30-06 or .270
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > 30-06 or .270

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2010, 10:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 30-06 or .270

I went hunting for the first time of my life this year and i'm hooked but i want to get my own rifle. living in florida deer arent as big as other place so i was wondering if i should get a savage 30.06 or a savage .270 both have the accu-trigger and come with a good 3x9 scope. i have handled handguns before and i was just wondering what rifle to go for and this was the place to ask.

thank you and god bless

vince

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-26-2010, 10:40 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Welcome to the FTF Community. I imagine the guys & gals here will want you to stop by the introductions and tell us a little about yourself. That is your choice, but it's generally a good way for folks to get comfortable with you.

As to your question, I am afraid I have one for you:

If Florida deer aren't that big, is there a reason you want a magnum caliber action and rifle??

Because I think a .243 would probably do everything you need it to in that part of the country and it comes in a smaller, lighter and probably cheaper short action.

Just a thought....

JD

Old 04-26-2010, 10:45 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

For every 10,000 people you ask there will be 10,000 answers. My opinion, if you want either one of those cartridges go with the 270--it is a little easier on the sholder and very effective up to and including elk/moose. Good luck!

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"

Old 04-26-2010, 10:54 PM   #4

thank you for your replys i wanted a gun that i could use for just about everything my baseball scholorship brings me up notrh with bigger game which is why i didnt look at the .243 i was leaning towards the .270 though

Old 04-26-2010, 11:01 PM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Ah hell, you are still young and bulletproof.

Go with the .30-06 then.

You Up or DOWN load that cartridge for every mammal in North America. There is probably not a 2 or 4 legged creature walking this continent that you can't find a load for in that magnificent beast.

The .30-06 is God's Own Caliber - Go with that and it will serve you well forever.

Then when you get older and aren't as immortal, then you can worry about a .270 or a .243

Old 04-27-2010, 01:10 AM   #6

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by closer View Post
I went hunting for the first time of my life this year and i'm hooked but i want to get my own rifle. living in florida deer arent as big as other place so i was wondering if i should get a savage 30.06 or a savage .270 both have the accu-trigger and come with a good 3x9 scope. i have handled handguns before and i was just wondering what rifle to go for and this was the place to ask.

thank you and god bless

vince

Either will do just fine though living in Florida I'm sure the locals will steer you to a .270 which seems to be the state's official caliber. I would prefer a 7mm-08 (my favorite deer and everything caliber) or even a .308 but I just like short actions guns better.

Old 04-27-2010, 01:17 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Both choices are good but check .308 as well.

I went through the same recently and settled on .308

Old 04-27-2010, 06:16 AM   #8

From a fellow Florida hunter who's been hunting Florida game for 30+ years...
The 30-06 is too powerful of a caliber for hunting Florida deer. Of your two choices the .270 is more of a universal hunting caliber and will suit your needs better. Savage is definitly the rifle to get. What made you decide on a Savage Arms rifle?

Some Florida Buck hunters do use a rifle chambered in .243 usually in wide open fields with woods surroundings. Their target range is usually 50-75 yards and greater. Also, the .243 is a good varmint caliber for hunting Florida bobcats, coyotes, etc.
I use a 30/30 to hunt deer in my neck of the woods. I hunt in thick swampy woods so small branches, limbs and brush are usually in the way of my target. I need a round that will travel straight through the dense woods. My target range is usually between 50 & 75 yards.

What area did you hunt in on your last trip?

Old 04-27-2010, 04:48 PM   #9

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The bottom line is just about any of the deer class cartridges will do nicely. The deer won't be able to tell you what they was shot with so that leaves the rifle being user friendly. I n that respect you want a rifle cartridge that will have more than enough "oomph" without being hard on your shoulder. Are you going to order your ammo online, go through local dealers, or start reloading? The .270, .260, or 7mm08 (my choice) will all have more than enough power for what you're wanting to do and be very kind to your shoulder. Later you'll be able to move up when needed but the cartridges I listed will still be plenty for even elk sized animals with the proper bullets. That's my opinion.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 05-08-2010, 04:54 PM   #10

Well i went to the gun store today and they gave me an offer i couldnt refuse they sold me a brand new savage .308 accutrigger accustock for $400 thanks for the replies really helped me alot