944 SN..Sept, Oct

M14sRock 10-17-2010 03:57 AM

Find someone in your area who can check your throat erosion and muzzle wear.

Highpower 10-17-2010 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M14sRock (Post 369471)
Find someone in your area who can check your throat erosion and muzzle wear.

I had my doctor do that at my last office visit.

He suggested to my wife that she loosen up the straps on my muzzle a bit, as it was beginning to cut off my circulation.

Uhh, no -- wait......

M14sRock 10-17-2010 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Highpower (Post 369556)
I had my doctor do that at my last office visit.

He suggested to my wife that she loosen up the straps on my muzzle a bit, as it was beginning to cut off my circulation.

Uhh, no -- wait......

THAT is some funny chit on a Sunday morning! But now I'm coughing up coffee.

Highpower 10-17-2010 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M14sRock (Post 369682)
But now I'm coughing up coffee.

Ahh.... mission accomplished. :D