30-06, 300, or 308 - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > 30-06, 300, or 308

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 06:40 PM   #51
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5747 Times on 3252 Posts
Likes Given: 5186

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
if a person can't shoot accurately, makes poor bullet selection and doesn't make the proper shot placement, then the caliber used is of little importance. really wouldn't matter what they were using. still comes down to what i preach, practice, practice and more practice.

are there cartridges that are better at longer ranges than a 30-06? yes there are. but there are many people who hunt that think going to a larger magnum rifle will allow them to overcome their inability to shoot at a longer distance. i wonder how many game animals were wounded because a hunter exceeded his skill level with a rifle? probably quite a few.

Over the years I have lost several good hunting days helping track down a wounded animal that some "wannabe sniper" jackass tried to shoot at 500 or more yards.

Winston Churchill
People Like This 
Old 01-01-2013, 06:52 PM   #52

Liked 158 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 84

Most people don't realize just what a pain it is to place a bullet on a paper plate at even 600 yards. All of the variables such as wind velocity, humidity, temperature, elevation, bullet velocity/coefficient! Not to mention rifle, scope and the ability of the person running the booger finder.....and then there is the round count in your barrel at which you incur no stringing between cleanings.

I know lots of people that say they can do it but somehow find a reason not to put their money where their mouth is. These are the same people that watch the long range hunting shows and think that it is just a matter of sighting in the rifle at 200 yards! These are the same people that go hunting with sixty rounds of ammo, burn through half of it and return home with no game to process. I loathe these kind of idiots! Who knows how many animals were wounded and will not be available for the next season for an ethical hunter. I guess it helps the coyotes that most people shoot AT instead of kill.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:56 PM   #53
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21584 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by dteed4094 View Post
A true "HUNTER", in my opinion would not attempt a shot over 400 yds. I don't care how far the property reaches, He would minimize the distance with hunting skills. Being able to take the shot just because you have a large parcel of land only means it would be a safe shot if you missed. Any one of your rifle options would be more than adaquate for deer. The versatility of the 30/06 has been proven time and time again over the last century plus. You also need to keep in mind; the kill zone shrinks as the range increases. Hunter and shooter are not in any way synonomous. You can be a great hunter even with limited shooting skills and you can be a great shooter with no hunting skills but shooting a deer at 500 or 600 yds. makes you a good shooter with no hunting skills or ethics. JMHO
Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
[/B]

Over the years I have lost several good hunting days helping track down a wounded animal that some "wannabe sniper" jackass tried to shoot at 500 or more yards.
for the most part i agree with both of these posts. an ethical hunter realizes his limitations and doesn't exceed them. he knows that if the animal is beyond his personal effective range, that he either needs to pass on the shot or wait until it gets closer or move himself in closer.

i have three cousins who hunt elk in Colorado every year and have been for over thirty years. not one of them fails to fill their elk tag every year. they also hunt with the same guide every year. some of their kills are at anywhere from 350-500 yards. these three guys are not the typical hunter. they reload, and shoot year round with loads they work up. they shoot way more than the average hunter will in a weekend, will ever shoot in a lifetime. i target shoot with them a few times a year and they well above average in their shooting abilities.

a person needs to know their rifle and ammo and know the limits of their own realistic abilities. this will be different for every person. a person wants to hunt at longer distances, then they need to practice at longer distances until they can hit each and everytime they pull trigger, accurately.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:16 PM   #54

Liked 375 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I've got a 30/06AI that weighs in around 7lbs tops and I've used it on mainly pigs,goats and 2 years ago on a culling trip to our Northern Territory used it on feral horses,pigs,wild dogs and donkeys with great success using a 165gn Sierra Game King with 61.5gns of AR2209.
Most shots were bang flops and the longest shot was probably around 200yds.

People over here have used the .308 and 30/06 on water buffalo not really a good thing to do as your under gunned for a start but they've been dropped.

Our deer over here range from the Labrador sized Hog Deer to the mighty Sambar which will absorb a lot of lead from any calibre and blokes over here have been known to use a .458 on them but mostly a lot use .30 and .35 cal's or a 30/06 with a good 180gn Woodleigh,Barnes,Hornady.

With the Red and Sambar deer ranges can be anywhere from 10yds to 150yds depending on the terrain which is generally hilly.

Shooting deer to most Aussie deer hunters at 400+YDS is very foreign as the chances of wounding or missing is greater than actually sneaking/crawling up to an acceptable range as most of our deer inhabit very scrubby, hilly territory so a wounded deer is more than likely a lost deer.
The other thing to is that given the current anti gun/hunting enviroment a wounded,bleeding deer popping up in front of a bunch of campers,bushwalkers would have the media,tree huggers/greens running themselves into a handwringing frenzy.

