Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > .30-06

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2008, 01:35 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default .30-06

is this caliber big enough to take down a decent sized elk? my cousin invited me to go to alaska to go hunting with him. if its not a big enough caliber, what size eould you suggest?

Last edited by lasherb1; 03-08-2008 at 01:38 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-08-2008, 02:26 AM   #2

Default easy to anser...

.A 30-06cal,,pushing a 180 grain bullet will stop a elephant,be-aware
firearm may have more recoil,but my friend has dropped around ten big elk
with his 30-06 180 grain rem core-lokt bullet one of them was a 1000,pound 7x7 huge

..I UPHOLD THE RIGHT TO KEEP AND BARE-ARMS..

Old 03-08-2008, 04:50 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The .30-06 has probably dropped more big game world wide than any other cartridge in the whole world. It is 102 years old and it is still all anyone needs to hunt anything in North America. Just use a quality bullet and put it in the right spot and there will be no problem.

Old 03-08-2008, 03:52 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

There is nothing in America that a .30-06 won't drop.

Old 03-11-2008, 02:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasherb1 View Post
is this caliber big enough to take down a decent sized elk? my cousin invited me to go to alaska to go hunting with him. if its not a big enough caliber, what size eould you suggest?
This caliber is alright to take down any size elk at the right distance. Do not try and shoot one out past four hundred yards with a 180 grain unless you have shot your gun and are confident you can hit an 18 inch circle at that distance. This is about the average kill zone on a full grown elk. If you plan on shoot at distances farther than this you might want to step up to the big boy like the 300 Win Mag. Then you will never be undergunned even to 1000 yards

Old 04-10-2008, 08:01 PM   #6

Default 30:06 bg enough?

The ought six has taken probably every game animal on the planet including plenty of BIG bears, etc. It is not ideal for woodchucks and it is NOT ideal for taking a brown bear, but it will take either one with a stout 180 grain bullet for the large stuff and a lighter bullet for the small stuff.

It is ADEQUATE for anything, and ideal for a big percentage of everything.

Dan

Old 04-10-2008, 08:20 PM   #7

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I would concur with the forum, a .30-06 is a fine hunting cartridge and should treat you fine for an Alaskan hunt.

However you might want to take along something large in the way of a back up piece, just in case.

D

Old 04-14-2008, 10:31 PM   #8

Default 30-06

The round is more than capable. The key is shot placement but that is with any firearm.

Have a good one!

Remember:
Plan for the worst, Hope for the best and if you land on your feet running life is good!!!

Old 04-14-2008, 10:50 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The 30/06 is suitable for all north american big game

The only times in this nations history that anything great happened it was because normal men put aside their petty differences and fight for a common cause.

Chester

"The great object is that every man be armed . . . Everyone who is able may have a gun." (Patrick Henry, in the Virginia Convention on the ratification of the Constitution.)

Old 04-14-2008, 11:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote3 View Post
This caliber is alright to take down any size elk at the right distance. Do not try and shoot one out past four hundred yards with a 180 grain unless you have shot your gun and are confident you can hit an 18 inch circle at that distance. This is about the average kill zone on a full grown elk. If you plan on shoot at distances farther than this you might want to step up to the big boy like the 300 Win Mag. Then you will never be undergunned even to 1000 yards
THAT IS WHY I BOUGHT MY 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSAPT9 View Post
The round is more than capable. The key is shot placement but that is with any firearm.
and this one is the key

so a 3006 will do any thing in the world with shot placement
id bet money you could kill an elephant if you hit it just right

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress....
But then I repeat myself.
-Mark Twain

Newest Threads