30-06 ??? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > 30-06 ???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2013, 06:40 AM   #31
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21585 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

my suggestion is if more range sessions than hunting, go with the 308. lots of selection as far as factory ammo for the 308. little easier on the shoulder as well.

anything the 30-06 can do, the 308 can do almost as well. it doesn't give up much in velocity or energy as far as hunting to the 30-06. now when you step up to the heavier, say 180 gr. plus bullet weights, this is where the 30-06 has an edge due to case capacity. but the 308 can be hunted with for most game in America, if the proper ammo and shot placement are used.

Old 10-26-2013, 12:23 PM   #32

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 730

For 90% of the game in North America a .308 is great. Just a warning, if you buy a rifle with a cheap composite stock, it will kick the snot out of you in short order weather .308 or .30-06. If you were to hand load you can tame any cartridge by using the correct powder. Cheaper ammo tends to use faster powder, that creates a fast jolt to the shoulder. Slower powder makes that a push.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

People Like This 
Old 10-26-2013, 12:40 PM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1246 Times on 806 Posts
Likes Given: 2521

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
For 90% of the game in North America a .308 is great. Just a warning, if you buy a rifle with a cheap composite stock, it will kick the snot out of you in short order weather .308 or .30-06. If you were to hand load you can tame any cartridge by using the correct powder. Cheaper ammo tends to use faster powder, that creates a fast jolt to the shoulder. Slower powder makes that a push.
I think a lot of people really underestimate the kick of a .308 compared to a 30-06. I've shot .308's that kick worse than some 30-06's. And of course I've shot 30-06's that kicked bad. It all comes down to the rifle, load, and a recoil pad will help both rounds. Just don't assume that .308 isn't going to have much recoil.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:59 PM   #34

Quote:

i use slower powders in my magnum loads adn it tames them down to very comfortable levels. by using slower powders, the round produces the same amount of recoil, just that it spreads over a longer duration that make it have less felt recoil. slower powders makes it feel more like a push than a kick like faster powders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
I think a lot of people really underestimate the kick of a .308 compared to a 30-06. I've shot .308's that kick worse than some 30-06's. And of course I've shot 30-06's that kicked bad. It all comes down to the rifle, load, and a recoil pad will help both rounds. Just don't assume that .308 isn't going to have much recoil.
weight of the firearm can have a huge affect on felt recoil. stock construction can play a huge part in how well it absorbs that recoil and transfering it to you along with how well the rifle fits you.

a lighter, synthetic stocked 308 vs. a heavier walnut stocked 30-06 may have more felt recoil, even though both are pretty close in the amount of recoil where the 308 is a bit lighter.

here is a chart i found that lists the amount of recoil various calibers have with different bullet weights. pretty good reading.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm
Old 10-26-2013, 01:52 PM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
i use slower powders in my magnum loads adn it tames them down to very comfortable levels. by using slower powders, the round produces the same amount of recoil, just that it spreads over a longer duration that make it have less felt recoil. slower powders makes it feel more like a push than a kick like faster powders.

weight of the firearm can have a huge affect on felt recoil. stock construction can play a huge part in how well it absorbs that recoil and transfering it to you along with how well the rifle fits you.

a lighter, synthetic stocked 308 vs. a heavier walnut stocked 30-06 may have more felt recoil, even though both are pretty close in the amount of recoil where the 308 is a bit lighter.

here is a chart i found that lists the amount of recoil various calibers have with different bullet weights. pretty good reading.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm
Thanks for the chart. And I agree 100% percent on the weight of a rifle making a big difference. I've always preferred heavier rifles for that reason. .308's are in short actions and 30-06's in long actions which means more weight for the 30-06. And 30-06's usually use slower powders than a .308 so the recoil often feels more like a strong push rather than a sharp kick. But there are some rifles in both calibers that will just beat the snot out of you!
Old 10-26-2013, 02:33 PM   #36

Liked 189 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 96

The recoil of my 308 is considerably less then my 30-06, of course my 308 likes a mild dose of Varget and 150gr while my 06 likes near max loads of IMR4350 and 165gr which makes a difference.

Old 10-26-2013, 02:37 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
Thanks for the chart. And I agree 100% percent on the weight of a rifle making a big difference. I've always preferred heavier rifles for that reason. .308's are in short actions and 30-06's in long actions which means more weight for the 30-06. And 30-06's usually use slower powders than a .308 so the recoil often feels more like a strong push rather than a sharp kick. But there are some rifles in both calibers that will just beat the snot out of you!
the short action vs. long action weight difference is only a few ounces if the guns are equal in all other aspects.

i have a Marlin XL7 in 25-06 and a XS7 in 7mm-08 and the weight difference is minimal when i weighed them.

now my Marlin XS7VH in 308 that i have modified with adding weight being one modification right now weighs more than 13.5 lbs with the scope. i still want to add some more and get it up to about 15-16 lbs. as much as it weighs, the recoil is very, very mild. i think i have a couple of rimfires that have more felt recoil than that rifle!
Old 10-26-2013, 04:11 PM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
the short action vs. long action weight difference is only a few ounces if the guns are equal in all other aspects.

i have a Marlin XL7 in 25-06 and a XS7 in 7mm-08 and the weight difference is minimal when i weighed them.

now my Marlin XS7VH in 308 that i have modified with adding weight being one modification right now weighs more than 13.5 lbs with the scope. i still want to add some more and get it up to about 15-16 lbs. as much as it weighs, the recoil is very, very mild. i think i have a couple of rimfires that have more felt recoil than that rifle!
My favorite deer rifle at the moment is a RemM700 5R .308 with a 24in milspec barrel. I haven't weighed it but it's got to be around 13lbs, and it sure shoots sweet!

I hate carrying that thing around in the woods but I know if a deer walks out within 500 yards he's going to the house. I got my first one for this year last Friday. He came out 150 yards away and it might as well have been 15 yards. I know a lighter rifle could do the same thing, and I've got a couple that could, but there is just something about a heavy rifle.

If I have a really tough hike to my hunting spot then I'm reaching for the M700 BDL in 30-06. It has still got the walnut stock and iron sights along with the scope. That's my light weight rifle!
Old 10-26-2013, 05:23 PM   #39

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 730

Hands down the worst recoiling .308 I ever owned was a 1981 steel receiver BLR.
It hurt after a few rounds. Lets not forget how loud it was. I sold it after looking for one for about 7 years. Sometimes you just say to yourself, What was I thinking!!!!

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

People Like This 
Old 10-27-2013, 03:34 AM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Hands down the worst recoiling .308 I ever owned was a 1981 steel receiver BLR.
It hurt after a few rounds. Lets not forget how loud it was. I sold it after looking for one for about 7 years. Sometimes you just say to yourself, What was I thinking!!!!
Live and learn. We've all been there.