30-06, 300, or 308 - Page 7
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > 30-06, 300, or 308

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 12:07 AM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 13

"I am looking for a good long range deer hunting gun....
800 yards...."

Simple for me. I'll be carring my .45 ACP 1911 and a good pair of field glasses. I won't be shooting at anything but I can do some looking. That's too far for me to be shooting.

Enjoy,

OSOK

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 01-07-2013, 07:51 AM   #62

Liked 395 Times on 216 Posts
Likes Given: 31

I use 165gn Game Kings in the 30/06AI but ohers over here use 180gn Barnes,Woodleigh's on our Reds, Sambar,Fallow,Chital deer.

The ability to think and speak doesn't necessarily guarantee intelligence

Old 01-07-2013, 02:32 PM   #63

Liked 181 Times on 134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis
.30-06 Ackley Improved.
Could someone fill me n on what ackley improved is?

Old 01-07-2013, 02:56 PM   #64
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2033 Times on 1395 Posts
Likes Given: 772

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
John Deer, i am not trying to be critical, but pretty sure isn't ethical. you need to know for a fact that you can hit your target. and there is only one thing that will ensure that fact. that's trigger time. setting up targets at that distance, and being able to hit each and every time you pull the trigger. if you can't achieve this, then you are nowhere near ready for that type of shooting distances.
I will condense my statement I said "It's hard to find deer you have shot a long distance away. I backed my statement by sharing my experience in the soybean field. I dropped the deer on the spot and it took us an hour to find it. Once you take your eyes off a spot where the deer fell they can be hard to find, especially when everything looks the same. That field was at least 100 acres of brown. I don't care who took the shot they could not have done it better. We likely walked within 10 yards of the deer a dozen times before we found it.

If you can't appreciate this situation I would advise you to get some hunting experience before commenting.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 01-07-2013, 03:17 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin92 View Post
Could someone fill me n on what ackley improved is?
Ream out the chamber, increase the volume available, make a sharper shoulder to the specs for the Ackley and it is now improved. (This is all done with a specific reaming tool.)

The added volume will hold greater amounts of powder, thus giving a greater potential of velocity.

The brass is 'fire formed' from the original chambering brass. The same bullet diameter is still used.

Enjoy,

OSOK

Last edited by oldpapps; 01-07-2013 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Added brass info
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 01-07-2013, 03:55 PM   #66

Liked 181 Times on 134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpapps

Ream out the chamber, increase the volume available, make a sharper shoulder to the specs for the Ackley and it is now improved. (This is all done with a specific reaming tool.)

The added volume will hold greater amounts of powder, thus giving a greater potential of velocity.

The brass is 'fire formed' from the original chambering brass. The same bullet diameter is still used.
So after it's reamed out you fire the rounds to expand the brass to the new size and then hand load them hotter than factory specs in a thinner chamber? Sounds dangerous lol

Old 01-07-2013, 04:26 PM   #67

Liked 34 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Have been using '06s for 40+ yrs and have never lost a deer with them. There are more powerful rounds, shorter rounds, but over all '06s have well proved their place as America's favorite. Loaded some 200s, 180s, and a couple blocks of 150s over the weekend. Ready to play now.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:24 PM   #68

Liked 34 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Or take that money you spent and go get one of the .300 magnums and be done with it. But for those enjoy the process it is a good round.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:29 PM   #69

Liked 341 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I have two .308's and two 300 WinMags - there is a big difference between the two. If you look at the ballistics between the 30-06 and the 308 it is very similar. You need more then one.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:55 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin92 View Post
So after it's reamed out you fire the rounds to expand the brass to the new size and then hand load them hotter than factory specs in a thinner chamber? Sounds dangerous lol
Yes to a point. There is no factory specs, so to speak. The chamber isn't truly thinner, just moved forward in the barrel, more or less. After the first 'fire forming', the brass is sized in sizing dies that are the same as the new chamber, this gives the greater volume.

Look at the .222 Remington round. It was lengthened to make the .222 Remington magnum and then the shoulder angle was changed to increase case volume a little more (and shorten the neck). This is the basic concept. (Actually the Ackley pre-dates the .222 Remington by many years.) The process was common for many years. I consider it all but unnecessary with the new/er powders. But then, I don't load/shoot super hot loads anyway.

Many people have had very good results with the Ackley and variations of it. Don't ignore something that works well.

Enjoy,

OSOK