30-06
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > 30-06

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2012, 06:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 30-06

I have an old model 700 rem 30-06 that was given to me. It belong to a guys grandfather and he was scared of the recoil.you can tell that has been through somethings. Do any one thinks it be a great long range round? Or should I restore it back to a hunting rifle?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-28-2012, 07:23 PM   #2

Liked 749 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Well, that rifle is either a ADL or a BDL I bet. The 30.06 can hold its own at 1000yds with proper bullet weight and a target (heavy) barrel. I suspect, that rifle has a sporter barrel, which is generally used at 100 to 300 yds...but, if you know what you're doing it would be good for mid-range shooting, up to about 500-600yds. The Model 700 is thee rifle to have for customizing. If you're in to projects, that rifle is the one to use as a base. They make all types of barrels, actions and stocks for the 700. And, the 30.06 is thee caliber of choice in most applications. Depending on condition, it's a fine rifle that has everything you need.

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.

Last edited by Sonic82; 02-28-2012 at 07:26 PM.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:02 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

^^ Well said. The 30-06 is a great round, and can take down anything on this continent. It is also extremely accurate.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:33 PM   #4

Thanks. I was thinking about taking this project as far a I can. Its alot work I just wanted so other opinions.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:17 PM   #5

Liked 248 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 22

May not need restoreing just a good cleaning. get some breakfree clp,kroil oil and jb's bore paste. Not knowing the condition of the barrel soak with Kroil oil over night. Use the JB's and kroil on a patch together to clean the bore. Once you know the bores clean get some ammo and see what it will do. Older remingtons are great rifles. Nothing wrong with a nice will used looking rifle. That old rifle may out shoot the newer ones.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:34 PM   #6

Liked 749 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

As far as recoil..a 30.06 isn't bad. Keep it firm to your shoulder, pull the trigger easy and shoot with confidence. You'll find it is gentle once you're are used to it. If you know this already, I apologize in advance. I don't mean to be insulting....just don't know your level of experience.

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:41 PM   #7

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liflavor View Post
Do any one thinks it be a great long range round? Or should I restore it back to a hunting rifle?
I say "yes" to both sentiments.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:50 PM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Tell us more. How has the rifle been modified? What do you want to accomplish with it? Pics would help.

The 30-06 is a classic, proven cartridge and the Remington 700 is a classic, proven platform, proven for hunting, target shooting, and military. It is quite capable out to 400-500 yards, and some will take it much further out.

30-06 has some recoil, but it is generally manageable with good technique. You may not want to target shoot all day with it, but a few shots to sight in and a few shots while hunting should not be a problem for a healthy male. You can buy "managed recoil" rounds to soften things, but keep in mind, a managed recoil round will have lower energy at the target.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:03 AM   #9

Liked 719 Times on 496 Posts
Likes Given: 744

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepergeo View Post
Tell us more. How has the rifle been modified? What do you want to accomplish with it? Pics would help.

The 30-06 is a classic, proven cartridge and the Remington 700 is a classic, proven platform, proven for hunting, target shooting, and military. It is quite capable out to 400-500 yards, and some will take it much further out.

30-06 has some recoil, but it is generally manageable with good technique. You may not want to target shoot all day with it, but a few shots to sight in and a few shots while hunting should not be a problem for a healthy male. You can buy "managed recoil" rounds to soften things, but keep in mind, a managed recoil round will have lower energy at the target.
Now your in trouble! My sisters are 5'10" and 6'. They are built like linebackers. Either one would kick your @ss for that comment.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:43 AM   #10

I like the .30-06 for its brass. .30-06 brass is the basis for lots of other cartridges. I make 7x57 and .25-06 out of it. I just bought a supply of 200 .30-06 once fired brass. That will keep me busy for a while.
cottontop