Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   30-06 Ammo (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/30-06-ammo-3783/)

Benelli29 03-21-2008 01:39 PM

30-06 Ammo

I was wondering what is better ammo for practicing at a target range Remmington core locks or Winchester:D

stalkingbear 03-27-2008 02:51 PM

30-06

Since they are going to be priced pretty close I would buy 1 box of each to see which your rifle shoots more accurately and stick with it.

robocop10mm 03-27-2008 06:22 PM

Every rifle has it's own preferences. It is impossible to predict which ammo will be to the liking of the rifle. +1 on getting a box of each and trying them out. Different bullet weights work better in some guns also. 150, 165, 180. Winchester, Remington, Hornaday, Speer, PMC, Federal. It can be an expensive proposition to try out enough loads to find the sweet one. That's where handloading comes in. You can work up a load 3 rounds at a time to find the one that your rifle likes.

ChicagoJoe 05-14-2008 06:58 PM

Practice how you play

Practice at the range with whatever round you plan to use for your hunt. If that is still open, I have had good experience with the Core-Lokt.

deth502 05-14-2008 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChicagoJoe (Post 24021)
Practice at the range with whatever round you plan to use for your hunt. If that is still open, I have had good experience with the Core-Lokt.

exactly.

when you aim for that "important" shot, you want to be sure that its going to hit where you want it, not where a cheaper brand of practice ammo would hit.

Gallo Pazzesco 05-16-2008 12:59 PM

I too have had decent luck with Core-Lokt, but I also like Federal Vital Shok as well. I choose home-rolled for real-time field use however. I plink with factory, and even try to score with it at times, but I zero and hunt with home-rolled.

jocww 05-17-2008 03:20 AM

what ever is cheaper then u get a box of what your going to hunt with and shoot that every once in awhile or right before your hunt.

Gallo Pazzesco 05-19-2008 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jocww (Post 24336)
what ever is cheaper then u get a box of what your going to hunt with and shoot that every once in awhile or right before your hunt.

See - I disagree with that. I think far too many people these days don't spend enough time with their stick and then they go out, zero the day before the hunt anmd thing they are ready.

You gotta live with that thing and learn all of its nuances ... including the ammo.

jocww 05-21-2008 06:45 AM

If your just going to go plink around why buy more expensive stuff when you can go cheap and then buy a box of the stuff your going to take hunting and shoot all 20 before you go hunting the week or day before. You save money I dont see a downfall to this. The other way to do it is the way we do it do reloads its cheaper and you can taylor it to your needs.

randy 05-21-2008 11:44 AM

Shoot What U Use.....

With the many weapons I use, with the exception of Plinking with 22 L/rifle

I use the same ammo at the range as I use during the Hunt... I have found
there is enough Human Error in every hunt. Why create More & blame it on
the ammo, ammo you didn't always practice with?? Since I like Remingtons
I like Remington ammo so I say Corelock, But I like Winchester Brass & I
reload my own ammo...