30-06, 300, or 308 - Page 9
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > 30-06, 300, or 308

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 06:02 PM   #81
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 283 Times on 218 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Baddad4570 - have you ever used or shot a Sheppard scope ? They are caliber & game specific w a reticle based on the sweet spot of your choice. I have heard they were even used in Vietnam and couldn't confirm it.

Ballistic reticles are almost common place now but they were one of the first. A gent said he bought a Sheppard for .22 and was hitting tin can at ridiculous ranges. In theory, the glass has done the math but the shooter still has to dope the wind & range conditions.

Laser range finders have taken some of the SWAG factor out of LR shooting. I like the idea of ribbons @ different ranges. The hard part is watching the ribbons, then finding something in nature that reacts to wind speed in a similar manner. Good training.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:17 AM   #82

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla
Baddad4570 - have you ever used or shot a Sheppard scope ? They are caliber & game specific w a reticle based on the sweet spot of your choice. I have heard they were even used in Vietnam and couldn't confirm it.

Ballistic reticles are almost common place now but they were one of the first. A gent said he bought a Sheppard for .22 and was hitting tin can at ridiculous ranges. In theory, the glass has done the math but the shooter still has to dope the wind & range conditions.

Laser range finders have taken some of the SWAG factor out of LR shooting. I like the idea of ribbons @ different ranges. The hard part is watching the ribbons, then finding something in nature that reacts to wind speed in a similar manner. Good training.
I have seen them advertised but never had an opportunity to test drive one or know one who has. I do like the reticle and find it intriguing enough to have checked prices but never committed to a purchase. Did not do enough research to find out if it is a product of good quality. If any one reading this should happen to have experience with sheppards optics I would like to hear an opinion. I'm not shy to admit I use range finders. I'd be screwed with out one. I'm a horrible judge of distance I've carried one with me for many years. All the way back to the ones that you ran the two images together to judge the range. Remember those haha. Pure crap, I have one some place.

Old 01-11-2013, 04:44 AM   #83

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I've never used the shepherd optics, but a friend of mine uses them and swears by them. He tried to talk me into one a while ago but it was out of my price range. I've looked through his and they seem pretty interesting.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:27 AM   #84

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by -06
Man what a long thread on such a "simple" question--lol. OK-starting another on what to re barrel my '03 with.
Sorry about the long thread. can't help it, it's my nature. So here's another one. I'm assuming you are referring to the 03A3. Not sure if it is a A1 or an A3 and more than likely you plan on keeping it chambered in 30-06. Is it mill. grade or modified? I have a 03A3 model of 1903 that was sported and weaver scoped. It was my dads favorite hunting rifle and we re barreled with a unused surplus 4 land/groove tube. Brings back many great hunts ant range sessions with my dad. As far as a hunting rifle it turned out sub MOA at 100 yards with good hand loads and loved 165gr sierras. Have to say it is my most cherished of my collection. Because of the age of these actions most will tell you to be concerned about the strength of the steel in the actions. Rock Island, Springfield and Remington all built these actions for our military. The military proofed them to 125,000 psi plus. From my notes the Remington produced actions where much stronger and used a better mix of alloys in the steel. Rocks and Springfields where known to have brittle steel and could fail with high pressure loads and rechambering for larger magnum calibers loaded to maximum pressures. Research for yourself always but the A1 was Remington and stamped 1903 the A3 was of the other two. Any numbers under 3348086 should be an A1. For barrels other than mill spec. ER Shaw, Hart and Shilen make good barrels but not sure if they supply barrels that directly thread to 03 actions. If you have the duckets to spend and don't mind waiting check out ABS carbon barrels. Nothing sweeter than a old meets new carbon barreled 03 on a custom bed with tactical glass. I'd use a 26" tube to squeeze every bit out of a 06 with a 1 and 10 twist. Carbon barrels reduce weight and increase felt recoil but shouldn't be a problem with an 06. They are more ridged with less harmonics and dissipate heat much better and that means no wondering shots on a string. A good smith can square the bolt face, receiver and lugs mate a new barrel and set head space and produce an accurate rig. If this gets you drooling thanks for letting me help you spend your money. Enjoy your 03 they are great guns.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:43 PM   #85

Liked 34 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Shot three times nearing "dark thirty" at a small herd. My son was with me and asked if I was using an auto loader. Like you said about your dad---it was/is my favorite deer rifle. BTW, dragged three out that night.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:17 PM   #86

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by -06
Shot three times nearing "dark thirty" at a small herd. My son was with me and asked if I was using an auto loader. Like you said about your dad---it was/is my favorite deer rifle. BTW, dragged three out that night.
Ok short thread! And the so called experts say one of the draw backs to the 03 is the longer lock time...... HA!

Old 01-13-2013, 12:52 AM   #87
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 283 Times on 218 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by -06 View Post
I'm just not that fast w bolt action. I've read about African PH who cycle during recoil and by the time the barrel comes down they are ready to fire.