Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   30-06 ??? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/30-06-a-97384/)

trevor_atkinson 09-20-2013 06:08 PM

30-06 ???

Turning 18 soon and looking to buy my first rifle. Big fan if the 30-06 but haven't shot much else. Not looking to spend an arm and a leg, looking for one under 400. Any ideas where to get it or any other suggestions in other rifles?? It would be greatly appreciated thank you!!

phideaux 09-20-2013 06:10 PM

What are you gonna be using it for?

Jim

trevor_atkinson 09-20-2013 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phideaux
What are you gonna be using it for? Jim

Shooting range mostly but eventually plan to take it hunting. ( most likely hogs)

phideaux 09-20-2013 06:25 PM

There are a few under $400 out there, and they all shoot really good out of the box.
Ruger American and Savage Axis are just 2 .

Have you considered .308?

Lot less recoil, cheaper to shoot, and great ballistics.

Jim

trevor_atkinson 09-20-2013 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phideaux
There are a few under $400 out there, and they all shoot really good out of the box. Ruger American and Savage Axis are just 2 . Have you considered .308? Lot less recoil, cheaper to shoot, and great ballistics. Jim

I haven't yet but I will definatley look into it thanks!!

John_Deer 09-20-2013 08:13 PM

Right now there is a lot of surplus 30/06 ammo on the market. Brown/Silver Bear ammo is affordable. I take most of my target practice with Russian steel case ammo. My BAR is more accurate with brass cased premium ammo. But what rifle isn't more accurate with premium ammo? The 30/06 is extremely versatile. Teddy Roosevelt took every species of big game in North America with a 30/06.

The Savage axis and the Ruger American are the best price point rifles. For hog hunting you need a rifle with iron sights. No price point rifle has iron sights to my knowledge. Savage makes a 308 just for hog hunting. It has a 20" barrel and iron sights but it is out of your price range. If you can come up with a little more money the Weatherby Vanguard is great rifle for the price. It is guaranteed to shoot under a 1" group at 100 yards. Dollar for dollar the Weatherby has a place in the best rifle period argument. The Vanguard is Weatherby's beginners rifle. Howa makes great rifles. Many howa models come out of the box with a Nikon scope. Yes, they are over $400. But by the time you buy a Savage or a Ruger and put a scope on it you will spend the same money as a Howa. Howa makes Weatherby rifles.

Check out buds gun shop. Buds is an online gun shop with a huge inventory. Buds prices are fair. It's a good idea to price the rifle you end up wanting at Buds and shop for a better price.

Jagermeister 09-20-2013 08:28 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I have always used a bolt action rifle chambered in .308 for boar hunting. The round is very good. I always hit them in the heart chamber and they drop right away. Very humane. I recommend a scope or red dot/holographic sight. The iron sights are for backup. The pictures show a good hunting weapons system. You can start with less expensive system and work your way up. Maybe find a used rifle that is already set up. That is what many young hunters do. Enjoy your first rifle. Time to become the predator.:D

hairbear1 09-20-2013 09:01 PM

Jeeez Jagermeister if I could only get the money up to go to Germany to show you why the 30/06 is a better round then the .308 over a few steins of beer and a grunter hunt and then convince you that Australia is really a hunting Mecca comparable only to Africa then I would do so very quickly. :D

hairbear1 09-20-2013 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trevor_atkinson (Post 1378349)
Shooting range mostly but eventually plan to take it hunting. ( most likely hogs)

If your not use to recoil then I would suggest not benching a 30/06 too much as it's not really a bench rifle good for sighting in and load development and you may well end up with a bad flinch as it may well leave you with some lasting memories and a love bite on the shoulder.

For pigs try using a 150gn or 165gn projectile as these are 2 very good weights in the 30/06.

Jagermeister 09-20-2013 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hairbear1 (Post 1378452)
Jeeez Jagermeister if I could only get the money up to go to Germany to show you why the 30/06 is a better round then the .308 over a few steins of beer and a grunter hunt and then convince you that Australia is really a hunting Mecca comparable only to Africa then I would do so very quickly. :D

Fair enough. At least on some good company at the gasthaus. Maybe see who has the better beer. I am sure there is something better then Fosters, right?:eek: I would love to hunt in the outback though. I love a challenge. Have you had any close calls with the any critters? Boars are our main concern. I have seen them tear up some idiot hunters. I heard of one guy who got the arteries in his legs severed. The boar went in between his legs like a tunnel. You should always step sideways with a charging boar. Well, anyways, he bled to death in a matter of minutes. The tusks (we call them waffen, which means weapons) are very sharp. I have cut my hand preparing a trophy.