So you owe it to yourself,the animal and our sport to do it right and get in close and use one shot,one kill and nothing is more satisfying than getting to within a 100yds or less and dropping a deer,pig etc using your stalking ability and dropping the game with your own ability and not relying on a bench rest and all the fancy do dats and playing super sniper......just my opinion,regards

The ability to think and speak doesn't necessarily guarantee intelligence

dteed4094 Likes This 
Old 01-01-2013, 09:57 PM   #55

Liked 33 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
if a person can't shoot accurately, makes poor bullet selection and doesn't make the proper shot placement, then the caliber used is of little importance. really wouldn't matter what they were using. still comes down to what i preach, practice, practice and more practice.

are there cartridges that are better at longer ranges than a 30-06? yes there are. but there are many people who hunt that think going to a larger magnum rifle will allow them to overcome their inability to shoot at a longer distance. i wonder how many game animals were wounded because a hunter exceeded his skill level with a rifle? probably quite a few.
I agree, especially with with your last sentence. Also some think they can take the latest an greatest Whiz Bang caliber out and lay em low without getting to know their rifle. (One the advantages of rolling your own, and practice)

Old 01-01-2013, 10:03 PM   #56
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21584 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye77 View Post
I agree, especially with with your last sentence. Also some think they can take the latest an greatest Whiz Bang caliber out and lay em low without getting to know their rifle. (One the advantages of rolling your own, and practice)
are there cartridges better suited to shooting longer distances than the 30-06? yes, but the fact remains, the 30-06 has a proven track record of over 100 years as being able to get the job done. if it weren't capable, it would have been obsolete years ago.

trigger time is the only way to know how your rifle will perform and how to become a better shooter.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:56 AM   #57

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 730

Quote:
most ethical hunters who shoot very well and with the proper rifle cartridge and ammo will usually stop at about 500-600 yards. i agree pretty much anthing past that, including into the 800-1000 yard range should be limited to paper targets. you low a shot on a paper tage by a foot all you do is mess up your score. blow that same shot on an animal, well you will probably end up traking a wounded animal that you may not be able to find. sorry but this is getting into distances that i consider to be unethical and i will not give any suggestions or advice to someone so they can use it in an unethical manner.

as another poster on this thread said, 300 WM is a 1000 yard rifle. yes that may be true and there are many rifles and cartridges that have that capability, but that doesn't mean the person behind the trigger has that capability.
I really think that 400 yards is a very long shot. I use to shoot 700 yards at paper w/ my .308. No at game over 400 w/ my 7mm Rem mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop View Post
A 300 what?
cottontop
When I saw this I thought .300 Savage. Similar to the others two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeere View Post
We are running around a 13000ac cattle farm in the middle of the country so i have enough room to to use whichever gun but i need a long hard hitting gun
My experiance w/ deer and cattle is the deer mingle w/ the cattle making any shot impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye77 View Post
I vote for the .300 WSM also. Next choice 7mm WSM. I don't believe any 06 is a 400yd plus gun. Just my opinion.
400 yards is the right hands a .30-06 can take whitetail without issue. W/ a 180gr it has enough energy for Elk at 400 yards. W/ a MV of 2650 it has 1510fpe. The bullet drop is the issue after 400 yards. Most scopes don't have the adjustment needed to make a clean kill. At 450 yards it is 9.9moa from a 100 yards zero. W/ 1/4" adjustments that is 40 clicks.
I'm not a big fan of the WSM. W/ my 7mm Rem mag and a 140gr Barnes FB I need 6.9moa adjustment at 450 and 8.2moa at 500yards w/ a 100 yard zero. It has enough energy at that range for Elk, not Ideal, but enough. I would never take a shot over 400 yards though. Too many variables.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

People Like This 
Old 01-02-2013, 01:07 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh

I really think that 400 yards is a very long shot. I use to shoot 700 yards at paper w/ my .308. No at game over 400 w/ my 7mm Rem mag

When I saw this I thought .300 Savage. Similar to the others two.

My experiance w/ deer and cattle is the deer mingle w/ the cattle making any shot impossible.

400 yards is the right hands a .30-06 can take whitetail without issue. W/ a 180gr it has enough energy for Elk at 400 yards. W/ a MV of 2650 it has 1510fpe. The bullet drop is the issue after 400 yards. Most scopes don't have the adjustment needed to make a clean kill. At 450 yards it is 9.9moa from a 100 yards zero. W/ 1/4" adjustments that is 40 clicks.
I'm not a big fan of the WSM. W/ my 7mm Rem mag and a 140gr Barnes FB I need 6.9moa adjustment at 450 and 8.2moa at 500yards w/ a 100 yard zero. It has enough energy at that range for Elk, not Ideal, but enough. I would never take a shot over 400 yards though. Too many variables.
On our farm the deer tend to stay in different fields than the cows making most every shot in range possible.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:50 PM   #59

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

What would you recommend for bullet weight out of the 30-06 targeting deer? I've been using 130 gr Federal nosler in my 270 which work very nicely. i shoot nothing over 250 yards and most shots are well under100 here in NY.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:20 PM   #60

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firenailer View Post
What would you recommend for bullet weight out of the 30-06 targeting deer? I've been using 130 gr Federal nosler in my 270 which work very nicely. i shoot nothing over 250 yards and most shots are well under100 here in NY.
I shoot 180g nosler ballistic tip but any bullet from a 06 will be fine for deer

Newest Threads