30-06.. Long shot

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > 30-06.. Long shot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 06:00 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default 30-06.. Long shot

I currently white tail hunt with a tikka t3 30-06... I shoot 180 ballistic tip Remington ammo, which I would not feel comfortable taking a deer over 175 yards... I'm thinking of switching to a smaller grain and possible different brand of ammo... My goal is to be able to reach out to 300 and 400 yards and hit a deer... Who has recomendations on ammo size? Brand? And any scope suggestions would be helpful as well

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-02-2012, 06:53 AM   #2

Liked 22 Times on 15 Posts

The 180 grain BT will work just fine on deer out to 400 yards after you practice enough to be capable of consistently hitting the vital area of a deer at that range. Properly sighted in, a 30/06 with 180's will have a "point blank" range of about 275 yds. Beyond that an adjustment in aiming point or a scope adjustment is required.
150's shoot flatter but still would require correction at 300 yds+.
The maximum range at which you can hit a gallon milk jug lying on it's side EVERY TIME, is your maximum effective range on big game if you have any respect for the game. Equipment can stretch the range to a certain extent but practice and familiarity with the equipment you have can stretch it even more.
Recomendations for optics will vary according to the type of hunting you do. Hunting in rough country and in adverse conditions places the emphasis on ruggedness over everything else. Sitting in a stand and watching a field places little restriction what you can use. I lean toward the rugged and rudimentary side of things so I prefer fixed power scopes of 4 or 6 power for most applications. I loathe big heavy scopes with large objective lenses for field use. This is, I know, counter to the trend of the times but there it is! GD

Old 10-02-2012, 07:04 AM   #3
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8672 Times on 5014 Posts
Likes Given: 11265

The 180 grain should be fine out to 300 or 400 yards, as long as you are up to the task. As Greydog said, if you can hit a milk jug consistently out that far you will be fine. Practice until you can, or limit your shots to those within your effective range.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:16 AM   #4

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Yes 180s will put em down if you can get consistent.

My questions is why is that a goal for you? It is not super difficult to get consistent at long shots. What is difficult is getting close enough to make short shots.

Shooting is the easiest part of hunting. The hunt before, and what comes after the shot is much more difficult.

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

USEBOTHHANDS Likes This 
Old 10-02-2012, 07:37 AM   #5

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturnsdale View Post
My questions is why is that a goal for you?
I don't think it is any of our business. If the shot taken is ethical, why question his motives?

Old 10-02-2012, 09:25 AM   #6

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

If I can make 300 yard shots with a 230 grain round nose bullet you can make a 175 yard shot with a 180 gr boat tail bullet...If you shoot with your eyes open. You don't even have to spit on the front sight

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

USEBOTHHANDS Likes This 
Old 10-02-2012, 07:01 PM   #7

Liked 78 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Sounds like ya got a plan. If you can't bring the deer in closer, reach out and touch them at a distance. Those 180's will do the trick for ya, PLUS, you'll also have good knockdown when it hits. No need to go to 150gr, unless your rifle shoots better with them.
As to a scope, I have a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40 in Leupold rings on my cheap-ass Mossberg ATR100 in 30-06, and it'll bring down any deer within 200yds using CoreLok 150gr HP. It'll shoot 180gr also, but it groups better with the 150gr. If I was trying to go out further, I would switch to a heavier grain and FMJ for deeper penetration.
Del

Old 10-03-2012, 12:42 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Triumph man yes I just order me a Nikon prostaff 4-12x40 today and I am going to put that on my tikA T3 30-06 and see how far I can get out to ... U like ur Nikon??? And the Leupold rings are by far the best rings out there I was in a stand last year and the bottom rotten out and everything in the Stand fell out , besides me, my scope hit the tree and ground but the rings didn't move at all shot it the next day and was dead on

Old 10-03-2012, 02:44 AM   #9

Liked 78 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Love my Nikon. Great glass. I got it used, but it's been the best so far for my 30-06.
Del

Old 10-03-2012, 06:12 AM   #10

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I also have a NIKON buckmaster 3x9 and have been really happy with it. I have the bdc reticle and can shoot an elk at 600 If I really needed too. I shoot the tikka in 300wsm though. I would go with the NIKON since they have the ballistic calculator for their scopes, and you can select the bullet type and everything. I think vortex has a similar thing as well, but not sure. Vortex has the best warranty though with good bdc scopes as well.